Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mouse movement creating stuttering
Tom022 Offline

Threads: 1
Not Solved Mouse movement creating stuttering

Hello.

I bought this game via GOG and have talked to their support about this issue. They referred me here.

So I've had this game in my library for a while. Everytime I wanted to start playing this game I ran into this issue. I tried to fix it myself but I couldn't get it fixed, which made me lose interest. I reset and reinstall Windows often as well as reinstall drivers.

So when I get into Simon's apartment the is FPS at 144-360. When I use the movement keys, the FPS seems to be as the counter claims. But as soon as I move the aim with my mouse, it stutters which makes it seem like the FPS is more around 30-45.

However, when I use a controller there's absolutely no issue. I don't mind using a controller that much, tough I'd much rather prefer to use KB/M.

With the GOG support, I have tried the following.

Installing June 2010 DirectX, DirectX Web and reinstalling the game.
Set my anti-virus program to exclude GOG and Soma.
Disconnecting all HID devices except KB/M.
Run the game and GOG in admin mode(also tried in comp mode with W7 and W8).
In game settings, test different settings with refresh rate, resolution and V-sync.
Downloaded a Default_user_settings.cfg(that they provided) and replaced the existing one. As well as changing the <Engine LimitFPS="false" /> to true.
In the Nvidia control panel. Change the refresh rate of my monitor as well as force V-sync for the Soma.exe.
16GB(2x 8GB sticks) 2133MHz DDR4
144 Hz monitor at 2560x1440

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 12.97 KB / Downloads: 119)
03-23-2018, 05:45 PM
Find
nebej Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 8
Not Solved RE: Mouse movement creating stuttering

If it only affects KB/M then it could be an issue with your mouse drivers or the mouse refresh rate. So try installing the latest drivers.
Some mice have a setting for changing the refresh rate of the mouse. Try setting it at 1000 hz.

You could also try removing the mouse smoothing from the config file.
<Input SmoothMouse="false" ..../>
03-26-2018, 11:50 AM
Find
Tom022 Offline

I reinstalled the driver for the mouse as it already had the latest driver installed. The refresh rate was already set at 1000 hz. I also tried turning off the mouse smoothing as you said and still no change unfortunately.
03-28-2018, 06:24 AM
Find
nebej Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 8

Then im unsure what could be the cause. You could try downloading the latest SDL2.dll and see if it helps, but it might make the game unstable.
03-28-2018, 02:56 PM
Find
Tom022 Offline

Didn't work either. Yeah it's pretty frustrating. I got the game again via Humble Bundle for the Steam platform(it was included in a bundle). The issue is the same there as well. I am a bit unsure that it's really the mouse that's the cause. The game runs at around 40-60 fps but the way I can see if any game runs at 120+ is by moving the mouse quickly. Since you can't with a controller I think the game simply isn't running at the frame rate it's reporting.

I have another reason to think it's not the mouse. I also tried using my Steam controller with the issue still there. I tried different mice as well(my mouse is a Logitech G502 that uses Logitech Gaming Software) without any change. I have a lot of games in my library but I've never come across this issue that wasn't resolved easily by turning V-sync on or off, or something like that.

Thank you for any and all help! It's greatly appreciated.
03-30-2018, 07:05 AM
Find