Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
messed up .snt sounds! please help ...
XeOnTricks Offline

Threads: 12
messed up .snt sounds! please help ...

as i was trying to play a .snt from the amnesia sound folder it randomly decided to change ALL of the .snt sounds from .snt to just for example what used to be 15_acid.snt is now 15_acid and its running through windows media player and idk how to change all of them back to .snt and now im screwed because i can't use the sounds and now my custom story wont have the sound because there not .snt anymore. any idea on how to fix the problem? Sad
02-24-2017, 06:15 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: messed up .snt sounds! please help ...

.snt files aren't played through Windows Media Player, you open them with a Text Editor, like Notepad++. The .ogg files are what you should be playing through an external player, such as Windows Media Player (if Windows Media Player supports .ogg files). If not, then something like VideoLan or VLC player will play them for you.

If you can't see the ".snt" filename, then, assuming you're on a Windows, learn how to show your file extensions using the steps here: https://www.howtohaven.com/system/show-f...orer.shtml

If your files have become damaged, a Steam File Integrity Check if your game is on Steam, or a reinstall should fix it. However, the issue you've outlined just sounds like you have just made Windows Media Player open .snt files, which don't affect them in any way.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
02-24-2017, 09:20 AM
Find
XeOnTricks Offline

Threads: 12

(02-24-2017, 09:20 AM)Romulator Wrote: .snt files aren't played through Windows Media Player, you open them with a Text Editor, like Notepad++. The .ogg files are what you should be playing through an external player, such as Windows Media Player (if Windows Media Player supports .ogg files). If not, then something like VideoLan or VLC player will play them for you.

If you can't see the ".snt" filename, then, assuming you're on a Windows, learn how to show your file extensions using the steps here: https://www.howtohaven.com/system/show-f...orer.shtml

If your files have become damaged, a Steam File Integrity Check if your game is on Steam, or a reinstall should fix it. However, the issue you've outlined just sounds like you have just made Windows Media Player open .snt files, which don't affect them in any way.

when i go to the sounds folder it dosent showe the .snt extension. it shows the widows media player emblem.

(02-24-2017, 09:36 AM)XeOnTricks Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 09:20 AM)Romulator Wrote: .snt files aren't played through Windows Media Player, you open them with a Text Editor, like Notepad++. The .ogg files are what you should be playing through an external player, such as Windows Media Player (if Windows Media Player supports .ogg files). If not, then something like VideoLan or VLC player will play them for you.

when i go to the sounds folder it dosent showe the .snt extension. it shows the widows media player emblem.

I've just changed the file from WMP to VLC and they seem to be doing fine now but idk completely yet.

Attached Files
.png   2017-02-24.png (Size: 48.09 KB / Downloads: 128)
.png   2017-02-24 (1).png (Size: 47.79 KB / Downloads: 120)
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2017, 09:44 AM by XeOnTricks.)
02-24-2017, 09:36 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(02-24-2017, 09:36 AM)XeOnTricks Wrote: when i go to the sounds folder it dosent showe the .snt extension. it shows the widows media player emblem.

Perhaps you just chose the "Target program" for .snt files? This doesn't change anything about the file, just how you want to open it.
Right-click the file and choose "Open with", then pick "Choose another application" and when you've found the right one, remember to tick "Always use this application".

I recommend Notepad++or Geany. If you have none of those, just use Notepad.

Trying is the first step to success.
02-24-2017, 10:54 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

The issue is that you've set a default program, like Flawless says, to the .snt extension.
In addition, you also have "Known extensions hidden", which is a setting in Windows Explorer. To enable extensions (which I recommend) click on the View tab, then check the box for "File name extensions".

[Image: a5159c2c80e04b36af0f3b42871f2ec3.png]

Once that is done, to reset the default program, again, as Flawless says, right click one of them and choose "Open with > choose another app" which will give you a window where you can pick an app. If Notepad is not in the list, click "choose another app on this PC".

[Image: 1f13f72f287b442683211383165bcd61.png]

Ignore the .png extension in the image. Yours should say .snt.
If you have Notepad++, I recommend it instead.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2017, 11:49 AM by Mudbill.)
02-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Find