Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Feedback from a 16 year old casual gamer
Deu sex Offline

Threads: 26
RE: Feedback from a 16 year old casual gamer

Dude I never played a game with a more incredible universe than the one from Deus Ex, if you say Deus Ex's world is boring, then I really want to know what is the name (or names) of the game (or games) who has a better one.

Because I'm going to buy it (or them) right now.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2011, 01:59 AM by Deu sex.)
03-15-2011, 01:57 AM
Find
thepaleking Offline

Threads: 1

(03-15-2011, 01:57 AM)Deu sex Wrote: Dude I never played a game with a more incredible universe than the one from Deus Ex, if you say Deus Ex's world is boring, then I really want to know what is the name (or names) of the game (or games) who has a better one.

Because I'm going to buy it (or them) right now.

None of these are "better", but if you like well developed game worlds: Planescape: Torment, STALKER series, Fallout, Grim Fandango, Arcanum, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (most similar to Deus Ex).

All greatly engrossing games with superb writing, characters, and atmosphere.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2011, 02:39 AM by thepaleking.)
03-15-2011, 02:38 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

JC Denton cost X billion dollars to build but is a worse shot than I am (or ever was, without any kind of military training). This is sort of balanced with the fact that bad guys are blind as bats and stupid as bricks. Voice acting is consistently terrible. Levels are bland and ugly (by 2000 standards). Basic government conspiracy plot.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
03-15-2011, 02:53 AM
Website Find
Deu sex Offline

yea, stalker fallout vampire mb... <3

really need to give a try to the other games you mentioned. ^^

"This is sort of balanced with the fact that bad guys are blind as bats and stupid as bricks."

this is probably the only thing which I agree, but the reason of this "blindness" was the low resolution (most of people was running the game in 800*600 mode when it came out), the IA had to fit with that.

I'm playing deus ex int 1440*900 and I must admit the ennemi distance detection seems very low, but I put the game in 800*600 just to see, and that was really more adapted.

this is probably the most damaged part of the game due to the "11 years old" effect ^^
03-15-2011, 03:16 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

Grim Fandango is a tear-jerking masterpiece. I was distraught the day after I beat it, knowing there was no more of the game for me to continue.
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines used to be a loveable wreck, but fan-patches have made it work much better, with a lot of restored content. I still keep only getting two of the worse endings. Silent sledgehammer take-downs, true sign of a master.
03-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

(03-15-2011, 12:18 AM)Lee Wrote: Also Deus Ex is bad. It's like a good RPG except not because the world is boring and the enemies are dumber than bricks.

ALL OF MY HATE

Deus Ex is the best game ever created, and I only discovered it in 2009. Seriously. The world is actually incredibly interesting, if you take the time to read things, hack emails, listen to convos etc. Amazing amazing amazing game.

(03-15-2011, 02:53 AM)Lee Wrote: JC Denton cost X billion dollars to build but is a worse shot than I am (or ever was, without any kind of military training). This is sort of balanced with the fact that bad guys are blind as bats and stupid as bricks. Voice acting is consistently terrible. Levels are bland and ugly (by 2000 standards). Basic government conspiracy plot.
RPG. Skill system. He wasn't engineered to be perfect, he was engineered to be a prototype for nano augmentations.

As for basic conspiracy plot, you either didn't finish it or we're very ignorant of the plot and subplots.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2011, 10:53 AM by Bek.)
03-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Find
Redeemer Offline

Threads: 2

Deu sex Wrote:ever played half life ?
Yup. Used to play it all the time with my brother.

I've never played Deus Ex, and personally I don't care to. Like I said, I'm not into big games. They waste too much of my time.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2011, 02:44 PM by Redeemer.)
03-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(03-15-2011, 10:51 AM)Bek Wrote:
(03-15-2011, 02:53 AM)Lee Wrote: JC Denton cost X billion dollars to build but is a worse shot than I am (or ever was, without any kind of military training). This is sort of balanced with the fact that bad guys are blind as bats and stupid as bricks. Voice acting is consistently terrible. Levels are bland and ugly (by 2000 standards). Basic government conspiracy plot.
RPG. Skill system. He wasn't engineered to be perfect, he was engineered to be a prototype for nano augmentations.

He probably was engineered to be better than a normal soldier. Of course there are RPG elements, but you don't design a super-agent to start out as a fucking cripple who is more likely to die than gain experience in his field training.

I perfectly understand that there are RPG elements, and Deus Ex is more of an RPG than most, considering what most people call RPGs are basically hero simulators. But the RPG-play is poorly implemented. Why not have him start out as a competent soldier (and also make the actual gameplay better) and give him better and better unique abilities with experience, for instance?

(03-15-2011, 10:51 AM)Bek Wrote: As for basic conspiracy plot, you either didn't finish it or we're very ignorant of the plot and subplots.

Of course I didn't finish it. Because it was terribly built full of bad game design choices.

I love the smell of fresh thread napalm in the morning.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2011, 09:11 PM by Sexbad.)
03-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Website Find
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6

I struggle playing some old games now.

I find it better to remember them as they were and how I enjoyed them at that time.

If I play Wolfenstein or Mohaa now I just notice how newer games have better features and get frustrated.

Still, some are good enough to never get old. Sensible soccer anyone?
03-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Find
Deu sex Offline

(03-15-2011, 10:51 AM)Bek Wrote:
(03-15-2011, 12:18 AM)Lee Wrote: Also Deus Ex is bad. It's like a good RPG except not because the world is boring and the enemies are dumber than bricks.

ALL OF MY HATE

Deus Ex is the best game ever created, and I only discovered it in 2009. Seriously. The world is actually incredibly interesting, if you take the time to read things, hack emails, listen to convos etc. Amazing amazing amazing game.

As for basic conspiracy plot, you either didn't finish it or we're very ignorant of the plot and subplots.

Yea, personally, Deus Ex is the best gaming experience of my entire life. I'm playing videogames since 1995 on SNES, and I played a lot. Only discoverded Deus Ex in 2010, best gaming experience of my life.

I just can't understand how it is possible to dislike this game, but I respect your opinion Lee.
03-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Find