Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Linux Beta Demo and Feedback (1.0.1 Final Out)
OuchOfDeath Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback

I'm on Ubuntu (7.04 testing) x64 and I was able to get the game working after messing around with things like copying libraries and the sort.

First off I already had 32-bit compatibility libraries installed when I started trying to get it to work. If I didn't I probably wouldn't get too far. Tongue

Ok, so when I executed the installer the first thing I got was an ugly: awk: cannot open ./bin/linux/x86_64/edelta_src (No such file or directory)

I extracted the installer to look around with what was wrong and I immediately noticed it was looking for files in the x86_64 directory, but the problem was that directory didn't exist. The nixstaller is only 32-bit. The other problem was it detected my system as x64, which lead the installer to fail. I found the solution to this problem looking around if I was missing any 32-bit compatibility packages. I found the linux32 package. It was a simple wrapper that would tell a program it was running in a 32-bit environement. So I ran: linux32 ./PenumbraDemo.sh and voila! The installer reported being run in an x86 environment, started, and went by flawlessly.

When I attempted to start the game I was greeted with an ugly: error while loading shared libraries: libvorbisfile.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The game was attempting to load this library, but the problem was it was 64-bit. So I went to packages.ubuntu.com and downloaded the 32-bit version libvorbisfile package and extracted the library into the game's lib folder. I had to do this 2 more times for 2 other libraries(libvorbis and libogg) and then the game started up and ran perfectly.

Would it be possible to include these libraries with the game so it's easier to run it in x64? They only take up 130KB when compressed.

One more thing I did is I added these 3 lines to the beginning of the penumbrademo script file:
#!/bin/sh
path="`dirname \"${0}\"`"
cd "${path}"

Then it could be double clicked from a GUI file manager to start the game up.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2007, 03:21 PM by the Mage.)
03-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

ViRgiLiO Wrote:I guess if Linux will be supported as Windows version. If so, I will buy right now a copy of the game.[/align]

Currently, however, for episode 1 the linux and mac versions will be separate from the Windows versions, and be available as download only. For Episode 2 we will hopefully have a unified CD with all three OSes on the CD.

Quote:the installer (fortunately!) told me the command it wasn't able to run (i was, tho) and so i was able to install the game now, quickly started it and it seems to run fine. i'll wait until my system update is through (darn you, gentoo. heh) and then really play it

Probably my bad choice of installers. I may switch back to the good ol' Loki Installer.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
03-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Website Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

OuchOfDeath Wrote:Would it be possible to include these libraries with the game so it's easier to run it in x64? They only take up 130KB when compressed.

Yes, of course.. I have them in the dist directory for any future builds of the installer now.

OuchOfDeath Wrote:One more thing I did is I added these 3 lines to the beginning of the penumbrademo script file:
#!/bin/sh
path="`dirname \"${0}\"`"
cd "${path}"
Done.

I will also look into getting a .desktop setup so it will show up in the menus automatically.

And I will try re-building the nixstaller w/ 32 and 64 bit support for the installer (not sure if he has 64bit mode working).. But the game will ONLY support 32bit however.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
03-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Website Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Just want to add that we are not sure yet how the linux and mac version will be sold. And it is not sure either if they will be in the CD for ep2, that is just what we hope Smile

We will offcourse do our best so that Linux and Mac owners have many ways to get the game and we also hope that it will be boxed for the next episode. However, we do not have any definate information on this yet.
03-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Find
ViRgiLiO Offline

Thomas Wrote:Just want to add that we are not sure yet how the linux and mac version will be sold. And it is not sure either if they will be in the CD for ep2, that is just what we hope Smile

We will offcourse do our best so that Linux and Mac owners have many ways to get the game and we also hope that it will be boxed for the next episode. However, we do not have any definate information on this yet.

This new information makes me wait until an official linux version arrives. I know that linux gamers are not the main target for game industry, so games like Penumbra give us the choice to enjoy a good moderm game on linux machines. Thank you, I hope you will keep on working on linux binaries.
03-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Find
Domi2007
Unregistered

Hi,
I tried to start the Linux demo on a Fedora Core 6 system. The game installed well, but when I tried to start the game I get the following error:

./penumbrademo.bin: error while loading shared libraries: ./lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied

libSDL-1.2.so.0 is available in the lib directory at the penumbra overture installation path and I installed the game as user, so I got all the rights of every file. I have no idea why that error occurs or how I can fix it, please help me.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2007, 05:36 PM by r00b.)
03-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Diablo150
Unregistered

OuchOfDeath:
I've the same issue with linux32 or with my 32bits chroot environment

I think the problem for 32 or 64 bits is just some missing libs.
03-23-2007, 05:33 PM
hikaricore Offline

Urkle Wrote:I'm downloading a copy of Ubuntu 6.10 32-bit and will test it and see if I can track down the issue.

Thank you for the assistance Smile

I'm really looking forward to trying this out, and if it plays like I believe it does I'll definately be buying it at release. =D

If this turns out to be an issue with libraries as has been suggested, the debian/ubuntu solution may be as simple as symlinking some libs or force updating them on our systems.
03-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Find
maggux Offline

hi

I also get a Error message

madman@Vigor100:~/PenumbraEp1Demo> ./penumbrademo
./penumbrademo: line 2:  6390 Gleitkomma-Ausnahme     (core dumped) LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib ./penumbrademo.bin

My System
Suse10.1
AthlonXP 2400
Nvidia GeFore 6600

here some information
gdb ./penumbrademo.bin  core.6390
GNU gdb 6.4
Copyright 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i586-suse-linux"...(no debugging symbols found)
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

warning: core file may not match specified executable file.
(no debugging symbols found)
Core was generated by `./penumbrademo.bin'.
Program terminated with signal 8, Arithmetic exception.

warning: Can't read pathname for load map: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.3...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.3
Reading symbols from /home/madman/PenumbraEp1Demo/lib/libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for ./lib/libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0
Reading symbols from /home/madman/PenumbraEp1Demo/lib/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for ./lib/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0
Reading symbols from /home/madman/PenumbraEp1Demo/lib/libopenal.so.0...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for ./lib/libopenal.so.0
Reading symbols from /home/madman/PenumbraEp1Demo/lib/libalut.so.0...
(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for ./lib/libalut.so.0
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libGL.so.1...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1
Reading symbols from /home/madman/PenumbraEp1Demo/lib/libCg.so...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for ./lib/libCg.so
Reading symbols from /home/madman/PenumbraEp1Demo/lib/libCgGL.so...
Loaded symbols for ./lib/libCgGL.so
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/libm.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libm.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/libgcc_s.so.1...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /home/madman/PenumbraEp1Demo/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for ./lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/libz.so.1...
Loaded symbols for /lib/libz.so.1
Reading symbols from /lib/libpthread.so.0...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libpthread.so.0
Reading symbols from /lib/libdl.so.2...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libdl.so.2
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1...
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1
Reading symbols from /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6
Reading symbols from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/ld-linux.so.2
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libogg.so.0...
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libogg.so.0
#0  0xb7fde1fb in do_lookup_x () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
(gdb) bt
#0  0xb7fde1fb in do_lookup_x () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#1  0xb7fde587 in _dl_lookup_symbol_x () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#2  0xb7fdfbff in _dl_relocate_object () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#3  0xb7fd9778 in dl_main () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#4  0xb7fe81cb in _dl_sysdep_start () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#5  0xb7fd61f4 in _dl_start () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#6  0xb7fd5847 in _start () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
(gdb) q

greetings
Maggux
03-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Find
Domi2007
Unregistered

I solved the problem by myself. I just symlinked my original libSDL-1.2.so.0 from /usr/lib into the directory of Penumbra. You have to solve the problem with this file before you release penumbra.
03-23-2007, 10:45 PM