Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.78 Average
Idea: Hardcore Amnesia
house Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Idea: Hardcore Amnesia

(10-06-2010, 02:40 AM)Kyle Wrote: I would like seeing a more scary Amnesia, except I havn't even finished it yet... Big Grin

I just can't handle it! Doom 3 and Dead Space you could actually shoot the monsters, except in this game, you just run and hide as if you are completely defensless and useless (you are Big Grin)!

They were going to add a pickaxe in the game. But they didn't. I don't know but I think the code is still in amnesia.
10-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

too many monsters will desensitize the player. as it is i was less scared by the end even with enemies nearby. any more would ruin the game. less light and items are good though
10-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Website Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

I completed the game about a week ago so my last post is out of date... :/

10-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Find
HakePT Offline

Threads: 1

(10-04-2010, 10:56 PM)harlequ1n Wrote: But what I got from this game is that it's way more frightening to "believe" there is something lurking in the shadows about to attack you than have a thousand monsters giving chase of you. Most of the time while playing the game I felt terrorised by the unsettling sounds and cries around that were just there to play with my mind.

In the end I guess it's scarier to anticipate danger than to actually face it.

Precisely. Fear its the body way of saying: "Stay away from danger."

In other words if you think a monster may jump just around the corner you feel fear.

When a monster appears fear reaches the peak, but when the monster is chasing you fear kinda disappears. If you feel in danger the body pumps more adrenaline to fight fear and maybe incoming pain xD
That why people see/play horror games and do crazy sports.

If the player dies a lot and realizes that he will just respawn and everything will be ok monsters lose their fear factor. So the best horror games make the player feel like he barely escaped death, even if he never really was in that big of a danger. They must feel pressed, without actually being killed.

Like parachuting out of a airplane. There isn't much risk involved but you know that if you mess it up, your dead. Thats fear. While falling you feel the adrenaline.
11-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Find
Vincent Offline

Threads: 7

(11-03-2010, 06:53 PM)HakePT Wrote:
(10-04-2010, 10:56 PM)harlequ1n Wrote: But what I got from this game is that it's way more frightening to "believe" there is something lurking in the shadows about to attack you than have a thousand monsters giving chase of you. Most of the time while playing the game I felt terrorised by the unsettling sounds and cries around that were just there to play with my mind.

In the end I guess it's scarier to anticipate danger than to actually face it.

Precisely. Fear its the body way of saying: "Stay away from danger."

In other words if you think a monster may jump just around the corner you feel fear.

When a monster appears fear reaches the peak, but when the monster is chasing you fear kinda disappears. If you feel in danger the body pumps more adrenaline to fight fear and maybe incoming pain xD
That why people see/play horror games and do crazy sports.

If the player dies a lot and realizes that he will just respawn and everything will be ok monsters lose their fear factor. So the best horror games make the player feel like he barely escaped death, even if he never really was in that big of a danger. They must feel pressed, without actually being killed.

Like parachuting out of a airplane. There isn't much risk involved but you know that if you mess it up, your dead. Thats fear. While falling you feel the adrenaline.

Couldn't have phrased it any better.

[Image: 14014353645647cc447974.gif]
11-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Find
Shinjou Offline

Threads: 0

Making it "Hardcore" as u say, would actually ruin the game mood... it's supposed to be scary... not a wannabe "GET TO DA CHOPPA!" action game -.-'

Please keep in mind that Amnesia is a game that is made of 3 things: Mood(85%), Realistic First person action(10%) and last but not least, Pure Awesomesauce(5%).

More flying books and more monsters would mean that it's not a scary haunted castle anymore, it would be some kind sick, twisted House of Doom-ish Apocalypse: "DODGE THE BOOKS! AW CRAP, I CAN'T MOVE! *insanity kicks in* oh snap, INCOMING! *Daniel Gets ripped to shreds by 15 Demon-Zombies*".

The way i see it, Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 are the games you want my friend, not amnesia.
Tongue

Metal has three forms, Solid, Liquid, and Gas form... even water has these forms! HELL, ALLMOST EVERYTHING HAS THOSE FORMS! Thinking the way i do makes the world damn boring... everything is made of gasses T_T
11-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Find
iarik0440 Offline

Threads: 3

heres another idea: in the game (anywhere you want ex. in the end, beggining, middle) make a round that you are in a big labyrynth and trying to get out and in the labyrynth servant grunts and brutes wondering around you need to gather 4 keys for a big gate that has 4 doors in it andthe keys are lying somewhere between the monsters.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2011, 12:37 PM by iarik0440.)
01-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Find
Peanuckle Offline

Threads: 4

(01-22-2011, 12:34 PM)iarik0440 Wrote: heres another idea: in the game (anywhere you want ex. in the end, beggining, middle) make a round that you are in a big labyrynth and trying to get out and in the labyrynth servant grunts and brutes wondering around you need to gather 4 keys for a big gate that has 4 doors in it andthe keys are lying somewhere between the monsters.

So kind of like the Prison level? Big Grin

Even better would be a labyrinth with only one monster that slowly progresses towards you, no matter what path you take, much like
Spoiler below!
the shadow chase scene after the prison.
It would be very unforgiving to take a wrong path, or to take too long.
04-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Find
skypeskype Offline

Threads: 6

*Daniel wakes up and suddenly a rock comes flying through the window, hits Daniel, Him passing away for a few days, waking up to find out that some grunts captured him and took him to the prison. Then alexander comes, opens the prison door, and everything goes dark. Daniel Escapes the prison, but now a brute is following him. He sets a trap for the brute but when the brute falls, his blade flyes away, hits a lamp, some furniture, breaks some windows AND BOOM INTRO DANIELS HEAD. Then Daniel wakes up and realises it was just a dream, then the doorbell rings. As he aprouches the door, he hears some growling coming from outside. He looks on the window and sees some grunts and Alexander leading them. Daniel picks up a huge sword and a shield AND HE GOES TO FIGHT THEM. After many hours, daniels wins supreme, kills alexander and lives happily ever after

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE END !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*heavy breathing* THIS is what I call a hardcore story.
04-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Website Find
KenOfAllTrades Offline

Threads: 2

You'd be targeting a small audience with this idea. Personally, when I play with unpredictable monsters in Amnesia, it's nearly impossible for me to play for more than one minute at a time. If the puzzles required more running around I'd still be unable to play very much, as walking around in Amnesia usually slowly drains my ability to play without the fear taking over me.

Amnesia should remain untouched in my opinion. As I said, you'd probably be targeting a small audience

I probably made a LP of this! Youtube channel here!
04-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Find