Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My showcase
brunoalysson Offline

Threads: 2
Photo  My showcase

"This thread is to post my progress with the mod, right now i'm just getting used with the editor, my plans are to finish more two levels and start creating the new assets, every asset in the game will be made from scratch and i will be releasing entirely for the community.

Update 1 :
I just finished some lighting study in a dungeon area, i wanted warm colors and a foggy look to it.
Edit #1 : Improved level by adding particles, billboards and lowering the torches based on Slanderous feedback.

Screenshots :
Dungeon:
Spoiler below!
[Image: gPTVgZ5.jpg]
[Image: WZjCPsV.jpg]
[Image: MqBOLdV.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2016, 07:43 PM by brunoalysson.)
07-30-2016, 06:10 AM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19
RE: My showcase

It looks good for a base. I understand that you just practice, though I'd suggest practicing Level Design as well.

By Level Design, I of course don't mean the looks of a level (mostly), but rather the design intension and flow of the overall gameplay mechanics.

Having a clear focus of what is and what is not important and developing your own design language is as important as the details of your map. At least I do think so.

In its current state, it looks like a simple Dungeon level with the focus being solely on the key. (which is too Amnesia Custom story, if you know what I mean), I would practice telling a story with your environment.

Other than that, I like your intention and reasoning. Some people just put stuff together without a clear focus. Keep it up and keep us updated. Wink
07-30-2016, 06:19 AM
Find
brunoalysson Offline

This level was made just to me get used with the editor, what each button does, how each category works(Lights, Decals, Sounds, Entities) etc...
In the next two levels i'm going to practice scripting such events, cutscenes, Triggers, notes and gameplay.

I really appreciate your feedback, thanks.
07-30-2016, 06:38 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

As a starting point, I think this is great. Much better than what most can do as their first-time through the editors. Obviously we don't know much about your project here, but it at least looks like you have the determination and know-how to create levels properly, which I welcome greatly!

I recommend for the best results, to create a story and some ideas, think of gameplay mechanics and draw some maps of your levels before you construct them. It's quicker to doodle than to build, so it might help you tweak it so that the "flow" as mentioned is just right. Once you have your level design, make it beautiful like you've done here!

Once again, good luck!

Oh, and if you're looking for constructive criticism for your screenshots, we have a thread for that.
https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/th...e-311.html

(This post was last modified: 07-30-2016, 11:22 AM by Mudbill.)
07-30-2016, 11:16 AM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

It looks great as for your first level, man! Here are some tips I have:

Firstly, on the first two screenshots I can see that you used the torches. I think it's kinda odd to have them placed so highly, I'd suggest lowering them down a bit. I think the 1.75 height should be sufficient.

Second thing I want to mention is to toy around with particle systems and bilboards. With particles you're able to add dust and other stuff flying around, which would greatly improve the general look of your levels.

Lastly, be careful not to overuse decals; they take an irrational amount of space and can really boost your map's size. Also, HPL2 seems to sometimes have problems with rendering the decals, so once you've placed a decal and decided to move it, make sure to remove it and use the decal tool to place it again, as moving the decals might lead to the level editor's crash.
07-30-2016, 01:04 PM
Find
brunoalysson Offline

Oh thanks, so far i'm loving the community, it really gives me a "boost" for create this mod.

i need to proper set the concept and history before announcing my mod, soon everyone will see it, i'm considering making a small custom history for learning purposes.

I made the changes based on Slanderous feedback.
07-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(07-30-2016, 03:13 PM)brunoalysson Wrote: Oh thanks, so far i'm loving the community, it really gives me a "boost" for create this mod.

i need to proper set the concept and history before announcing my mod, soon everyone will see it, i'm considering making a small custom history for learning purposes.

I made the changes based on Slanderous feedback.

Great! Make sure to put your mod on ModDB once it's announced.
07-30-2016, 03:34 PM
Find
brunoalysson Offline

Update #2
More screenshots, right now i'm doing some scripting, videos soon.

Mansion :
Spoiler below!

[Image: tOJ0ubX.png]
[Image: PQAr3hr.png]

PS : Image limit per post kinda sucks lol
08-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

too Amnesia *grabs popcorn

08-04-2016, 02:16 AM
Find
brunoalysson Offline

(08-04-2016, 02:16 AM)Daemian Wrote: too Amnesia *grabs popcorn

Yeah, is just to learn how to use the tools, i'm learning alot of things everyday on the wiki and in the forums.
Also i'm just sharing my whole experience here as some sort of development diary.
I have a much bigger project, but i'm not going to do it without experience
There is alot of things that i already had to cut because HPL Engine is quite limited.
08-04-2016, 04:45 AM
Find