Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra Ending
Shev Offline

Threads: 25
RE: Penumbra Ending

Yeah. If they made another penumbra it would suck story wise considering how it ended, and it would suck gamewise because its forced.

The best thing they could do to save it story wise is
Spoiler below!
Make it take the place of the person phillip emailed
but even thats a bit forced.

Are you all really sure you want to turn penumbra into one of those games that gets milked so bad, that it ends up getting ruined?

i spam meme 4 raeg
01-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

I just loved the Penumbra world. I would be happy with a Farmville clone set there! ...well maybe not....but it just grabbed me. More so than any other game world
01-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Website Find
Xanatos Offline

Threads: 5

It could be possible to make another Penumbra, provided FG make a proper sequel and don't take the Bioshock or F.E.A.R. route of sequel developing. A good sequel, according to Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw, is one that uses the original game as a jumping off point for a whole new story with new characters whilst staying in the same overall game universe, while a bad sequel "merely wallows in the original like a hippo in a vat of liquid ice children". It wouldn't make sense to continue Penumbra
Spoiler below!
within the Greenland Archaic facility - Philip's story is pretty much done. But if you recall a few notes & documents from Black Plague they mention other Archaic sites around the globe where certain discoveries were made; the Greenland facility is just one of many. The Archaic organisation itself is quite interesting, maybe we could have a game that explores the origins of it and what Leonardo da Vinci has to do with it. The possibilities are endless.

If fate frowns, we all perish.
Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2011, 02:42 PM by Xanatos.)
01-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

(01-02-2011, 02:41 PM)Xanatos Wrote: It could be possible to make another Penumbra, provided FG make a proper sequel and don't take the Bioshock or F.E.A.R. route of sequel developing.

Outsource interstitial sequels purely for profit that are made explicitly noncanon by your eventual actual sequel?
01-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Find
Xanatos Offline

Threads: 5

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin was developed by a completely different development team from WB which lead to several inconsistencies with the first game. The first F.E.A.R.'s story was pretty much complete by F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point so there was no need to tack on an additional game set in the same scenario (Perseus Mandate included). I haven't played Bioshock 2 but apparently it's more of an expansion pack than anything else.

A good sequel, for example, is Thief II: The Metal Age - it stays within the overall game universe and has a fresh story instead of sticking with that whole Trickster business again. We still got to play as Garrett because he was alive, functional and quite a developed character suitable to the game's universe. Whilst Philip, being a silent protagonist, isn't one really worth keeping and his story is pretty much done. I don't see him getting out of there any time soon.

If fate frowns, we all perish.
Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2011, 08:39 AM by Xanatos.)
01-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Find