Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 2.64 Average
Memoirs of a Dead man (Demo release)
Tyrant T100 Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Memoirs of a Dead man (Work in Progress)

Upstairs of the East wing is done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NPRM_9R6Ng

A demo will be released as soon as I learn how to script between maps. E.g Foyer doors link to individual maps.
02-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(02-01-2011, 11:25 PM)Tyrant T100 Wrote: Upstairs of the East wing is done.

A demo will be released as soon as I learn how to script between maps. E.g Foyer doors link to individual maps.

This is getting scarier. When I read the description, I somehow felt a chill going down my back. Don't know how it happened, but it must be the music that I heard during the video.

Progress appears to be going pretty well. Things come to those who wait.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
02-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Website Find
Tyrant T100 Offline

Thanks. I figured out yesterday how to make different maps load from each other, so expect the demo within the week.

(02-12-2011, 01:18 PM)Nemet Robert Wrote:
(02-01-2011, 11:25 PM)Tyrant T100 Wrote: Upstairs of the East wing is done.

This is getting scarier. When I read the description, I somehow felt a chill going down my back. Don't know how it happened, but it must be the music that I heard during the video.

Progress appears to be going pretty well. Things come to those who wait.
02-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Find
Tyrant T100 Offline

The Demo is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2ujy92elkh...20Demo.zip

In the Demo you are restricted to all of the main rooms of the mansion, and the plot specific rooms and the cellar are not included. However the mansion is still large and should be enjoyable for you to explore.
Please let me know of any errors you find. All I know of currently is a clipping issue on the staircase.

You spawn in the Foyer and can access the other wings, after exiting a wing you are teleported back to the Manors front door.
02-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Find
Need4Power Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Memoirs of a Dead man (Demo release)

Finally a demo! Big Grin
i will try it now and tell you later my opinion about the demo Wink
02-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Find
Dark Knight Offline

Threads: 5

(02-18-2011, 09:26 PM)Tyrant T100 Wrote: The Demo is here:

You spawn in the Foyer and can access the other wings, after exiting a wing you are teleported back to the Manors front door.

horrible atmosphere, and no grunts?Shy
add grunts please, because there too many rooms, big variety for escaping!

just found a key at right wing on 2-nd floor, but theres nothing to open with it. has 2 blocked doors the same wing, but key not worked.

need help!

===========
and btw, in East wing i can"t hear any music, as you described:

horrible 2-nd floor rooms, excellent!Tongue
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2011, 01:22 PM by Dark Knight.)
02-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Find
Bulbatron Offline

Threads: 7

Dark Knight, as it says on the first page, the full mod will be purely psychological, with no emphasis on combat. It will just be an eerie mystery to be solved.

Is that about right, Tyrant T100?

I will have a go on the demo as soon as possible.

Wow - what a mansion!
02-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Find
Tyrant T100 Offline

(02-19-2011, 01:12 PM)Dark Knight Wrote:
(02-18-2011, 09:26 PM)Tyrant T100 Wrote: The Demo is here:

horrible atmosphere, and no grunts?Shy
add grunts please, because there too many rooms, big variety for escaping!

just found a key at right wing on 2-nd floor, but theres nothing to open with it. has 2 blocked doors the same wing, but key not worked.

need help!

===========
and btw, in East wing i can"t hear any music, as you described:

horrible 2-nd floor rooms, excellent!Tongue
Music doesn't play in the demo because it isn't coded in yet. Also no doors are to be unlocked in the demo hence why the key doesn't do anything.

(02-19-2011, 01:22 PM)Bulbatron Wrote: Dark Knight, as it says on the first page, the full mod will be purely psychological, with no emphasis on combat. It will just be an eerie mystery to be solved.

Is that about right, Tyrant T100?

I will have a go on the demo as soon as possible.
Yep that's right, no combat or enemies.
Obviously when the full mod comes out the mansion will have a soundscape but for the demo the only important thing is exploration.
02-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Find
Bulbatron Offline

Threads: 7

Played the demo. Just a couple of points.

1). You might want to double-check for punctuation. Not that I'm an expert by a long way, but I just noticed a missing apostrophe in the description.

2). There were a couple of occasions when, I would turn away from a windows, and the light coming from it would suddenly cease, and it woud become dark. When I turn back to the window, the light (floor reflections etc) would just switch back on again.

3). There is a chest of drawers where pulling one drawer open causes them all to open. I'm sorry, I can't remember exactly where the room is, but it's an interior room with no windows if I remember correctly, and there are some shelves with books in there. I don't know whether the thing with the drawers is deliberate or a mistake. But if it's a mistake, I'd be tempted to suggest you leave it as it is. After all, drawers do sometimes get stuck in real life.

4). When entering a new area, the player drops slightly, as though he appeared slightly above the level of the floor.

5). I still think it's a shame there's no attic.

Right, that's the negatives out of the way. Those points aside, I bloody loved it and I can't wait to play the final game! I think you've created an amazing atmosphere! Particularly in the wing where the wind is blowing. It was a real pleasure to finally be able to explore the mansion. I think you've done amazing work. Bravo!

I'm assuming the demo was set during the night. I wonder how different it will look and feel during the day...

Wow - what a mansion!
02-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Find
Tyrant T100 Offline

(02-19-2011, 11:01 PM)Bulbatron Wrote: -snip-
Thanks, it does take place during the night but the lighting is a bit inconsistent in some areas due to the map files taking place on different nights during the storyline.
I'll take a look at fixing the flickering lights, I'm pretty sure that comes from a glitching sphere on a point_light.
Also the dropping is caused by the player spawns, however oddly they are touching the floor, putting them lower results in the play getting stuck so I'm a but mythed on that.
Also with the attic there probably will be one, but it will be accessed through the locked section of the east wing.
02-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Find