Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 26 Vote(s) - 4.08 Average
Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED)
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED)

(05-24-2011, 08:02 PM)Streetboat Wrote: Cryaotic: Your playthrough is hilarious! I thoroughly enjoyed hearing your commentary as you played. You need to use more tinderboxes, though, that's why there are so many of them! You missed a note in the Woodshop that only reveals itself when you light one of the lanterns. Tongue

I've had this horrible habit from past gaming experience where I hoard things and don't use them. Absolutely dreadful!

However I do love your custom story good sir, even if I am failing tremendously at it.

Though I must ask
Spoiler below!
I died during the scene where it tells me to run as I was trying to close the second door I come across, it then tells me to try again but then says The End.

Was this really the end of the demo or did I miss something quite big by not surviving that chase scene?

Keep up the great work!

05-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

No, that's not the end at all. The scripting is so complex that making checkpoints would have ruined the continuity of the story and scripts would have broken, so I sent the player back to the menu. You need to keep trying, basically. In the next release I'll look into making that portion less dangerous, as a lot of people seem to have died there. When I play through that area, there's usually juuuuust enough time for me to squeeze through the doors I need to go through. There is a whole other level after that with a proper ending, though!

[Image: signature-2.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2011, 08:49 PM by Streetboat.)
05-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Find
Cryaotic Offline

(05-24-2011, 08:45 PM)Streetboat Wrote: No, that's not the end at all. The scripting is so complex that making checkpoints would have ruined the continuity of the story and scripts would have broken, so I sent the player back to the menu. You need to keep trying, basically. In the next release I'll look into making that portion less dangerous, as a lot of people seem to have died there. When I play through that area, there's usually juuuuust enough time for me to squeeze through the doors I need to go through. There is a whole other level after that with a proper ending, though!

Oh! Looks like I'll need to re-do my recording then for part 2, glad I asked before I uploaded it tomorrow.

Good to know! I look forward to seeing what I was missing out on.

05-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Find
bobbo Offline

Threads: 1

Spoiler below!
You mean the chase after the safe/key/library part? I think you don't need to close the door during that chase. Iirc I just ran to the locked door, used the key, threw it open and kept running to the map-ending-door that's ahead in that hallway.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2011, 08:59 PM by bobbo.)
05-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Yeah, you don't need to at all. The safest way to survive that chase is actually
Spoiler below!
to never close the door to the dining room behind you after you first see the monster walk across the hallway.

Smile

05-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Streetboat, this story looks very interesting! Very different from most Smile

05-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Find
Cryaotic Offline

Spoiler below!
Just finished the rest of the demo, and I must say I loved it! Extremely atmospheric and the small touches of detail you put in are absolutely wonderful.

From the tree falling in through the window, to even the placement of items like tinderboxes (seeing them always standing upright seems to static, so having them rolling around in a drawer was nice).

I also really enjoyed the touch with the taking the dagger at Jane's hand and the hole in the door. All of it being wrapped up with a foreboding knowing that Curt knows what he is doing and doesn't like it. The image of the suit of armor with red was down right creepy and damn memorable.

Excellent job, Streetboat! I hope you continue!

05-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Find
betafotball Offline

Threads: 1

(05-25-2011, 02:18 PM)Cryaotic Wrote:
Spoiler below!
Just finished the rest of the demo, and I must say I loved it! Extremely atmospheric and the small touches of detail you put in are absolutely wonderful.

From the tree falling in through the window, to even the placement of items like tinderboxes (seeing them always standing upright seems to static, so having them rolling around in a drawer was nice).

I also really enjoyed the touch with the taking the dagger at Jane's hand and the hole in the door. All of it being wrapped up with a foreboding knowing that Curt knows what he is doing and doesn't like it. The image of the suit of armor with red was down right creepy and damn memorable.

Excellent job, Streetboat! I hope you continue!

I knew you would like it. Will you upload the next part today?

My name is Legion, for we are many
05-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Small bugfix: You may bypass lighting the lamp by crouching and picking up the note. Perhaps you need to move the scriptarea a bit further down Smile

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

05-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Ha, good catch. Thanks!

Cry: Just saw the second part of your Let's Play. It's great, as usual. Big Grin What's lovely is that the silliest part of the entire story (there's a dead body! Stab it!) could have been explained fairly easily with just one more line added to one of the notes. Looks like that's another mystery I need to solve for the full version!

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2011, 09:31 PM by Streetboat.)
05-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Find