Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Should I buy Penumbra.....?
lukaspriest Offline

Threads: 3
Should I buy Penumbra.....?

Here's the deal....I am currently enthralled with Amnesia...it is beyond killer, and it makes me poo my pants with delightful fear and terror. Problem is, I discovered Penumbra AFTER Amnesia.

Having only played Amnesia, would it be worth it to buy and play Penumbra? My only fear is that having played the more advanced Amnesia, Penumbra may seem old and clunky. What do you all think? I have some paypal money burning a hole in my pocket, and with the Steam sale, Penumbra sounds awfully tempting especially at only 10 bucks. What should i do? Should I buy it, or will it seem antiquated after playing Amnesia?

Thanks for your advice!
12-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Find
Dark88 Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Should I buy Penumbra.....?

(12-24-2010, 08:21 AM)lukaspriest Wrote: Here's the deal....I am currently enthralled with Amnesia...it is beyond killer, and it makes me poo my pants with delightful fear and terror. Problem is, I discovered Penumbra AFTER Amnesia.

Having only played Amnesia, would it be worth it to buy and play Penumbra? My only fear is that having played the more advanced Amnesia, Penumbra may seem old and clunky. What do you all think? I have some paypal money burning a hole in my pocket, and with the Steam sale, Penumbra sounds awfully tempting especially at only 10 bucks. What should i do? Should I buy it, or will it seem antiquated after playing Amnesia?

Thanks for your advice!

I played Penumbra after as well and it was definitely still worth it.
12-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Yes.

12-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Website Find
KavazovAngel Offline

Threads: 13

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, buy it.
12-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

Yep, easily worth it. I think the puzzles are a bit harder in Penumbra, don't give up and don't google them Tongue
12-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Find
lukaspriest Offline

I appreciate the replies....my chief concern will be if the game will feel dated....will it feel like a reasonably polished game, or will it feel like I'm playing the original Half-Life after having just finished Half Life 2? Thanks again for the advice. Luckily the Steam sale goes through January 2, or so I am told......(If not, let me know! Thanks!)
12-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Find
thedaemon Offline

It feels way more up to date than half-life. It's very good and the immersion is similar to Amnesia, just a bit lower resolution textures really. The physics are also good as well. It's a different game than Amnesia so you probably won't be burn out, it's another horror games with physics and puzzles. You can actually kill things sometimes.
12-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Find
Adiane Offline

Threads: 0

I've heard several people say that Overture in particular feels a bit dated and clunky after Amnesia. But as long as you go into it with an open mind - which IMO means taking the release date and the conditions under which it was made into consideration - then you will not be disappointed in the slightest. Basically it's an excellent set of games, but don't expect it to play just like Amnesia.
12-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

It ain't THAT out dated. Just set the graphics to max and it'll be fine.
If you have any worries about the graphics just Google some screenshots.

However, atmosphere is great in these games so the graphics will be least of your worries. Tongue

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2010, 03:04 PM by Yuhaney.)
12-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Website Find
Yodake Offline

also played first amnesia, and after overture and bp. definitely worth it. graphics were surprisingly better than expected Smile
12-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Find