Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copying AMFP files into CS folder, .msh + .anm?
serbusfish Offline

Threads: 75
Copying AMFP files into CS folder, .msh + .anm?

I am including AMFP files in my Custom Story, however in the original guide on this forum which instructs how to copy AMFP files to your TDD directory it says to delete .msh and .anm files before copying over. Do I need to do the same with my custom story folder? Or do these files need to be included here?

08-15-2016, 02:11 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: Copying AMFP files into CS folder, .msh + .anm?

Yes. Those files are regenerated automatically.

08-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Find
serbusfish Offline

(08-15-2016, 02:57 PM)Daemian Wrote: Yes. Those files are regenerated automatically.

Awesome thank you Smile

Also rather than make another thread can someone explain how the save system in Amnesia works and what is the best way to implement saves?

At the moment I have AutoSave(); in the OnEnter section of every map and a checkpoint in the OnStart, and every now and again I have a scriptarea collide point which adds a checkpoint + autosave. Yet I am confused how if I click save and exit then reload it starts me back exactly where I left off even though there was no checkpoint or playerstartarea?

08-16-2016, 08:15 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

CheckPoints are for death respawns. AutoSaves are for saves that aren't manually done. The Save and Exit feature is a manual save, so basically it runs AutoSave when you hit Save and Exit. If you just hit Exit, then Continue, you will start at the last AutoSave from the script.

08-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

I don't reccomend having AutoSaves on Start/Enter; I've used them that way, and it led my custom story to malfunctioning. It's best to have them kept in your scripts, i.e: the player solves a puzzle, place an Autosave below all the script functions related to the puzzle.

Also, if you want the game to display names of the saved levels once you click "Load Game" in your custom story title screen, you have to put this onto your void OnStart:

PHP Code: (Select All)
void SetMapDisplayNameEntry(stringasNameEntry);
Sets the map name shown in save file names. If none is set NULL is assumed.
asNameEntry the entry to displaycategory must be “Levels”
08-17-2016, 06:00 PM
Find
serbusfish Offline

I never realised the game created an autosave when you clicked save and exit, I always assumed it simply saved it at the last checkpoint you made... very foolish of me Big Grin

I figured the first time a map is loaded a checkpoint should be made, so a check goes in onstart, and each time the player enters a map the game should be saved, hence the autosave in onenter. What problems does putting autosave and checkpoints in onstart/enter cause?

08-18-2016, 12:56 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Perhaps you need to make sure it runs at the end of OnStart in case of callbacks not carrying over to the loaded AutoSave. Not sure. I haven't used them much in those scenarios.

08-18-2016, 09:25 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(08-18-2016, 12:56 AM)serbusfish Wrote: I figured the first time a map is loaded a checkpoint should be made, so a check goes in onstart, and each time the player enters a map the game should be saved, hence the autosave in onenter. What problems does putting autosave and checkpoints in onstart/enter cause?

You're better to do just the one Autosave in OnEnter();. OnEnter is called every time you enter the map, whereas OnStart(); is when you first enter the map. On your first enter of the map, you'd be creating two saves.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
08-18-2016, 10:04 AM
Find