Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selling HPL game?
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
Selling HPL game?

Hi. I was absent for quite some time. I mean absent from modding in general (any modding, not only HPL). But at the right moment I have some time every evening and I am planning a little horror story. And in my mind I see the possibility to make it good enough for selling. I know I can do that with UE4, Unity and even Cryengine is fine for that (while it's hard to get their license). Did anything change with the possibility of creating something on HPL and selling it, lets say, on Steam? Years ago devs stated they are not going to allow that. Only Frictional can sell HPL games. Any changes? Cause I really love some of HPL aspects. THANK YOU in advance for clearing out my tiny question
08-04-2019, 12:32 AM
Website Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Selling HPL game?

I forget if the HPL1 engine can be licensed for commercial use, but AFAIK you are not allowed to sell anything made in it. I can at least confirm this is the case for mods for HPL2 and 3, although completely separate games coming from the HPL1 source I am not 100% sure.

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2019, 01:03 AM by Mudbill.)
08-04-2019, 01:03 AM
Find
kirakatve Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 10

Hey, dev here! It is not permitted to sell anything with the HPL engine, including mods or self-made games.

HPL1 is currently open-source, but under the condition that second-hand users also have access to the resources and anything made with the code for free.

Your friendly neighbour the community manager.
08-06-2019, 01:42 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

Oook. I'll try to stick to UE4 ...

PS. Why won't you guys, Frictional, sell license to HPL? I mean people would do everything by themselves, what would be left for you is achieving 5% of all sales (as with UE4). Why not? No problem, I'm fine. Just curious why did you decide to close options to sell HPL license?

Since SOMA version your engine is really-really good for claustrophobica corridoral type of games. Really good SDK, nice visuals, easy scripting, astonishing physics... very good if not the best for indie

If you were afraid that you'll have to polish HPL on and on, patch it on and on, if HPL would be a product on its own, then this is not the rule. You can just leave it "as it is" with no guarantees!
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2019, 05:36 PM by Alex Ros.)
08-07-2019, 05:35 PM
Website Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

(08-07-2019, 05:35 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: Oook. I'll try to stick to UE4 ...

PS. Why won't you guys, Frictional, sell license to HPL? I mean people would do everything by themselves, what would be left for you is achieving 5% of all sales (as with UE4). Why not? No problem, I'm fine. Just curious why did you decide to close options to sell HPL license?

Since SOMA version your engine is really-really good for claustrophobica corridoral type of games. Really good SDK, nice visuals, easy scripting, astonishing physics... very good if not the best for indie

If you were afraid that you'll have to polish HPL on and on, patch it on and on, if HPL would be a product on its own, then this is not the rule. You can just leave it "as it is" with no guarantees!

They actually can sell a license for HPL2 if you negotiate with them about it, but for some reason they never said that publicly. I know a guy that has the HPL2 source code.

This forum is dead
08-08-2019, 09:52 PM
Find