Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Any tips on Free ways to protect your Website??
laniana Offline

Threads: 2
Big Grin  Any tips on Free ways to protect your Website??

Hi guys, well my brother and i are thinking of opening an online shop and would love to get tips and opinions on how we could secure our website without running bankrupt. Please feel free in pointing out what you think might be useful for us. I would very much appreciate it!Blush
01-31-2017, 03:39 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Any tips on Free ways to protect your Website??

I don't think this is the right forum to sign up for if this is the information you're looking for...

01-31-2017, 05:58 PM
Find
laniana Offline

Sorry, it was basically just a general question. Hope i did not offend anyone and i thought this section was off topic? or did i miss a thing?
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2017, 10:58 AM by laniana.)
02-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Sure, it's off-topic, but this forum, in general, is for fans of the games from Frictional Games.
So the chances of a member having experience with opening an online shop is pretty slim, since the forum is not about business at all.

I think, if you need help with your problem I would look into a forum that knows more about this. Perhaps Reddit has a good subreddit for this.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2017, 11:12 AM by FlawlessHappiness.)
02-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

There's nothing wrong with asking, but I see that you only have 6 posts so far, so I got the impression that you signed up for a user simply to ask this question. Since the question has nothing to do with what this forum is, you may not get many (if any) answers of which you're looking for. That's why I recommend asking someone who may know more about this.

If I were to try to answer your question, I'd probably say:

Mudbill Wrote:How valuable is the data that you're storing for you not to be able to put money into securing it? Security is very important, especially with confidential customer data like names, addresses and credit cards, so skimping on that may hurt you in the end. But if you need something free, although I have no examples, perhaps Google have published anything. Any small company I'm not sure I'd trust if they were free. Remember: If something's free, YOU are the product.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2017, 11:48 AM by Mudbill.)
02-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Find
laniana Offline

(02-06-2017, 11:47 AM)Mudbill Wrote: There's nothing wrong with asking, but I see that you only have 6 posts so far, so I got the impression that you signed up for a user simply to ask this question. Since the question has nothing to do with what this forum is, you may not get many (if any) answers of which you're looking for. That's why I recommend asking someone who may know more about this.

If I were to try to answer your question, I'd probably say:

Mudbill Wrote:How valuable is the data that you're storing for you not to be able to put money into securing it? Security is very important, especially with confidential customer data like names, addresses and credit cards, so skimping on that may hurt you in the end. But if you need something free, although I have no examples, perhaps Google have published anything. Any small company I'm not sure I'd trust if they were free. Remember: If something's free, YOU are the product.
Thanks for replying Mudbill. We have been on the internet searching for tips. What i found was InitiativeS, virustotal,WordPress Security Scan and Nikto website scanner were some of the few ways to do this. But of course personal recommendations are much more better than online reviews, because then you actually know that something actually functions. The credit card point you raised is very important. Thank you Smile
02-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Online reviews are fine as long as you base your conclusion on multiple ones from different sources. Never assume just 1 review is correct, but compare across many reviews (around 4-5 or more). That way you can see if the issues listed in one transfers to another, or if the issue was purely for that person. It also tells you if the pros are actually good or just promoted in a paid review.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2017, 11:48 AM by Mudbill.)
02-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Find