Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Things that would have made Amnesia scarier
kailip Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier

Considering that today there is many good games on every single genre except horror, i don't think frictional should make something else. IMO they should focus on the horror.
01-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Find
tickldkfiifo Offline

Threads: 1

(01-12-2011, 04:09 PM)kailip Wrote: Considering that today there is many good games on every single genre except horror, i don't think frictional should make something else. IMO they should focus on the horror.

Personally, making another would be tiring with the same mechanics. I'm sure they would mix it up a small bit, but it would be pretty much the same thing under the new engine updates. They need to make something with the same engine that isn't horror. If they make another, of course I will buy it, but would kind of stink to wait another year or two and get just another Amnesia. I don't know about you guys, but I sure don't want to wait for a clone of what we have already been playing.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2011, 04:31 PM by tickldkfiifo.)
01-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Find
Splint Offline

I think they have a lot of depth that they can still exploit in horror games.

Spoiler below!
Think about Daniel and how he was slowly corrupted by Alexander and made to do the most awful things imaginable. He was turned into a monster and we picked up our story with him as he began to seek revenge.

Imagine a game that places you at the beginning of a similar story. One that slowly corrupts the player making you believe that you must do all sorts of horrible things in order to achieve some desired outcome. Then at the end of the game it's revealed that you never needed to do any of the awful things you did. But you were turned evil like Daniel.

Of course it'd be necessary to have the game be playable in both the good and the bad options, to truly give the player the choice. It'd be very difficult to construct such a story, but I think Frictional could do it, and it would be amazing.

01-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Find
MaybeDanishGaming Offline

Threads: 0

(11-10-2010, 09:48 AM)Unreal Wrote: Post whatever ideas you think would have made Amnesia even scarier.

In the dungeon, the player enters a cell. If the player doesn't close the door, the door will quietly close by itself. And locks. A silent monster walks up and looks in. Never makes a noise. Just stares for a moment then walks on. Then the door unlocks and slowly swings open.

Mysterious shadows of monsters and people as the player walks around quiet areas. No monster there, just the creepy shadow moving on the wall for a second.

What ;D its supper scary as it is XD check my LP on youtube and you'll see Big Grin http://www.youtube.com/user/MaybeDanishG...7draDuSOUU
01-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Find
Xss Offline

I read half of the topic and there are some people added brilliant ideas to make a scary game! Smile Since I haven't read everything, my apologies if I add something that was already said. I also don't know if those would be easy gameplay elements to implement.

I myself think that Amnesia could have been better, starting with the monsters: once you know the "trick" on how monsters work in the game, you can actually use the system to work things around and learn how to easily avoid the monsters. When I started playing Amnesia I did some stupid things for fun, like running after some of the monsters when they were appearing because of a scrip, and surviving an encounter that should have been the end for me normally! If you play the game as it is intended to be, then you're in for a ride of horror. However, if you fool around, you might actually end up having less trouble with the monsters!

First of all, I should point out what really worked: the sound effects, both the growls and the "scary/insanity" sound coupled with the effects on screen when a monster was getting closer: that easily made up for 50% of the terror that could come from the monsters. Their design was great also, rather terrifying while staying quite simple (which is hard to do, sometimes when you start designing weird and completely crazy monsters you take the risk that they won't be ultimately be scary) the first time I really saw one of them I had so say aloud "Oh boy! He's ugly!" while feeling a little chill on my spine.

From what I got, monsters will spawn at certain key moments (entering a new place, finding an object, solving an enigma), with the music changing. All you need as a player is to find a place to hide and wait for the "scary music" to go off, since that will mean the monsters will have despawned. Monsters are pretty stupid, and won't think about searching an area by opening many doors (though I can understand that in very small areas it would make it impossible to escape the monsters).
This brings two problems: first players can expect when a monster will appear. Secondly, players will know that as soon as the music will stop they won't have anything else to fear, because that would mean that the monster despawned.
In my opinion, those scary moments would have been more efficient if there was a percentage of change that monsters would not despawned. I would have also kept the "monster music" going on for more minutes, so players would doubt if the monster was still around the level or not.

Also, I don't recall facing directly a monster after opening a door, except one special time with a script (I actually slammed the door at the monster face, ran to hide, and realized the monster wasn't even trying to bash it down...), or suddenly in a corridor, etc. In other words, since it is easy to guess when monsters will appear, players have almost always the opportunity to prepare a "hidding spot" somewhere in the room before doing anything in it: by doing so I've saved myself many times in the game.
So on top of the scripted monsters, the level should randomly spawn a monster somewhere, pretty much like in the Aliens vs Predator game that came out 10 years ago for the PC: you could never stop and hide in darkness for too long, since there was a risk that a spawned alien will find you.
On top of that, it would make the levels way more stressful: I was somethings running around some levels with no worries, knowing perfectly that no monster was suddenly going to appear in the corridor in front of me.

Something else that bugged me was the fact that the monsters were pretty much harmless once you knew you would respawn at the beginning of the level, while the monsters will actually despawn sometimes! I remember, once in the sewers, I was pretty low on health and a monsters had just spawned nearby: I allowed him to kill me, I was back with almost full health. A little bit later, after being killed again, the monster mysteriously despawned: all of those little things made the game actually easier in my opinion. No full health back after being killed.

While I agree you can see in low light, I didn't like the fact that Daniel could see in fulldarkness! Big Grin Someone had an idea I really liked: a room with a flickering light and a monster in it...But the room is in total darkness, so you can't see anything but when the light is flickering. It would also make the monster scarier, since you would only see glimpses of it.

More monsters would have definitely been a big plus, all of that coupled with sanity: when you sanity is low, some of the monsters you see are fake, and will not harm you, but you would still think they are real (same visual effects, same music), and then you run into a real one but think it's an illusion...You guess the rest.

As for special scary moments on the game, hm, dunno. I think those were already mentioned: solving a puzzle in some limited time, otherwise a monster will get us. Leaving an area without being noticed by a very dangerous monster that is wandering in the area.

And personally, I would have loved to have a glimpse of something "big" and "huge" around the end of the game, a glimpse of some sort of "Great Old Ones" Big Grin I think I was a little bit disappointed by the end of the game: then tension went a bit down for me once I reached the Inner Sanctum.

Anyway, those are my two cents, hope they might be useful! Smile
01-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Find
tickldkfiifo Offline

In my opinion adding anything else would have made amnesia less scary. The point of it was to make you think that there was something around the corner when there really wasn't. Adding such noticeable upfront scares would make this game more about surprise rather than psychologically scary.

(Frictional would be better off utilizing there talents in multiple genres)
01-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Find
ving Offline

Threads: 2

ok, i got an improvement rather than something to make it scarier...

the items you actually need to pick up currently glow as if by magic... I personally find this to be a little er... crappy. I think you should be able to pick up and a store a certain weight of any objects, and the ones that you actually need shouldnt glow...

say no to glowing objects!!!!
seriously! in the cells i though i had picked up the magically enhanced hammer of thor! :p
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2011, 06:52 AM by ving.)
01-14-2011, 06:52 AM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

a mirror.

Surprised it didn't make it in Sad

01-14-2011, 06:55 AM
Find
Splint Offline

(01-14-2011, 06:55 AM)xiphirx Wrote: a mirror.

Surprised it didn't make it in Sad
SERIOUSLY!!

Fumbling around in the dark only to catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror! What a horror. That or seeing a faint light down what you think is a hallway only to realize it's you!
01-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Find
kailip Offline

(01-14-2011, 06:52 AM)ving Wrote: ok, i got an improvement rather than something to make it scarier...

the items you actually need to pick up currently glow as if by magic... I personally find this to be a little er... crappy. I think you should be able to pick up and a store a certain weight of any objects, and the ones that you actually need shouldnt glow...

say no to glowing objects!!!!
seriously! in the cells i though i had picked up the magically enhanced hammer of thor! :p

You can deactivate the glowing on the options..
edit
nawt, you can't, i was wrong. @_@
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2011, 03:20 PM by kailip.)
01-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Find