Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

i am creating a game similar to this.
maxdelphi Offline

Threads: 2
i am creating a game similar to this.

Hello, because I want to create a game similar to "Penumbra" I'm currently developing in "Unity 3D, but I have a question:

What is the algorithm to throw objects?.

thanks.
12-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Find
wally Offline

RE: i am creating a game similar to this.

This is a pretty difficult question to answer in a nutshell. It basically boils down to just creating and object at a certain point in 3-space, and then applying force to it. But this assumes you have a competent physics engine, which I kind of doubt you do.
12-18-2010, 04:59 AM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

(12-15-2010, 09:43 PM)maxdelphi Wrote: Hello, because I want to create a game similar to "Penumbra" I'm currently developing in "Unity 3D, but I have a question:

What is the algorithm to throw objects?.

thanks.

If you had any Physics engine in your game, you wouldn't ask this.

Protip: You need a physics engine.

12-18-2010, 05:01 AM
Find
KavazovAngel Offline

Threads: 13

Unity provides you with a build in physics engine. I guess you just need to figure out how to implement it. Smile
12-19-2010, 01:56 AM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

First off, don't steal game concepts. Second off, if you need to ask that you should not be making a game. Third, you should write your own engine.

I'm an indie game designer, and those are the staples of success! Tongue
12-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Website Find
KavazovAngel Offline

Threads: 13

(12-19-2010, 06:30 AM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: I'm an indie game designer, and those are the staples of success! Tongue

Games? Engines? Gotta see, gotta see! Big Grin

Seriously, would you be so kind to give us a link to check out your games? And any tips you can give for starters? It would be great. Smile
12-21-2010, 02:41 AM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

(12-21-2010, 02:41 AM)KavazovAngel Wrote:
(12-19-2010, 06:30 AM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: I'm an indie game designer, and those are the staples of success! Tongue

Games? Engines? Gotta see, gotta see! Big Grin

Seriously, would you be so kind to give us a link to check out your games? And any tips you can give for starters? It would be great. Smile

To be honest I would suggest finding a few people you know and trust, maybe just you and a pal, and making a game. One of you could code and the other be an artist. The two of you could work together on the story and sound. That's how I started, and to this day I only have 3 people in my team. I can't really help you past that, because I don't know if you want to be a programmer or an artist. I can say that you NEED to start small, a simple 2D game to get your feet wet.

Edit: We have yet to publish a game, we've made 2 games that were just tests to see how we could work together. We start full development in January on our hush hush super secret project that will blow the world away!
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2010, 04:00 AM by Spooder Wekd.)
12-21-2010, 03:59 AM
Website Find
matches81 Offline

Threads: 0

(12-19-2010, 06:30 AM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: First off, don't steal game concepts. Second off, if you need to ask that you should not be making a game. Third, you should write your own engine.

You may be an indie game designer, but I still think those are some pretty odd statements.
a) The OP isn't talking about stealing a whole game concept. He's talking about implementing the ability to throw items and that he wants to make a game similar to Penumbra. To be frank, most games are similar to some other games out there and if you insist that the game you're going to make has to be different from anything the world has ever seen you're probably not going to make any game at all.
b) People have to ask questions to learn things. Perhaps he should not be making a game already, or perhaps he should find programmers to help him because he's better at designing stuff than at actually implementing it, but to be honest: We don't know that. Telling him he should not be making games just because he asked a simple question is overly harsh and, IMO, entirely uncalled for, seeing we know absolutely nothing about the guy.
c) There are tons of great games out there using a third party engine instead of their own. Writing your own engine is not a staples of success, it's a risk. More often than not, people intending to write their own engine prior to making a game don't ever get to the point of making the actual game because writing the engine takes up their whole time and drains them of any enthusiasm. Luckily, for people like that, there are tons of third party engines, many of them free to use. Why discourage that?
12-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Find
maxdelphi Offline

Hello, thank you very much for your answers, because I'm learning to create games, took many months to Unity 3D, and I know more than the basics, indeed, I was able to interact with the "Mouse", the question was, what formulas mathematics used to launch objects?, plain and simple, oh another thing, I do not want to copy the game, just a personal project because I liked it "Penumbra Black Plague. "

thanks.!

and sorry for my expression, but, my primary language is Spanish.....!
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2010, 05:25 PM by maxdelphi.)
12-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

(12-21-2010, 11:33 AM)matches81 Wrote:
(12-19-2010, 06:30 AM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: First off, don't steal game concepts. Second off, if you need to ask that you should not be making a game. Third, you should write your own engine.

You may be an indie game designer, but I still think those are some pretty odd statements.
a) In the indie game scene you NEED to be original, he specifically said he wanted to make a similar game, being similar makes it impossible to get ahead in the industry.

b) I'm saying he should start smaller, If he does not know how to throw objects he has no idea of how videogame physics work be it his own or a third party engine, he should be making a smaller, more simple game to get started.

c) Actually, making an engine is very important. It forces you to understand fully how it all works together and you will not have any extra bloat. For example, there are tons of games made with the free Unreal Engine dev kit. Some are great, but the first impression I get is that they did not do much work on it, and most of the games do not need all the extra crap in unreal, which makes the games bigger (filesize), slower(performance), and overall less impressive

I'm not discouraging the guy, I am HELPING. The indie scene is a tough place and no one should go into it thinking its all rainbows and kittens.
(12-21-2010, 05:24 PM)maxdelphi Wrote: Hello, thank you very much for your answers, because I'm learning to create games, took many months to Unity 3D, and I know more than the basics, indeed, I was able to interact with the "Mouse", the question was, what formulas mathematics used to launch objects?, plain and simple, oh another thing, I do not want to copy the game, just a personal project because I liked it "Penumbra Black Plague. "

thanks.!

and sorry for my expression, but, my primary language is Spanish.....!

Well I do not know this unity 3D engine, but in general you would want to initiate a force at the exact X, Y, and Z coordinates of the camera. You would also want to consider how the player is moving. Add more force when moving forward, less when back, put a little of force to the right if the player is going right and soon. You're going to want an algorithm that uses the player's direction and speed to factor into the pulse of force used to launch the object. That is as specific as I can get without seeing the engine's code.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2010, 09:01 PM by Spooder Wekd.)
12-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Website Find