Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Least Scary "Scary" Game in History?
matches81 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Least Scary "Scary" Game in History?

I'm okay with people not liking a game as much as I do... after all I tend to have an opinion about AAA blockbuster games that differs a lot from most other people's, but posting a rant stating your opinion, telling everyone that you're not going to discuss anyway and then blaming the developers that they didn't care is just... idiotic, sorry.
For me, Amnesia is pretty darn scary (even scarier than Penumbra). I have a weakness for this kind of horror, it reminds me a lot of Lovecraft. To put it plainly: I'm more scared by notions of things to come than by the actual things. Finding a note stating that there is some evil lurking, accompanied by well-placed sound effects etc (as in Amnesia or similar movies / books / games) scares me a lot more than having "scary monsters" jump in my face every 5 minutes (as in Dead Space, Doom 3 etc).
For others, things are reversed... and sadly, there are those poor folks who are just unable to let themselves be immersed into anything.
12-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Find
LoneWolf Offline

Threads: 43

dead space = not scary one bit, but it can be a little disturbing visually. How can agame be scary if you have a gun? unless the gun sucks of course. Not having a weapon makes you very vulnerable and i like this because not many developers understand how to scare people anymore.

Eg. imagine someone broke into your house, woudl you be scared if you had to hide or confront them with no weapons apart from maybe a chair or something?

Or

woudl you be scared if you had a shotgun or some sort of handgun?

I would go for the top one, alot more scarier. If i had a gun i would feel alot calmer and would be able to confront those who broke in alot earier as i woudl know that i could end their lives by just moving my finger and aiming at them.
12-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Find
Gharren Offline

Threads: 1

Well, there are fans and there are haters, no matter what you do.
So, it's your opinion. But please let me know: What is a 'scary' game for you?
12-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Website Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

(12-26-2010, 09:45 AM)lukaspriest Wrote: Man, I am playing Amnesia, and it scares me so bad I want to turn it off and turn on my lights....(it's great!) - is Penumbra truly scarier?

Let's just say, that I never could not go on in Amnesia, but sometimes Penumbra just needs to be turned off! Tongue It is much scarier, I prefer it, but Amnesia is overall a better game.
12-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(12-28-2010, 11:50 PM)Spooder Wekd Wrote:
(12-26-2010, 09:45 AM)lukaspriest Wrote: Man, I am playing Amnesia, and it scares me so bad I want to turn it off and turn on my lights....(it's great!) - is Penumbra truly scarier?

Let's just say, that I never could not go on in Amnesia, but sometimes Penumbra just needs to be turned off! Tongue It is much scarier, I prefer it, but Amnesia is overall a better game.

The difference between Amnesia and Penumbra is that Amnesia is more scripted. Once you know where an enemy spawns in Amnesia, it is less frightening in a second playthrough because you know exactly how to bypass it. However, Penumbra has a lot more replay value because enemies are constantly patrolling and often search for you more thoroughly, making your success much more random and therefore, it keeps more scared of what happens in case of failure.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
12-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Website Find
KavazovAngel Offline

Threads: 13

Don't play the game.

Experience the experience.

Get my meaning? Smile
12-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

(12-28-2010, 11:50 PM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: Let's just say, that I never could not go on in Amnesia, but sometimes Penumbra just needs to be turned off! Tongue It is much scarier, I prefer it, but Amnesia is overall a better game.

I had the opposite situation. I had to repeatedly stop playing Amnesia due to overwhelming fear, but was 'merely' creeped out and anxious about every corner in Penumbra, and capable of continuing at will.
The takeaway is that they're both quite scary and good games.
12-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Find
Shev Offline

Threads: 25

(12-29-2010, 12:56 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote:
(12-28-2010, 11:50 PM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: Let's just say, that I never could not go on in Amnesia, but sometimes Penumbra just needs to be turned off! Tongue It is much scarier, I prefer it, but Amnesia is overall a better game.

I had the opposite situation. I had to repeatedly stop playing Amnesia due to overwhelming fear, but was 'merely' creeped out and anxious about every corner in Penumbra, and capable of continuing at will.
The takeaway is that they're both quite scary and good games.

Penumbra wasn't really that scary considering you could easily take out dogs with that first hit, and spiders where pretty easy to avoid.

Although... I just started black plague, so...

Spoiler below!
Plus the ending of penumbra was just.... I don't even know. When a dark figure is standing at the end of a hallway, in a mine with no people in it except someone you just burned, and the lights go out and the door locks behind you...

Well I just hid behind a box and eventually went "Fuck it" and just ran up to it to see what it'd do.

i spam meme 4 raeg
12-29-2010, 02:15 AM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

(12-29-2010, 02:15 AM)Shev Wrote: Penumbra wasn't really that scary considering you could easily take out dogs with that first hit, and spiders where pretty easy to avoid.

Playing on hard...the dogs kill you in 2-3 hits, and take at least 5 to kill. (though Ive never successfully killed one!) That makes it scary...
12-29-2010, 05:29 AM
Website Find
-[Badger]- Offline

Threads: 3

Scripted events arent that scary. Doom3,FEAR to name a few. Didnt scary me at all. sure they made me jump, but they made my heart race and have me thinking "oh shit , oh shit" and actually want to stop playing the game. its not the stress moments, its not the doors flipping out, or lights blowing out, but rather the background ambiance on top of those things that do it. like his breath when its cold, the floor creaking and the moans in the background, all when you know just around the corner might be the entity that is stalking you.

I must say that this game MUST be played on a Full desktop, in a dark room, with a GOOD headset, play at night,with the gamma and contrast set correctly, and near an open window so you get that chilly draft; not if you live on a busy street or in a large city.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2010, 07:31 PM by -[Badger]-.)
12-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Find