Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesias's price vs content
pedritti Offline

Threads: 1
Amnesias's price vs content

I am making this thread solely due to the fact that this idea has been nagging me and i would like to know what other people think.

I bought Amnesia a week ago and finished it already.
I bought it from Steam and it cost me 15 Euros.
I was very satisfied with my experience and feel those were 15 euros very well spent.

I do however feel that be this game amazing as it is i feel that it is only worth buying to the fact that it costs 15 euros. If it cost 40-50 i think it would be too much given i feel the game has little replay value and the content is short.
They could have fixed this a bit if they hadn't allowed you to finish the game 3 times in a row just by loading the last part of the game. They should have forced you to finish it 3 times to see all endings simply by deleting your saves after you finished.

Anyway i feel the game experience is great but replay value is short due to fixed monster locations and fixed scares, with the ending leaving a bit of a sour taste in your mouth. They were all very expected and i feel they didn't put much effort in them.

I mean just look at the end of penumbra black plague and you'll see what an ending to a game should be like. Its like: WOW!!! Exclamation
Here i was like meh.

So that is why i feel that this game although beeing great and a mark in gaming history is not worth more than 15 bucks.

What do you think?
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2011, 03:21 AM by pedritti.)
02-10-2011, 03:20 AM
Find
kailip Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Amnesias's price vs content

I believe this is exactly why the game isn't any more expensive. lol

by the way, there are custom stories to increase the replay value, there are a few decent stories in the forum.
02-10-2011, 03:37 AM
Find
wayfareangel Offline

Threads: 0

To be fair, they DID make the game modable to compensate for lack of replay content.

But then again, I NEVER buy games and I'm willing to shell out money for this. It's $20 here in Canada, and that's a pretty good price. Most of the games I see aren't half as good, and sell for twice that.
02-10-2011, 04:40 AM
Find
pedritti Offline

As for the custom stories i feel that this was a way for the developers to not have to worry with extra content and leave that too the fans. Although i applaud the possibility i cant help but feel that the reason they put this is to not have to look at this game ever again .
The problem with custom stories right now is that in all fairness there are few good ones and you finish them in 8 minutes. Its very hard to make custom stories and takes ages of your life to make a decent one.

I could only see custom stories getting good if this game sold like 2 million copies and teams of people joined up to make them. Right now its just 1 person doing them and that takes months if not years to make a long custom story. Add to that the fact that not all of the population who played amnesia comes to these forums .

Like the guy who created "Wake" said: I dont feel like spending months of my life on something 50 people are going to play"
02-10-2011, 04:50 AM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

I can't blame them, they were on the verge of bankruptcy and needed to get this game out. I'm almost sure they would have made it longer, or added random monster spawns given the sufficient resources.

02-10-2011, 05:00 AM
Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

...and it's still better than 90% of the games that cost 50-60$ ~
02-10-2011, 05:14 AM
Find
pedritti Offline

(02-10-2011, 05:00 AM)xiphirx Wrote: I can't blame them, they were on the verge of bankruptcy and needed to get this game out. I'm almost sure they would have made it longer, or added random monster spawns given the sufficient resources.

Yes that is what really sucks !
I guess now they will have more time and breathing space to focus on their new game except its not going to be a horror game which makes me a sad panda.
02-10-2011, 06:21 AM
Find
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6

I think there's replay value in the game. Not right after you finish it, but give it a few weeks/months and you will have forgotten a lot of the events. It felt more like a book to me, obviously because it's a single player story-based experience. I wouldn't read a book again right after finishing it but maybe would after a year or so.
02-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

There are countless Custom Stories (aka Mods) you can play with the given 15 Euros, where all of the mods are free.

What about a story like that?
- Grace and David have a happy marriage.
- The End!

$60

02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Website Find
pedritti Offline

(02-10-2011, 11:40 AM)mattwestwick Wrote: I think there's replay value in the game. Not right after you finish it, but give it a few weeks/months and you will have forgotten a lot of the events. It felt more like a book to me, obviously because it's a single player story-based experience. I wouldn't read a book again right after finishing it but maybe would after a year or so.

Yeah i guess that makes sense. Smile

Though as to the custom stories i feel kinda mixed ( What i wrote a few posts above)
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2011, 04:58 PM by pedritti.)
02-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Find