Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Exception Access Violation
shieldsandsuch Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Exception Access Violation

Hey guys, I need a little help here...

I bought Amnesia in the Halloween sale on my friend's recommendation. I just tried to play it for the first time. However, after a screen which allows me to adjust properties, I got a message that says:

!!!GAME CRASHED!!! Read this:
Something is wroooooong!
If all else fails, go to http://www.support.frictionalgames.com/ for more info.

Exception reason:
Amnesia.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module ig4icd32.dll at 0023:04C43E22

It also has a section called stack trace with several similar codes. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this? I know my graphics card isn't on the list of supported graphics cards, but the game just says it "assumes normal graphics configuration." Also, I downloaded the game through Steam, however, I cannot download updates, because my university does not allow Steam to run. Anyone have a solution?
Oh, here's a picture of the error message.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2010, 12:51 AM by shieldsandsuch.)
11-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Exception Access Violation

I think you have an intel integrated graphics chip? If so, it is not capable of running the game you will need NVIDIA or ATI graphics.

Go to My Documents/Amnesia/ and take the hpl.log file and post it here for final verdict.
11-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Website Find
shieldsandsuch Offline

OK, here it is... I really hope that isn't the case, because I don't possess the technical know-how to change video cards on a laptop... can that even be done? I've heard that it carries substantial risk to your laptop...
11-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Yes you have an Intel chip, so unfortunately not possible to run the game. I do not think there are any laptops that are capable of getting a new graphics chip, at least it is not how it generally is.
11-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Website Find
shieldsandsuch Offline

Oh... well, that is unfortunate. I had heard that Amnesia was a really fun game, and I was looking forward to playing it. Are there any plans to release a less graphics-intensive version, or am I completely screwed?
11-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Find
Auddy07 Offline

Threads: 0

What about mine? It's an Intel HD.
02-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Intel integrated not supported. Might work later if Intel updates the drivers from them.
02-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Website Find