Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom stories not showing up
serbusfish Offline

Threads: 75
Custom stories not showing up

Can anyone explain why Amnesia might not display installed custom stories? Someone is trying to play one of my stories but it wont appear in game.

He has shown me screenshots and the story is installed correctly, but to begin with he had the directory like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Amnesia - The Dark Descent\redist\Custom stories

I noticed his CS folder wasn't named 'custom_stories' so he renamed it but this still didn't work.

Does anyone have any possible solutions?

09-13-2016, 05:27 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Custom stories not showing up

Is his custom_stories folder in the resources.cfg?

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
09-14-2016, 01:16 AM
Find
serbusfish Offline

(09-14-2016, 01:16 AM)Romulator Wrote: Is his custom_stories folder in the resources.cfg?

I dont know, but looking at my own resources.cfg I dont have it and my CS all display fine.

He says he hasnt installed any CS for a while, all the old ones he has work, but he tried installed both of my CS's and neither appear in game.

What is confusing me is that he has the game on Steam, but all the installation files are in the redist folder like they would be with the non steam version Huh

I advised he backup his CS folder then delete the game and let Steam reinstall it, im not really sure what else he can try at the moment, he already tried verifying his game cache.

09-14-2016, 07:38 AM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19

There are quite a number of reasons why a Custom Story might not appear.

* The most common are issues with the custom story, like wrong initial map name or syntax error in extra_english.lang.
Though I doubt it, if everyone else can see it.

* The general fix in this case is changing a Profile in Amnesia. It causes to refesh the list and helps from time to time.

* Making sure to paste the mod before starting Amnesia is also a usual one, since it scans the directory on Runtime.

* Checking if
custom_stories/theModThatIsNotWorking
directly contains the extra_english.lang, because some people just unzip the file into custom stories resulting in:

custom_stories/theMod/theMod/extra_english.lang

which Amnesia won't find.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2016, 10:42 AM by Spelos.)
09-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(09-14-2016, 07:38 AM)serbusfish Wrote:
(09-14-2016, 01:16 AM)Romulator Wrote: Is his custom_stories folder in the resources.cfg?

I dont know, but looking at my own resources.cfg I dont have it and my CS all display fine.

He says he hasnt installed any CS for a while, all the old ones he has work, but he tried installed both of my CS's and neither appear in game.

What is confusing me is that he has the game on Steam, but all the installation files are in the redist folder like they would be with the non steam version Huh

I advised he backup his CS folder then delete the game and let Steam reinstall it, im not really sure what else he can try at the moment, he already tried verifying his game cache.

Well, if he has it on Steam, it should be placed in C:/Program Files(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia - The Dark Descent/custom_stories/

Otherwise, yes, it should go in the redist folder.

It's also a really good idea to include the custom_stories folder in your resources if there are any custom assets. If not in your CS, it will help for others!

Is he able to provide the hpl.log file? If there's a conflict about why it won't appear, that's where it'll pop up. If the custom_story_settings.cfg is missing, then that'll be the main reason why, unless it's just been installed/copied over incorrectly.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2016, 05:49 PM by Romulator.)
09-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Find
serbusfish Offline

(09-14-2016, 11:09 AM)Romulator Wrote:
(09-14-2016, 07:38 AM)serbusfish Wrote:

Well, if he has it on Steam, it should be placed in C:/Program Files(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia - The Dark Descent/custom_stories/

Otherwise, yes, it should go in the redist folder.

It's also a really good idea to include the custom_stories folder in your resources if there are any custom assets. If not in your CS, it will help for others!

Is he able to provide the hpl.log file? If there's a conflict about why it won't appear, that's where it'll pop up. If the custom_story_settings.cfg is missing, then that'll be the main reason why, unless it's just been installed/copied over incorrectly.

It turns out he was placing it in the wrong place, he actual does have the steam version installed in a different location, he put the story there and it now appears, although he cant play it because it crashes when loading maps (I believe his hardware is the culprit here though).

09-20-2016, 11:40 PM
Find
tigerlillymaya13 Offline

Threads: 8

I did need help! I cannot get my custom story to show up in main game? Help!
09-23-2017, 04:40 PM
Find