Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra: VR Mod
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Penumbra: VR Mod

(08-13-2016, 01:13 PM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: Eh it doesn't to me, the default 2d hand that's usually there just looks better than a full disembodied floating 3d hand.

Yeah but think of how the game plays. Since this is VR, imagine picking something up but you not being able to see where your hand currently is. That would be awkward as hell.

Aestethics aside, I think it's important for the feel of it.

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2016, 04:19 PM by Mudbill.)
08-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

(08-13-2016, 04:18 PM)Mudbill Wrote:
(08-13-2016, 01:13 PM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: Eh it doesn't to me, the default 2d hand that's usually there just looks better than a full disembodied floating 3d hand.

Yeah but think of how the game plays. Since this is VR, imagine picking something up but you not being able to see where your hand currently is. That would be awkward as hell.

Aestethics aside, I think it's important for the feel of it.
Oh it's for to show when your actual hand is, my mistake but honestly, I prefer the normal 2d hand from the original game.
08-13-2016, 06:33 PM
Find
Koopa Rs07 Offline

Threads: 30

This looks very promising! If this gets released as an actual Penumbra mod I'll have to get myself a VR headset! Penumbra has always been my favorite horror game to date.

08-30-2016, 09:20 PM
Find
Downsider002 Offline

Threads: 2

Here's 15 minutes of gameplay:

Clip of me fighting a dog for those of you who just want to see something quick and cool:
https://vid.me/6BsP

Coming very soon Smile
10-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

This looks really good. I'm very impressed.
Though I must note what you're probably thinking already. The movement is a bit immersion-killing. Is there no way of adding proper movement rather than burst teleports? I don't have a Vive, but are there no joysticks?
Or were there certain huge issue with doing normal movement that made you use this approach instead?

There's also some constant stuttering on the sound. Is that caused by this or something else?

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2016, 01:15 PM by Mudbill.)
10-09-2016, 01:10 PM
Find
Downsider002 Offline

(10-09-2016, 01:10 PM)Mudbill Wrote: This looks really good. I'm very impressed.
Though I must note what you're probably thinking already. The movement is a bit immersion-killing. Is there no way of adding proper movement rather than burst teleports? I don't have a Vive, but are there no joysticks?
Or were there certain huge issue with doing normal movement that made you use this approach instead?

There's also some constant stuttering on the sound. Is that caused by this or something else?

The Vive controllers do have trackpads that people like to use for movement, but it's known to make certain people motion sick. There is an option to toggle your desired movement type in the options menu. I personally prefer teleport.

About the stuttering on the sound- pretty sure I messed something up when porting parts of fmod over to HPL1. HPL1 hardly compiles out of the box on my setup, so a few changes needed to be made, most noticeably to fmod. The crackling is pretty annoying imo, it has to be fixed. Wouldn't be surprised if a first-time user thought it was part of the soundtrack though lmao.
10-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Alrighty, good to hear =)

Overall this looks fantastic, so good luck with the release! This is the perfect kind of game for VR (in my opinion), so it's great to see how it turns out. The Newton physics engine really adds a lot of immersion as well. I hope more VR games are made in a similar exploration style as Penumbra.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2016, 08:26 PM by Mudbill.)
10-09-2016, 08:24 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Looks awesome thus far!

I'm not a fan of the teleporting either, but nice to hear there are options. I don't know what to think of the 3D hand but I guess it works better in VR (?). Does this have an option to choose between the original and new one (video shows both at the same time)?

One thing I feel needs work is the inventory. Right now it feels undone, it's just a transparent box floating in air. Maybe add a grey 360 filter to simulate the effect like it is in the regular version or alternatively add more graphics to make it less obvious (fade it out, for example)?
Another thing that I feel could use perfection is the information text. I like the text going from bottom to top when you pick up an object, but with the information text (are usually a lot longer and sometimes momentarily) I feel like it might work better if it stayed in front of your eyes the whole time (= feels like protagonist's thought). Right now there are two kinds: 1) Stationary. Can be activated if needed but doesn't feel like a thought. 2) Momentarily. Cannot be activated again. This can also be missed if you happen to turn your head at the wrong time. Putting them both in the lower left corner as it is in the normal game might work well. Notebook is good as it is, since it feels like an object.

Either way, it's probably an awesome experience even as it is. I'd sure love to try it whenever I get a VR device.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2016, 09:46 PM by Yuhaney.)
10-09-2016, 09:36 PM
Website Find
Downsider002 Offline

(10-09-2016, 09:36 PM)IIPEE Wrote: Looks awesome thus far!

I'm not a fan of the teleporting either, but nice to hear there are options. I don't know what to think of the 3D hand but I guess it works better in VR (?). Does this have an option to choose between the original and new one (video shows both at the same time)?

Thank you! I love hearing stuff like that.

Seeing a 2D sprite of a hand isn't so great for knowing where your hands are. You really need a 3D model of a hand. The sprite is just there to notify that you can interact with something. I think it might be better to make the hand tint green or glow or something.

Quote:One thing I feel needs work is the inventory. Right now it feels undone, it's just a transparent box floating in air. Maybe add a grey 360 filter to simulate the effect like it is in the regular version or alternatively add more graphics to make it less obvious (fade it out, for example)?

Yeah I agree. Not completely sure how to remedy this one yet. I wish it felt more like reaching into boxes rather than using a UI with a pointer, but doing that would require a lot of effort and assets to be remade.

Quote:Another thing that I feel could use perfection is the information text. I like the text going from bottom to top when you pick up an object, but with the information text (are usually a lot longer and sometimes momentarily) I feel like it might work better if it stayed in front of your eyes the whole time (= feels like protagonist's thought). Right now there are two kinds: 1) Stationary. Can be activated if needed but doesn't feel like a thought. 2) Momentarily. Cannot be activated again. This can also be missed if you happen to turn your head at the wrong time. Putting them both in the lower left corner as it is in the normal game might work well.

Yeah this is tricky, I don't like sticking things to the player's face, it feels weird. Combined with the low-resolution screen of the Vive, moving your head around to read text more easily is sort of a must-have.

The momentary messages where the player doesn't lose control are kind of an issue because of the above reasons. I've been thinking about attaching the message to the player's left hand, then vibrating the remote to notify them that a message has come up, but I'm really not sure.

During "look" sequences, where the game takes control of your head, the text is placed in front of where the player should be look, controls are disabled, and the controllers both vibrate and the hands are hidden.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2016, 11:03 PM by Downsider002.)
10-10-2016, 11:01 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(10-10-2016, 11:01 PM)Downsider002 Wrote: I don't like sticking things to the player's face, it feels weird.

Does it feel like a floating box of 3D text? It kinda looks like that judging from the video. Maybe there are some other ways to make the protagonist's thoughts and pick up information more distinct? The problem for me mostly is that they are too similar and that some important information might be missed, due to the ability to move the head at wrong moment.

10-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Website Find