Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

To Devs! Kinect game next?
H3llshock Offline

Threads: 2
To Devs! Kinect game next?

I just thought a penumbra-like game would be cool if done on the kinect.
Doing all the moving things and opening doors and such by using your own hands.

im guessing we would need to hold the controller in one hand for moving the feet (walking in one place could work but im not sure it would be a good experience).

Anyway just an idea, and also maybe some kind of touch based game for iOS platform could be cool.

cheers
11-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5
RE: To Devs! Kinect game next?

I fully agree

?
11-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Website Find
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6

If the next frictional release is horror then it probably wouldn't work on kinect. It's too family/group orientated and this isn't suitable. That's why the closest you'll get to horror would be an on-the-rails type thing like house of the dead or dead space extraction.

Motion sensor systems really don't lend themselves to accuracy. Even if they appear to, its usually pseudo-code that takes simple movements and gestures and represents it as something more complex to make it seem the user is in total control. I have done a little work in motion tracking and it's not as good as everyone thinks. Really it can only track big blobs like people jumping up and down and can't manage fine details like opening a door properly.

It might work on the wii since the movement phsyics in amnesia sort of treats the mouse like a wii-mote when it comes to grasping and moving objects.
11-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Find
PvtLastClass Offline

Threads: 1

While it's true that the guesswork motion-sensors aren't very good, this controller is a good way of working with Penumbra's physics system (and quite possibly Amnesia's)
http://www.novint.com
11-26-2010, 01:13 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Novint Falcon, yes. Absolutely. Not only does it allow for you to basically reach into the world, but it allows you to feel it too.

On the other hand, Move, Wii, and Kinect are all stupid gimmicks. They do nothing to help you feel anything and it's no fun to be playing a game and then have to do a sit-up just because.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
11-26-2010, 02:39 AM
Website Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Here it is: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...l#pid43921
My whole opinion about consoles and next Fric's game. Contains a lot of borken engleash, but the point is visible. Andi it's related to teh subj: control & interactivity system.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
11-26-2010, 04:33 AM
Find
H3llshock Offline

Threads: 2

Yeah I kind of figured kinect would be too unresponsive Smile
11-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Find
-[Badger]- Offline

Threads: 3

I brought this up about a year ago with penumbra and the wii. and I came to the conclusion that Wiimote is Bluetooth, and you could just get a projector and use the wiimote as a mouse. never did try it. but you could do the same with the Kinect. There are already Camera drivers for kinect. one would just need to create a gesture system for key points, like the hand. nothing would make this game better than a kinect port.

all motion sensor gaming will fail due to lack of sensory feed back. and Soon we will have such feed back. Such feed back as an ultra sonic generator like here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-P1zZAcPuw
12-06-2010, 05:31 AM
Find
Aphotic Offline

Threads: 3

Personally, the mouse interaction seems to be the perfect medium, especially since you manually control the movement of almost everything you interact with anyway.
12-07-2010, 02:49 AM
Find