Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help How to make heightmaps?
TheVileMushroom Offline

Threads: 1
How to make heightmaps?

I have been messing around with height maps in the material editor for a very long time now and I just can not figure out how they work.

Whenever I try to make a heightmap, no matter what texture I use (even totally black images), this is the result: Image1 It produces this strange warped effect around the top and bottom edges of the texture.

Now if I were to copy and paste a texture (in a image editor like photoshop) and save the copied texture to a new .tga file, the same warped effect would happen. But if I just used the normal .tga file default to Amnesia, it works perfectly fine!

I just don't understand how heightmaps work and I need help on how to properly create and export them. This is a height map I tried to create from photoshop with 32 bits/pixel with Compress (RLE): Image2
02-26-2018, 06:10 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: How to make heightmaps?

I believe I use 24 bits/pixel without RLE compression.
[Image: hLvApUj.png]

IIRC Amnesia has trouble loading 32 bit TGA files.

02-26-2018, 05:10 PM
Find
TheVileMushroom Offline

(02-26-2018, 05:10 PM)Mudbill Wrote: I believe I use 24 bits/pixel without RLE compression.

This didn't change anything Sad

(02-26-2018, 05:10 PM)Mudbill Wrote: I believe I use 24 bits/pixel without RLE compression.

Also. Do you think you could help me wit the problem with the material editor crashing every time I try to change a texture. Everytime I want to change a texture I need to completely re-make it and save it under a new name or the material editor just crashes when I try to open the file where the texture is located. This problem is EXTREMELY frustrating.

I've also noticed that a lot of height maps come out at around 1024 kb file sizes. Is this important? Because my heightmaps are coming out around 3072 kb
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018, 10:42 PM by TheVileMushroom.)
02-26-2018, 10:07 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I don't know of the issue you're having with your editors, but it sounds to me you have some bigger issues, possibly with your computer's drivers being buggy or corrupt, or the installation missing some files. If you got the game on Steam, I suggest verifying your files and then redownload the editors and overwrite them. Also update drivers if possible.

As for the file size, it's probably just how your files are compressed. Shouldn't be an issue.

02-27-2018, 02:26 AM
Find
TheVileMushroom Offline

(02-27-2018, 02:26 AM)Mudbill Wrote: I don't know of the issue you're having with your editors, but it sounds to me you have some bigger issues, possibly with your computer's drivers being buggy or corrupt, or the installation missing some files. If you got the game on Steam, I suggest verifying your files and then redownload the editors and overwrite them. Also update drivers if possible.

As for the file size, it's probably just how your files are compressed. Shouldn't be an issue.

Do you think I could add you on steam so we can figure this thing out with the heightmaps not working? I've tried everything, including your suggestion to verify the game files and nothing works. You can find me here
02-27-2018, 04:02 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

It's much easier if you join the FG discord server. Then we can actually get input from other people as well + display images if needed.

Here's an invite: https://discord.gg/BjDmjS

02-28-2018, 12:52 AM
Find