Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Notch bought Amnesia!
DIGI Byte Offline

Threads: 20
RE: Notch bought Amnesia!

The biggest problem with nation red is its a start... but its not really a game, it never goes anywhere

you play the first level over and over and over and ov... you get the point
your stuck in a 5x5 meter room with walls that spit out zombies, unfortunately the game never brings anything.

its a start! but falls short as a game
nation red, has a lot of potential but they spend to much time on working on the zombies instead of the game itself
01-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Find
Som1Lse Offline

Threads: 9

(01-02-2011, 12:48 AM)Lee Wrote: But fuck, it focuses around the worst gameplay element of them all: the quick-time event.
Heavy Rain.
Probably one of the best games I have ever played also uses quick time events.

BTW: It's kind of fun how this thread evolved.
From "Notch bought Amnesia" to "Why some games are bad".
01-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Website Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

(01-02-2011, 01:25 AM)Someone else Wrote: BTW: It's kind of fun how this thread evolved.
From "Notch bought Amnesia" to "Why some games are bad".
Am I alone in thinking that a game can be bad but still amazing?

Like if a game breaks all the rules and is horrible on a technical level, it can still be great fun, so I would consider it a great game. Conversely, a game can do everything right and just be bad because it's boring, or something like that.

Perfect example is the recent Fallout games, they break a lot of rules in terms of what you can and cannot do (killing major characters? bamf!) and it is really glitchy. Yet it is great, because beyond the technical stuff it has great concepts and lots of stuff to do.

An example of the opposite would be Wet. A game with probably the best idea ever. (Over the top action with a hot lead female, plenty of slow motion, a sword, and acrobatic feats that would have Nathan Drake blushing) Yet it is extremely boring. It is not horrible on a technical level, but it is just not challenging or interesting in the least.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2011, 01:38 AM by Spooder Wekd.)
01-02-2011, 01:36 AM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(01-02-2011, 01:25 AM)Someone else Wrote: Heavy Rain.

It's easily one of the worst films I've ever watched, considering the Star-Wars-Prequels-y writing, the stiff acting, and the convoluted plot.

Would have never succeed at the box office so of course it gets praise for having high production values when you have to press certain buttons when prompted.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
01-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Website Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

(01-02-2011, 02:33 AM)Lee Wrote:
(01-02-2011, 01:25 AM)Someone else Wrote: Heavy Rain.

It's easily one of the worst films I've ever watched, considering the Star-Wars-Prequels-y writing, the stiff acting, and the convoluted plot.

Would have never succeed at the box office so of course it gets praise for having high production values when you have to press certain buttons when prompted.

So you didn't play it then. Because of you actually DID instead of making an ignorant statement, you would know it is a good game.
01-02-2011, 04:22 AM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

I didn't. However, I've "played" Fahrenheit, so I decided "fuck this, I'm never touching anything David Cage makes again" and watched an LP of Heavy Rain. I don't see how I could be more immersed by having to mash random buttons. Also tank controls, which I can't stand, even though they aren't distinctly bad for, say walking around a house.

Quick-time events never have and never will improve any game ever. This is my opinion and it will never change. Since the only gameplay in Heavy Rain is the quick-time event, I doubt I will ever like it.

You can put shit on anything, even cover it in gold, and it will still be shit.

And yes, the writing is terrible. Consider the following:
I bring my boy home from school.
I ask him some questions. He responds with no emotion, not even with boredom or disgust, as he watches TV.
A few in-game hours pass as I do chores. He does his homework, eats, etc etc.
It is time for him to go to bed. Keep in mind that this is a twelve-year-old boy. He says he needs his teddy bear and to be tucked in, so I bring him his teddy bear and tuck him in.
He says in a light, almost hopeful tone, "Dad, what happened to Jason (his brother who died by ... barely even touching a slow-moving sedan, with you as a meat cushion, no less) wasn't your fault."

That's Twilight Zone bullshit, man.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2011, 05:07 AM by Sexbad.)
01-02-2011, 05:04 AM
Website Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

(01-02-2011, 05:04 AM)Lee Wrote: I didn't. However, I've "played" Fahrenheit, so I decided "fuck this, I'm never touching anything David Cage makes again" and watched an LP of Heavy Rain. I don't see how I could be more immersed by having to mash random buttons. Also tank controls, which I can't stand, even though they aren't distinctly bad for, say walking around a house.

Quick-time events never have and never will improve any game ever. This is my opinion and it will never change. Since the only gameplay in Heavy Rain is the quick-time event, I doubt I will ever like it.

You can put shit on anything, even cover it in gold, and it will still be shit.

And yes, the writing is terrible. Consider the following:
I bring my boy home from school.
I ask him some questions. He responds with no emotion, not even with boredom or disgust, as he watches TV.
A few in-game hours pass as I do chores. He does his homework, eats, etc etc.
It is time for him to go to bed. Keep in mind that this is a twelve-year-old boy. He says he needs his teddy bear and to be tucked in, so I bring him his teddy bear and tuck him in.
He says in a light, almost hopeful tone, "Dad, what happened to Jason (his brother who died by ... barely even touching a slow-moving sedan, with you as a meat cushion, no less) wasn't your fault."

That's Twilight Zone bullshit, man.

In context to the story that all makes enough sense. I'm not saying it is some great god of games, I'm saying it's good. I really liked it. It made me really care about the characters and story, and there were plenty of plot twists to keep me interested. And once I knew how it ended I went back and played again and got totally different results. Not just in the ending, but throughout the game things happened differently.
And most of the game is not quick time events, its like 75 - 25 in favor of tank controls that are admittedly weak, but not horrible. The game is horribly misrepresented and people like you cannot really understand why pretty much anyone who has played it really likes it. That's the media's fault though...
Also, Fahrenheit was pretty bad...
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2011, 05:41 AM by Spooder Wekd.)
01-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

So it's only 25% quick-time events. And it's 75% walking around with tank controls...

That changes my entire outlook on life.

01-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Website Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

(01-02-2011, 06:38 AM)Lee Wrote: So it's only 25% quick-time events. And it's 75% walking around with tank controls...

That changes my entire outlook on life.

hah. It just urks me to see how misrepresented the game is....its about as life changing as the fact that Notch bought Amnesia!
01-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

whooza bah what now?

01-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Website Find