Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game crashes on startup (Steam version only)
eriktorbjorn
Unregistered

Not Solved Game crashes on startup (Steam version only)
I haven't tried Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs for quite some time. I did play through it once, and it worked fine, but now when I try it the game immediately crashes. Looking at the hpl.log, it gets as far as:

Quote:Initializing Game Module
--------------------------------------------------------
 Adding engine updates
 Initializing script functions

User Initialization
Loading data from cloud storage

It says "Loading data from cloud storage" regardless of whether or not I have Steam Cloud support enabled for the game.

I can get it to start if I shut down the Steam client, remove the local Cloud files from the "userdata" directory in ~/.steam, remove the game settings from ~/.frictionalgames/Amnesia/Pig and restart Steam again. (I don't know exactly how much of this I have to do.)

But as soon as I've created a profile, the game crashes on startup again.

I thought part of my problem was that I had created a profile with the letter "ö" in the name. This used to work, but now the game no longer allows that. I have no way (that I know of) to remove that profile from the Steam Cloud, but surely disabling that should keep it from even trying?

The non-Steam version doesn't seem to have this problem for me. I'm running the "unstable" version of Debian
03-10-2019, 08:53 AM
nebej Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 8
Not Solved RE: Game crashes on startup (Steam version only)
It could be that there is some save data in the steam servers that still cause issues.
It sounds like you have already tried deleting the cloud data but you could try this guide and see if it works. (should be mostly the same on Linux)

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questio...team-cloud
03-11-2019, 10:52 AM
Find
Unregistered

Not Solved RE: Game crashes on startup (Steam version only)
(03-11-2019, 10:52 AM)nebej Wrote: It could be that there is some save data in the steam servers that still cause issues.
It sounds like you have already tried deleting the cloud data but you could try this guide and see if it works. (should be mostly the same on Linux)  

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questio...team-cloud

Thanks! That guide did the trick after some experimentation. Once the old cloud data was gone, the game started fine and still ran fine when I restarted it and used my shiny new profile.

So your advice was much more helpful than Steam support, whose primary focus seemed to be that I wasn't running a supported Linux distribution. Fair point, except I was asking how to remove data from their cloud...
03-11-2019, 06:54 PM
Jump to the post that solved this thread.