Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Things that would have made Amnesia scarier
LoneWolf Offline

Threads: 43
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier

How about a longer game with a new monster added in? what that would be i have no idea, mayeb a monster that tricks you with noises it makes? would be freaky in my opinion, even if it wa sonly in the game for one area/map.

Eg. it makes you think theres a man/woman trapped in a room, you find the key for it then open it, its dark in the room and theres blood everywhere, and the rooms trashed. The door then closes when your at the end of the room. There will then be the monster standing in the room near the door. I havent copied this idea form any games but i doubt that this hasnt been done before in some sort of way,
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2010, 11:24 AM by LoneWolf.)
11-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Find
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6

What about an evening with Sander Cohen.
11-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Find
SeanzBeanz Offline

Threads: 0

Possible Spolier****

I have to say the game is definitely close to perfection. However, i would have liked to have seen some more elaboration with the sanity meter and hallucinations.

For example:

* When the sanity meter reaches a higher level i would have liked to have seen some vivid hallucinations like monsters appearing and dispersing. This would make you very uneasy and you could never tell whether it was your imagination playing tricks on you, or the real thing.

* Also, some flashes on screen of some of the murders you commited. A quick on screen flash of you wielding a knife or torturing a victim. This would have gone very nicely when you later progress and discover the crimes you commited.

* In the morgue scene, i think if your sanity level was high, then maybe they should have had some of the corpses move, possibly even stand up and walk towards you. Or even just have their eyes open if you looked directly at one would have been scary enough.

* Although the torture scenes were very scary to listen to, i think it would have added to the atmosphere if you actualy experienced some of them. Not all, just some.

* Instead of the fleshy shadow just attacking you. I thought i would be cool if it actually latched on to you, some rapid mouse or button bashing to release you from it's grip as it slowly draws you in.

Those are a few ideas i have, i dont' want to go on because i feel the game has almost created the perfect balance. Maybe more frights would spoil the looming fear that something is about to happen.

All in all a beautifully created game, hats off to the dev's. I bought a copy for me and i'm buying one for my friend on payday Smile
11-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Find
davva Offline

Threads: 1

i like the ideas that SeanzBeanz made, i hope that they implement something like that in some future game =)

+1

11-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Find
flcn27 Offline

Threads: 4

@SeanzBeanz,

I like all your ideas, except for the quicktime event. I don't ever want to see a QTE in a horror game, lol :p

11-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Find
Warchief Offline

Threads: 1

>the sanity meter reaches a higher level i would have liked to have seen some vivid hallucinations like monsters appearing and dispersing.

I'm afraid that's already implemented. Just get yourself the map editor, check the levels, and you'll realize that a fair number of Gatherers are indeed hallucinations.

One thing that I would have expected to happen were corpses in the morgue, or that one corpsy dude in the cell blocks suddently moving. I admittedly feared that was going to happen. Was kind of surprised when it didn't. But seriously, ATDD is scary enough the way it is. Edgar behind every corner h(a)unting you, and quite a mindfucking plot. Can hardly be improved.
11-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Find
Natural Offline

Threads: 2

- A greater element of monster randomness so people can't spoil it for themselves with walkthroughs or let's plays.

- You enter a room with a monster in restraints and are forced to pick up an item right next to it. The room suddenly caves in and you must clear debris from the door just as the monster is working to free itself.

- Like beanz mentioned, they could have punished us a little more with some intense side effects and hallucinations from sanity loss.

- A very long corridor with a monster at the other end which begins running towards you. You must solve a puzzle to open a door before it reaches you.I like working under pressure Wink A temporary split screen effect with the monster's perspective could be pretty intense, though perhaps not that easy to make.

- Lights go out, flicker for a second so you can see a monster close to you, then darkness.

- Creative use of mirrors.

- Better AI. I know this one is difficult, but other than the first water monster chase, I didn't come close to dying in the game. The chase music and experience is very intense, but other than the scripted events, almost every monster is easily evaded.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2010, 02:46 AM by Natural.)
11-17-2010, 02:43 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

(11-17-2010, 02:43 AM)Natural Wrote: - You enter a room with a monster in restraints and are forced to pick up an item right next to it.

Even just this by itself is unnerving and frightening. I like it.

(11-17-2010, 02:43 AM)Natural Wrote: - A very long corridor with a monster at the other end which begins running towards you. You must solve a puzzle to open a door before it reaches you.

This relates to the first room with the water monster, which was actually better in creating discomfort, if you chose to solve it by standing in the water after throwing the meat - in that you had to inflict the chase on yourself. You could easily sit in comfort on a box, and you have to choose to endanger yourself to progress.
11-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Find
Petike Offline

Threads: 35

(11-10-2010, 03:36 PM)Urrah Wrote: Seriously though, I don't think I'd change anything. Any more scares and the player would become desensitised, any less and the player would be too comfortable.

Very good point there. Spot on.

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
11-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

Motion-control (WII , PS3move, xbox360-kinect).

?
11-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Website Find