Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Any other horror games you guys play?
Droopy Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Any other horror games you guys play?

(03-31-2011, 06:45 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Definitely does NOT include any horror elements.
There is NO intention to scare the player.

Though, if you are calling the fear of death as a horror element, then blops has horror elements too. Especially, after playing Amnesia, calling L4D as a horror game...

Oh, no. I can't take it anymore. Yes, it is even scarier than Amnesia.
Yes, I, along with pretty much everyone who has played Amnesia can appreciate it's mastery of the survival horror genre.
This shouldn't be a green light to antagonize new members for posting their thoughts on a thread asking for them, regardless of how one may interpret the merit of their opinion.
I've seen you post friendlier things before, and it's great, but when you frequently post condescending or sarcastic comments on these forums, it not only pisses me (and I'm certain plenty others) off, but it drives newcomers away.

I'm a relatively newer member myself, but I don't appreciate seeing somebody casting this community -and frictional by association- in a negative light. It's disrespectful to the new members, the regulars, and the owners of the website.

That said, I'm sure you are a nice person, and I enjoy seeing your constructive comments. I just don't want to see the frictional/amnesia modding community suffer because people are too afraid to express their opinion or ask a question without fear of being flamed.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
03-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Yup, I can see. You put it clearly, even if I'm in one of those 'moods', I could understand it.

Though, this only would change my style of telling "Left 4 Dead is not a horror game". But you know, same thing over and over feels like this is someone's doing, and intentionally.

Self defence mechanism.

03-31-2011, 07:38 AM
Website Find
Leu Radu Offline

Threads: 1

I can't believe nobody mentioned Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. It's probably one of the best horror games. It resembles Amnesia in quite a few ways. It's first chapter (where you are weaponless) has much running/hiding. You can also be affected by sanity loss. You can even get dizzy from heights. It is inspired by several blood-curdling tales of the father of horror in literature, H.P. Lovecraft. A must-play for any horror fan. It really messes with your mind.

Trailer (doesn't give the game enough credit in my opinion):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQ-Xqt-d0A
03-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Find
Droopy Offline

Threads: 5

DCotE had some excellent chase scenes, really intense
03-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Find
thepaleking Offline

I usually don't mention Dark Corners because it is only the first, what, half an hour? of game play that is really horror. After that it turns into a fucking abomination of a clunky shooter mashed up with some of the worst stealth segments in the history of gaming.
04-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

It was not designed to be a stealth game but once company started to collapse, it didn't reach even %50 of its potential.

04-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Website Find
Leu Radu Offline

They were supposed to create 3 more CoC games, too bad they went bankrupt. I wonder if anyone will retry bringing Lovecraft to the gaming medium...
04-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

I tried playing Dark Corners. It's got great mood and art, but the game design and stability are below what I could stomach.
04-05-2011, 03:18 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

(04-05-2011, 03:18 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote: I tried playing Dark Corners. It's got great mood and art, but the game design and stability are below what I could stomach.

XBox version is free of bugs.

04-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Website Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

You know, after FEAR 1&2, i was seriously skeptical about number 3.... Until i read that John Carpenter is helping it regain it's scare factor. Could be interesting...
Also, you should all download Frictional's first attempt at a horror game ' The penumbra 2006 Tech Demo' if you haven't already. First horror game i played - still one of the best.

Not an image
04-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Find