Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Scariest Crap In You Pants Moments
Nospheratu Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Scariest Crap In You Pants Moments

I'm just in the middle of finishing the game for the 2. time, this time with the commentary - thanks for making it guys, it explains the process behind the making of the game very well Smile

I've had quite a few "crap in my pants" moments the first time around, like the water monster/chase, the storage, the prison etc. but what i wanted to say was this: I thought that finishing it once and then re-doing it would be easier the second time, but oh boy i was wrong Tongue
The thing is that even thou i know when the monsters will appear, they don't behave the same way twice! So if I ran left and now i run right, the damned things will end up somewhere completly different and then this will trigger other monsters to appear in slightly different ways too... so basicly I am shitting my pants all over again; thanks, frictional Wink

Better to reign in hell than to be a servant in heaven.
11-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Find
Shanksworthy Offline

Threads: 0

(10-31-2010, 02:27 AM)Perfectionist Wrote: Also did like the water monster idea, hopping boxes and then hearing it charge once in water.

All the times i was being chased though it happened, the music got intense and the footsteps sounded closer, quickly pulling / pushing doors spinning around and trying to close them in time. Great feeling being powerless.

The water monster sequence almost made my heart explode, especially when the game basically told you to RUN and you had to try to close a series of doors behind you faster than the creature could smash through them. I literally broke out in feverish chills, and was so shellshocked that I spent the rest of the game praying it would never happen again.

Then at one part later on in the game -- I'm not sure whether this was some sort of glitch in the game or whether it was by design, or maybe even just my imagination -- but I was wading through water again and saw what looked like the invisible water monster splashing toward me. I freaked out for a sec, but then nothing happened; it just stopped, and I was able to carry on without it following me. Weird.
One other thing that really freaked me out was a scripted event where I was in a bedroom looking for something, and suddenly some text like "Something's coming. Hide!" was displayed. So I jumped in the closet and closed the door behind me. While cowering helplessly and listening for the creature to leave, it occured to me that there's a huge difference between watching a movie sequence where the protagonist is hiding in the closet from a killer, and actually *playing* that protagonist.

I'm a seasoned horror movie buff, but after playing Amnesia I don't think even the scariest movies will have any affect on me anymore. Thanks for ruining horror for me, Frictional! Tongue
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2010, 08:10 PM by Shanksworthy.)
11-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Find
mop Offline

One event comes to mind: when I opened a drawer and there were skulls in it and one of them fell out. Kinda weird that this is the moment I remember the most cause it's so cliche, but it actually scared the shit out of me, but it was unexpected and there came a scary sound when I had opened it.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2010, 08:57 PM by mop.)
11-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Find
Joseph Curwen Offline

Threads: 8

I just was brave enough to enter the choir. I went right, over the first bridge and then left towards the brighter part. Screen shakes. Growling sounds. Me thinking "Oh, where is Mr. creepy? Let's hide behind a pillar". Half a minute later: "No Mr. creepy here, let's go on". I looked behind me and there is a figure approaching from behind. That made me spinning around at light speed... "I can't see you so you can't see me". And... it worked. Stupid monster passed and did not kill me.
11-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Find
Culinus Offline

(11-09-2010, 08:56 PM)mop Wrote: One event comes to mind: when I opened a drawer and there were skulls in it and one of them fell out. Kinda weird that this is the moment I remember the most cause it's so cliche, but it actually scared the shit out of me, but it was unexpected and there came a scary sound when I had opened it.
This. I do pretty well with horror movies / games and truth be told I wasn't very scared for the most part of this game even though I was playing late at night with lights off, headphones on and everything. And I can kind of twitch when I see these things usually, but can't say it scares me a whole lot. This however was probably the thing that just made my heart race the most in the entire game. I have no idea why. And I'm the kind of man that does not think corpses / skeletons / skulls are scary at all.

I also found the painting at the top of the stairs in one of the torture room maps (map name: 23_torture_transept.map) to be quite unsettling. Making my way to the "sawing" room there was also something memorable.
11-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Find
Wolveria Offline

(10-30-2010, 07:53 AM)Mr. X Wrote: My biggest Shit-in-pants moment was when i threw that rock to distract a Brute in the sewer so i could pass into the room with the ladder. And as i approached the door i heard a sound and the screen became a bit blurry, i thought ''Oh god its behind that door. RUN BACK!'', as i turned around and started running he was right there and bitch slapped me with his big cleaver. I almost fell out of my chair and hit my head LOL. Thanks for an amazing game Frictional! Big Grin

Yeah, this was the worst for me...

I thought I was supposed to throw the rock at him and make him chase me a little, so I could go around in the sewers. So I would throw the rock, then run, peek around the other corner, throw another rock so I could get his attention, and so on back and forth.

Well, I threw the rock one time, went around, picked up another rock, and edged around the corner to see where he was. I couldn't understand why I couldn't see, and this big thing was blocking my way. Then I saw a flash of teeth, dropped my rock, turned around and ran like hell.

I ran all the way around to the door, the brute did hit me once but I lived through it somehow. XD I was whimpering and going "Oh god oh god oh god I'm so dead I'm so dead I'm not looking" but I escaped somehow. Oh it was terrifying x.x I'm playing the game a second time around for the commentary... don't know how I'll do that part again...
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2010, 11:11 PM by Wolveria.)
11-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Find
Padster Offline

The scariest moment for me was in the part where you are hunting down the drill bits. In one of the rooms off the central area there is a door with a grunt standing right behind it. I opened the door, saw the monster, jumped out of my chair, then ran and hid. I stopped playing for about half a hour to allow my heart rate to return to normal.
12-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Find
Aphotic Offline

Threads: 3

In this order:

1) Looking for the key in the guest room when all of a sudden something comes crashing in.

2) Getting killed by an invisible water monster (first time through I had no idea what was going on, so I just stood there while the splashes approached me, then I died Big Grin).

3) In the storage while getting the rods for the elevator. Was snooping around, open the door, and there was a grunt right there. High-tailed it and hid in the next room over for like 10 minutes. Went into the next room with the rods, and then all of a sudden the grunt was moving around.
12-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Find
sagdashin Offline

Threads: 2

at the point where you get ambushed by those 3 grunts in the chancel. It was at a point where I was in lala-land and thinking "meh, been here before, nothing special" and suddenly, OH MY GOD, those.. things suddenly rush me down. I thought for sure I was dead..
12-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Find
Tenacious Offline

Threads: 6

Agrippa really shocked me at first. I thought he was a brute when I first saw him.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2010, 02:57 AM by Tenacious.)
12-08-2010, 02:57 AM
Find