Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Things that would have made Amnesia scarier
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier

(01-19-2011, 03:14 PM)kailip Wrote: lol, a whole bunch of dumb and not-scary ideas there.

thank god only frictional decides what to put in their games... Big Grin

Shut up. We know how to make a game scarier.
In fact we are here to teach Frictional Games how to make a game; not because of we had to change our pants while playing and loved it so much.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2011, 03:37 PM by Tanshaydar.)
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Website Find
msecure Offline

Threads: 0

(11-12-2010, 07:09 PM)Shanksworthy Wrote: 2. Similar to #1, you could have a room full of statues that are covered with sheets, only one of them is not a statue. (shudder)

hey.. this remind me of DOOM 3 .. Smile
a couple of monsters were behind a glass screen. they seemed to be all dead, but one of them was still alive, "crashed" into the screen..
that was f*cking scary Big Grin
01-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Find
Guttiz Offline

Threads: 1

something I had thought was scary would be if you went into a long corridor with windows but you do not see anything out because of fog, but anyway, that you go there for a bit to start the flash and you see a monster just like when lightning cracking down (kind of an optical illusion)
when you then continue foreward, you hear something behind you, (bet you turn around and see what it is) and then began to flash quickly and you see a monster come to you only through the light of lightning, but when it gets enough close, it will disappear. I had thought it had been sick scary
01-21-2011, 01:46 AM
Find
JoshWittmann Offline

i think that when you open a door, instead of hearing the (roar?) of a monster immediately, have it wait until you think your safe inside the door, maybe 2 or 3 steps inside for the roar to happen. unless they have the lantern out. only then should the monster immediately see you.
01-21-2011, 02:04 AM
Find
Zas Offline

- Mirrors. They have a lot of potential.
- A monster standing in a foggy room so you see his figure and his standing animation but when you walk closer he slowly turn into a plain statue.
- In the study room when you have to jump behind the windows there should have been some horrible monster walking behind one of the windows (inside). It should of course disappear right after it passes the window so you'd never encounter it really.
- Falling objects like bookshelves or paintings.
- When coming back to a key room for a second time something would have been there and thrown all the tables, boxes and bookshelves etc. around. Maybe hearing him walk outside the room while working on solving the puzzle.
01-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Find
Lodestone Offline

Threads: 0

How about smarter monsters that would actually hunt you. Maybe the monsters could have a good sense of smell, so they could find you in hiding spaces?
Something scary about Overture was that

Spoiler below!
the first dog followed you into the northern part of the mine.

What disappointed me was that I was carrying all this beef jerky (which I never used) that supposedly had an aroma. Why didn't the dogs smell it, or me?
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2011, 10:16 PM by Lodestone.)
01-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

Threads: 6

(01-21-2011, 10:13 PM)Lodestone Wrote: What disappointed me was that I was carrying all this beef jerky (which I never used) that supposedly had an aroma. Why didn't the dogs smell it, or me?

They smell it whenever you throw it. I used the beef jerky to excellent effect as a means of distracting the dogs or luring them into the steam cages.
01-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Find
Xanatos Offline

Threads: 5

(01-21-2011, 10:13 PM)Lodestone Wrote: Something scary about Overture was that
Spoiler below!
the first dog followed you into the northern part of the mine.

[Image: evildawg.jpg]

If fate frowns, we all perish.
Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2011, 11:56 AM by Xanatos.)
01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Find
CrushedRaiD Offline

Threads: 10

Things that would've it scarier huh.. Nothing much Confused One thing that would have made me crap my pants - You walk on a bright hallway, few feet away from a door, lights go off, forces player to turn around, you see a monster, u pass out on the floor and then you have to crawl to the door and escape :3
01-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Find
Need4Power Offline

(01-14-2011, 05:12 PM)w3sp Wrote: What would have made Amnesia a LOT scarier would have been nasty stuff with closets.

For example I played a custom map a while ago and at one part you were in some area (styled like the prison looks in the original game) with tons of rooms and you'd hear constant zombie growling but it never appeared.
Opened all the closets, all the cupboards etc and collected what I found...no zombies there. Then I found a key which I used to open locked closets or so. And on one of them once I used the key the doors jumped open and a Zombie literally just jumped right into my face...Haven't screamed like that for years. I was streaming it and the people had fun obviously Big Grin

TL;DR
Closets are something that make you feel secure because you can open them and hide in them. If there was a zombie in one of them it'd have been a totally different feeling from that moment on Smile

LOL,i played the same custom map with my friend at about 23:00 PM,Dark Room and closed door,we put the volume on full.
we were already scared to death from the constant growling that sometime was heard like it been really close...
when we finally opened the door,the door just opened quickly and the monster jumped on us,we screamed like crazy and jumped out of the chair xD
that was one of the most scary moments in MY LIFE! XD
and even funnier...,before we opened the door,i told to my friend "I hope there isn't something scary inside this closet" XDDD

Anyway,this is a great idea to hide scary things in the closet Smile
01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Find