Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[SPOILERS] Only about half way through, but it's brilliant!
Rush Head Offline

Threads: 1
[SPOILERS] Only about half way through, but it's brilliant!

Just thought I'd stop lurking and express my thoughts on this game. Keep in mind I'm at the point where I'm still trying to get into the Morgue to get the vaccine.

When I first started playing Amnesia, I was absolutely terrified of everything around me. However, I find it quite cool (and realistic) that after a few hours of play I'm much more hardened to the game's attempts to scare me. As I hear the sounds of a certain area, I grow accustomed to them, and my confidence grows; plus I know how to deal with the monsters much more effectively. Although there a few things that still get me, like that weird photo of Alexander when my sanity is low.

I would've really liked some new environments though. They're pretty diverse as they are, I suppose, but an exterior could still be pulled off pretty well with the game's mechanic. I'm not completely sure about this, but maybe there could be some other human characters you could meet? Not necessarily allies - in fact it would be cool if there another human just like you (trying to survive, pretty damn scared) but who actually wants to stop you from succeeding, maybe even try to kill you.

Another interesting mechanic is if the Shadow is a independent, dynamic entity just like you. Maybe the Shadow can move around Castle Brennenburg using the doors, and can sneak up on you using this. Likewise, you can sneak up on it, not that it would do you much good. But it may be a bit too scary!

Finally, I am too intrigued by this to not mention it, but you know the area in the Sewers, where you have to turn 3 wheels to drain the sewer? There's a faint murmur coming from a blocky structure in there (the game even points this out), but once you've drained the sewer, it says 'the voice is silent'. Now, don't tell me what's going on here, but is it revealed what the hell is going on? Or is it another oddity of Castle Brennenburg?

So, this is an awesome game; normally I hate horror games, but after painfully pursuing the first parts of the game I find myself pulled in by the game's mystique and the urge to find out the secrets in Castle Brennenburg!
DERP, sorry for the double post. But I also wanted to mention the place with the fountain, where you can heal yourself.

Damn, the transition from scary place to safe place was so well done. I felt so perfectly at ease in that large hall, it was remarkable. When I returned and found it all fucked up, I was really annoyed.

That is all.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2010, 07:06 PM by Rush Head.)
09-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10
RE: [SPOILERS] Only about half way through, but it's brilliant!

(09-26-2010, 07:00 PM)Rush Head Wrote: Finally, I am too intrigued by this to not mention it, but you know the area in the Sewers, where you have to turn 3 wheels to drain the sewer? There's a faint murmur coming from a blocky structure in there (the game even points this out), but once you've drained the sewer, it says 'the voice is silent'. Now, don't tell me what's going on here, but is it revealed what the hell is going on? Or is it another oddity of Castle Brennenburg?

That's the Cistern, and yes, that's an interesting point. My theories are that you are drowning a person trapped in that chamber, as the cries increase but go silent with the final valve :|

Maybe it even has something to do with the water lurker, a ritual to make it appear or extend the time it can spend in this world?

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
09-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Find
Rush Head Offline

Threads: 1
RE: [SPOILERS] Only about half way through, but it's brilliant!

Aye, I did notice the water gushing into the cell, and the thought of a drowning man did come to mind.
09-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Find