Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Amnesia be available for consoles? No!
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Should Amnesia be available for consoles?

Sure I do. Not all of them, I meant the majority...almost everyone in my country is a console gamer. Then again, I only know the ones in my country.
04-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Find
dph314 Offline

Threads: 0

I think someone mentioned this earlier, but yeah the average age of console users is probably much younger than PC gamers. I think that's why Amnesia was definately only considered for the PC. Computers are more complicated and much more expensive, thus average user is older. I know whenever I go to my local GameStop, I'm usually one of the older ones in the PS3 section. I know there's young computer users and old console users, I'm not stereotyping. I just mean that I think that's why console games are made with just a bit of horror and a lot of action, to slightly intrigue the mature gamers while still appealing to the action-hungry younger players. So I think that since the Amnesia developers definately wanted the freedom that comes along with a "Mature" rating, a console release might not be cost effective because the average younger console gamer wouldn't appreciate the effort that went into the suspense, story, environment, and atmosphere. I know if Amnesia had only been released on PS3, I definately would have gotten it and been old enough to appreciate what it is, but I'm sure with being a little older, I'd be in a minority. I know there's many of us post-adolescent PS3/360 gamers, but the console games rated "Teen" will always have higher sales. I know many of the "Mature" rated games on PS3 do well, but they usually come with that blood-and-guts action that I mentioned. And if Amnesia had to force that type of action into the game to appeal more to a wider audience, it just wouldn't be the same masterpiece that it is. Basically, I have a gaming PC and a PS3 because I enjoy the mature games like Amnesia, and the less 'psychological and immersive' aspects of PS3 games. What's fun is fun. I enjoy both platforms.
04-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Find
benvereen Offline

Threads: 1

I don't think it's a horrible idea. Maybe not a retail package, but a digital marketplace download might be popular enough to make the porting process worth it. Then again, I'm not an expert.

But IF Amnesia were to come to consoles, I believe it would would have a profitable audience size. I've told a lot of my friends about Amnesia, and they always seem interested until I tell them it's for PC/Mac/Linux. Some people just prefer a controller or don't have a capable computer.

When I play Amnesia at work (I work at a cave and we're flooded right now so we have a lot of free time. Tongue) my co-workers get excited and even become interested in solving the puzzles while they watch. A 40 year old woman asked me where to download it and said she would as soon as she got home. My point is, Amnesia isn't just for the supposed "PC-gaming elite". It's just a game.

Having an ego about being a "PC gamer" is immature, and in my opinion, sad and pathetic. I prefer playing scary games on a computer. I like having my hands on a keyboard and mouse, with my face in the screen. It just amps up the "immersion" (goo, that word...so...over...used) for me. But that's just my preference. Someone who primarily plays games on a console won't miss the mouse and keyboard.

Console games have scared me before. Silent Hill alone if proof of that. So the whole, "games aren't scary on consoles" argument is mehhhhhhhh.

There really isn't a point in discussing this anyway. I highly doubt Amnesia will ever come to consoles. And I don't really care either way. I'm more concerned about (what seems to be the majority of) PC gamers feeling elite, or special, or more intelligent Tongue than console gamers. When you start in with the whole "this game is sooo leet and im sooo smart for playing it and console gamers couldnt handle it!" thing, it makes me feel embarrassed really. And don't make it worse by also throwing in the fact that you are an "older gamer". (Nothing wrong with being oldBig Grin!) It's just... shouldn't you not be concerned with such childish things? I mean really. A lot of you remind me of an angry scenester getting mad about his favorite band releasing an MTV video.
04-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Find
dph314 Offline

Threads: 0

Well said. Lets hope it's a while before that flood's taken care of so you can keep spreading the Amnesia word.
04-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Find
vergilmaycry Offline

Threads: 1

(04-29-2011, 05:53 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: You don't know console gamers.

Of course not. All console gamers are immature children or fratboys and can't appreciate 'fine gaming' that involves more than 2 brain cells. Wink
(/sarcasm).

Not to write flame bait, but there are plenty of obnoxious jerks on both media. You just pick between kid rage and nerd rage. Tongue

Amnesia would theoretically work on consoles, but I don't think that it'd be a sound investment for FG. As an indie PC game, they can get away with tech glitches and can quickly respond to them. To market a console game, they'd have to make sure it's perfectly optimized (since patches have been delayed on both 360 and PS3, in my experience). Further, I think that devs only make 25$ or so on a 60$ game, so they'd either have crap sales as a full price game or almost no profits.
(04-30-2011, 10:02 PM)benvereen Wrote: Having an ego about being a "PC gamer" is immature, and in my opinion, sad and pathetic.

Thanks. Smile We're all gamers here. So the whole 'my console is better than your console' (PC is technically a console Tongue) argument's as immature as you've said in your post. Live and let live, fellow gamers!
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2011, 05:43 AM by vergilmaycry.)
05-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(04-30-2011, 10:02 PM)benvereen Wrote: Then again, I'm not an expert.

You are definitely not.

(04-30-2011, 10:02 PM)benvereen Wrote: Some people just prefer a controller or don't have a capable computer.

Because they want dumbed down version of the game. And a capable computer costs less than a console.

(04-30-2011, 10:02 PM)benvereen Wrote: It's just a game.

Yup, it is. But in case you didn't noticed, it's a game we love and care for.

(04-30-2011, 10:02 PM)benvereen Wrote: I prefer playing scary games on a computer. I like having my hands on a keyboard and mouse, with my face in the screen.

You can always connect to a tv. I played Amnesia on a 42" lcd tv and it was way better from my 15.6" laptop screen.

(04-30-2011, 10:02 PM)benvereen Wrote: Someone who primarily plays games on a console won't miss the mouse and keyboard.

Because mouse and keyboard will be hard for them since they got used to dumbed down controls.

(05-01-2011, 05:38 AM)vergilmaycry Wrote: Amnesia would theoretically work on consoles, but I don't think that it'd be a sound investment for FG.

I'd like to hear that theory.
Start from controls, please?

05-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Website Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

(05-01-2011, 02:30 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(05-01-2011, 05:38 AM)vergilmaycry Wrote: Amnesia would theoretically work on consoles, but I don't think that it'd be a sound investment for FG.

I'd like to hear that theory.

(12-19-2010, 01:04 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote: releasing for a console requires a very expensive license with the console company, and requires a potentially lengthy re-development cycle to adapt it to the console hardware, and requires a commitment to troubleshoot and bugfix for each console market. It's not a trivial coding "SET Ps3 = True" done situation. It's a nuanced business decision, weighing development time against competing projects, bugfixing their current games for Mac/PC/Linux, one or several console ports, and the new HPL3 game they're developing.

They're smart people, they're not fools to throw away consoles, they're doing what's best for their company. Which to date means no console release.
05-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

It's not a trivial coding "SET Ps3 = True" done situation.

Hahhaha, I'd lol at this. Reminded me someone on ModDB saying: "Making a mod is not a 'click click done' job"

BTW, it's the title of the topic we're discussing here. Otherwise:
For next game available on consoles beside PC/MAC/Linux? OK.
Amnesia on consoles? NO.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2011, 06:52 PM by Tanshaydar.)
05-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Website Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

(05-01-2011, 02:30 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Start from controls, please?

(using the xbox 360 controller as a template)

Analoge sticks to move and look around.
A to jump.
X to run.
B to crouch.
Y to interact.

Back button - Inventory
Left Trigger - Grab
Right Trigger - Throw
Left Bumper - Notes shortcut.
Right Bumper - Mementos shortcut.

Up - Lantern
Left, Down and Right - Item shortcuts.
05-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

(05-01-2011, 02:30 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: I'd like to hear that theory.
Start from controls, please?

PS3/Xbox

Left analog stick, movement. Right analog, look/interact. R1/Right trigger: pickup/interact. X/A: jump. Square/X: toggle lantern. L3: Crouch. Select: TAB. L1/Left trigger + left analog: lean (for peering around corners). Start: Escape.

Called your bluff. Cooking that one up was mind numbing to say the least. There are plenty of unused controls left over. I don't know about others, but I for one would appreciate if you didn't go out of your way to make condescending posts on a regular basis. You've gone back and forth with people not over the topic at hand, but instead nitpicking and finding fault with everything other users say.
05-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Find