Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia killed the horror genre
Mexxi Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre

(02-11-2011, 02:17 AM)pedritti Wrote: In all truthfulness i think that amnesia is scarier the dumber you are and the worse player you are.

thank you. that's exactly my point.

(02-11-2011, 02:17 AM)pedritti Wrote: A bad player will run around with his lantern on through dark hallways and bam a monster sees him and he gets scared shitless etc etc
A good player wont run rambo through the levels and instead will keep his lantern hidden as to not be detected thus ensuring much less enemy encounters.

exactly. in fact, you neither need lantern nor tinderboxes. since they aren't used to solve a single puzzle, you can just ignore them. i never lit a candle and i only used my lantern three times to check dark spots for items, so the more minimalistic the approach is the easier it actually gets.

(02-11-2011, 02:25 AM)Tintin Wrote: I think the enemy you don't see (but only hear) is scarier than the enemy you do see - imaginative suggestion and all that.

that is very true, but that's unfortunately the part that amnesia screws up. of course you can run through the game expecting a monster behind every corner, but at some point it just becomes very clear how the game was designed. even if the game managed to make you believe that there could be danger lurking around every corner, in a second playthrough you would know that this is not the case, so the last bit of anticipation is out of the window. other games that rely on real monster ai (e.g. fallout 3, or any thief game for that matter) don't have that problem, since every playthrough is unique due to the many possibilities the AI has.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2011, 02:36 AM by Mexxi.)
02-11-2011, 02:30 AM
Find
Tintin Offline

Threads: 4

I see where you're coming from. I don't agree that the player has little need of the lantern and candles though. I used them reasonably often. You need to if you play with the gamma really low (as the game encourages you and was designed to do so). I played Amnesia with a gamma level of O.65. What gamma level were you guys playing with?
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2011, 05:01 AM by Tintin.)
02-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

Dear Mexxi and pedritti,

Don't play to win.
02-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Find
pedritti Offline

Threads: 1

(02-11-2011, 04:24 AM)SHODANFreeman Wrote: Dear Mexxi and pedritti,

Don't play to win.

Lol i didn't. I did what i would do in a real life situation. Hide and try to be smart.
People who rambo and don't close doors and use all supplies are clearly playing this more as a game than i did Smile
02-11-2011, 04:59 AM
Find
Mexxi Offline

Threads: 3

(02-11-2011, 04:24 AM)SHODANFreeman Wrote: Dear Mexxi and pedritti,

Don't play to win.

that doesn't even fit into the discussion...

(02-11-2011, 02:40 AM)Tintin Wrote: I don't agree that the player has little need of the lantern and candles though. I used them reasonably often. You need to if you play with the gamma really low (as the game encourages you and was designed to do so). I played Amnesia with a gamma level of O.65. What gamma level were you guys playing with?

the gamma level itself is incomparable among computers since it is adjusted in relation to each display's individual lighting behavior. if a single value would fit all, then the game wouldn't go through the set up helper on the first start where you can set your gamma according to the visibility of the rectangles. i used it just as the description suggested, lowering the gamma to a point where the darker rectangle was barely visible.

setting the gamma properly will allow you to detect almost all objects in the dark since the player's eyes adjust to the darkness after a while (very cool effect by the way). this of course requires you to not set the gamma too low, or else you won't be able to see the bluish "night vision" effect. in any case it's enough to get through the game without using the tinderbox.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2011, 03:21 PM by Mexxi.)
02-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Quit trolling and get back to the point or I'll need to lock this up.

02-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Website Find
house Offline

Threads: 11

I played Amnesia, Then I played F.E.A.R. 1 and crapped my pants.
02-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Find
leonnasagawa Offline

Threads: 0

I understand what you mean. Amnesia is the only game that actually scares the shit out of me right now, every other horror game I've played so far doesn't scare me. Only two games so far have managed to really scare me since I got into horror games in 2008.

Amnesia and Dead Space are those games, Dead Space I am desensitized to and Amnesia still frightens me even when playing with the light on over my head.
[/quote]

I have to agree with you in part.

In all truthfulness i think that amnesia is scarier the dumber you are and the worse player you are.

Let me explain with examples:

A good player in amnesia will always close the door of a room he enters so as to not be surprised. A bad player leaves it open . When the monster appears, the good player hears the sound and hides in a spot. He doesn't even see the enemy because the door is blocking him. A bad player will se the enemy running to them and panick while trying to close the door or won't even close the door and just run for a mile with the monster chasing.

Whom do you think had the scarier experience?

A bad player will run around with his lantern on through dark hallways and bam a monster sees him and he gets scared shitless etc etc
A good player wont run rambo through the levels and instead will keep his lantern hidden as to not be detected thus ensuring much less enemy encounters.

Again who got scared more times?

Not to mention i have seen so many walkthroughs were people because they are dumb hide in the worst places and get caught thus ensuring loud screams on their part. A good player enters a room and instinctively sees where he can hide if needed so when the monster comes he doesn't panic. He just runs to the spot he had chosen before hand.

The list goes on and on but you get my drift.
[/quote]

Lol I matched the description of the good player you just described but it's probably because I'm very careful though that this game still remains very scary for me.

If you play carelessly then most likely you will probably have a scarier experience but if your too careful then you never truly get desensitized to the game and remain scared because you don't see the monster as much.

I have to say though, the monsters are very scary and I find the atmosphere to be quite tense even some events that I know won't harm me in the game, freak me out sometimes when I'm not prepared for it.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2011, 07:33 PM by leonnasagawa.)
04-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Find
Sessika Offline

Threads: 0

(02-11-2011, 02:17 AM)pedritti Wrote: A good player in amnesia will always close the door of a room he enters so as to not be surprised. A bad player leaves it open .

Well...not always. Sometimes a perfectly good player will leave a door open or ajar because the new area looks particularly ominous and they fear they might need to beat a hasty retreat and they don't want those pesky latches and inward opening hinges slowing them down, especially if it's a first playthrough. Everyone reacts to and figures things differently.
04-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Find
jo291 Offline

Threads: 43

"In all truthfulness i think that amnesia is scarier the dumber you are and the worse player you are."

*sigh* Why cant people accept that some things are really scary to some people and not for others?

Some people are scared by certain things some aren't it has nothing to do with if a person is smart or stupid.

In fact to say something like that is very rude and immature in itself.

The horror genre is completely subjective. mexxi doesn't understand this in the slightest it seems though.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2011, 11:37 PM by jo291.)
04-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Find