Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Get Penumbra Collection for close to nothing!
martinstatic Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Get Penumbra Collection for close to nothing!

aw the price has gone up Sad
which i am not complaining about, they deserve the money, but now i cant get it

10-27-2010, 01:03 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Yesterday, I recommend my friend to buy it for so cheap.
He checked it and it was for 1€. He said that he will, but after some time...
Then I said that if he waits, it probably goes up by then (as a half / complete joke).

Then he was after 10 minutes that: "OK then, now I will buy it".
Then he said that maybe not, price had gone up to 15€ already. Tongue

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2010, 07:59 AM by Yuhaney.)
10-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Website Find
KaOss Offline

Moin,

As I have no experience with download versions (I always buy the boxed ones) I have some naive questions:
I assume that I cannot make a backup of the downloaded version, correct?
When I want to re-install, I will need to download again?

Regards
KaOss
10-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

(10-27-2010, 07:59 AM)KaOss Wrote: I assume that I cannot make a backup of the downloaded version, correct?
When I want to re-install, I will need to download again?

Who says you can't?
As I see it, there's absolutely no problem making backup of your own copy of the game (I do the same with downloaded games).

Unless you start to share those backups with your friends, there's no problem.

10-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Website Find
KaOss Offline

(10-27-2010, 08:01 AM)Scraper Wrote: Who says you can't?
As I see it, there's absolutely no problem making backup of your own copy of the game (I do the same with downloaded games).

Moin Scraper,

Thanks for your prompt reply. So, nobody "said" this, it has been my understanding that there is some kind of linkage between the download and your computer... some kind of watermark in the download to prevent - as you mentioned - sharing the software.
No need to mention that I was not thinking of sharing, but I was wondering what I would need to do when I buy my new computer. And I did not like the idea of loosing the game if the service is shut down for whatever reason (this is not only for Amnesia but for download versions in general).

Regards
KaOss
10-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

(10-27-2010, 08:16 AM)KaOss Wrote:
(10-27-2010, 08:01 AM)Scraper Wrote: Who says you can't?

So, nobody "said" this, it has been my understanding that there is some kind of linkage between the download and your computer... some kind of watermark in the download to prevent - as you mentioned - sharing the software.
No need to mention that I was not thinking of sharing, but I was wondering what I would need to do when I buy my new computer. And I did not like the idea of loosing the game if the service is shut down for whatever reason (this is not only for Amnesia but for download versions in general).

So, did I understand correctly now:
You are afraid of that if you change your PC, the same installer won't work on the new system and you possibly need to buy new game?

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2010, 08:25 AM by Yuhaney.)
10-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Website Find
KaOss Offline

Quote:So, did I understand correctly now:
You are afraid of that if you change your PC, the same installer won't work on the new system and you possibly need to buy new game?

Pretty close. In case one (new computer) I thought that I would need to download (but not buy) again. Due to my bandwidth (3k) this would only be annoying.
In case two (shutdown of service), yes, I thought that I would loose my copy.

But thanks to you I'm now wiser Wink

Regards
KaOss
10-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Find
bajatar Offline

(10-27-2010, 08:16 AM)KaOss Wrote: I was wondering what I would need to do when I buy my new computer. And I did not like the idea of loosing the game if the service is shut down for whatever reason (this is not only for Amnesia but for download versions in general).

There are different services that handle things differently. From my experience:

Services like Gamersgate, Direct2Drive, GoG and games sold directly by developers (e.g. FrictionalGames), simply let you download a regular installer - which would otherwise be on a CD - and you use this to install the game. Those installers are run-of-the-mill, not bound to your computer and can be backed up trivially (burn them on a CD/DVD or put them on a backup harddrive). There's nothing that binds you to these services so for all you care, they can go bankrupt the next day (not that I'd wish it to any of them).

Other services like Impulse and Steam have clients that handle installation. Backup can be a bit more complex. Steam is completely locked down and you are at their mercy (if they'll be gone, your games will be gone). Impulse is more open, in that you can usually simply zip the installed game and make a backup.

Unfortunately it's up to the publisher whether they want to add an online-activation DRM system on top of that (which makes you dependent on them to be able to install the game and usually cause the installation - not the installer - to be bound to your system). Those DRMs are in retail bought games too, so it's not a download-only issue.
10-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Find
KaOss Offline

bajatar

Thanks for your comprehensive comment! This answered the last questions I had.

KaOss
10-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Find
padawan Offline

Hm, I just tried to buy via this mobile store, but after entering my mobile number, it said: "only available to zong+, have your creditcard coupled to your mobile telephone". That would certainly defeat the purpose of having this mobile payment system, wouldn't it?
I saw the store already yesterday, then I could enter my phonenumber and got the SMS as well. When I replied to the SMS there was an error "try again later". Maybe the zong system doesn't work for the "regular" price of the game?
11-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Find