Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 26 Vote(s) - 4.08 Average
Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED)
RikeuAmeva Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED)

(06-22-2011, 03:33 PM)Finzy Wrote: Well, seemed like an awesome custom story, really liked the backstory with the whole "blizzard" thing going on, giving you an actual reason to explore the house. I couldn't finish it though; I got as far as pulling some switch in a basement area, and then a monster appeared in the study. However, due to some weird bug, I couldn't move up from the ladder at all, and the monster kept pacing the room up there forever. (It seems that it can't spot you from the ladder at all either, I was staring right into its face and it just kept walking Tongue) I thought maybe I was supposed to pile up some rocks to get to the upper floor since there was a hole in the ceiling, but that didn't work either. So I guess my game just bugged and I have to restart it all over again. Undecided Please fix it.

Agree that saving would be a nice feature to have too, especially in the full version. I died once initially since the monster "came back" and my sanity instantly dropped to zero, so I couldn't run away.

Spoiler below!
Not sure about the ladder bug, but in the Study, the Brute isn't supposed to disappear, you have to sneak past him =p
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2011, 04:55 AM by RikeuAmeva.)
06-23-2011, 04:55 AM
Find
JetlinerX Offline

Threads: 49

SOLUTION TO THE LADDER PROBLEM:
Spoiler below!
I had the ladder problem. You just need to pull the carpet ALL THE WAY BACK. Also, you need to make sure the monster doesnt step on it, or objects dont get thrown on it, otherwise it will slide back in place.

Lead Developer of "The Attic"
~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

(This post was last modified: 06-23-2011, 05:22 AM by JetlinerX.)
06-23-2011, 05:18 AM
Website Find
Repus32 Offline

Threads: 3

These reviews sound good, but I couldn't really play this one. It crashed shortly after exploring the study. Didn't even give me a reason :/

Will probably re-install and try again
06-26-2011, 06:24 AM
Find
ChoskarChulian Offline

Threads: 8

"Streetboat"?
...Sir??

You just made someone make an account, just so he could post in your thread.
This Custom Story was most pleasing, not to say...EXTREMLY AMAZING!!

I was most impressed, the athmospheare...woah...The scares...phew...
Needless to say I made friend with those Grey Armor Guys from the Middleages.
Also, with tehm chaires. I called them "Chairy" (this is no joke, lol, all this is true).

Plus at the End, when I was afraid I might lose "Greyi" or "Chairy", "Chairy" told me he also comes in the form of walls, everywhere there is a wall, he is. His second name is "Wally".

You said you have problems with the story??
Here are my SUGGESTIONS, they might be HELPFUL:
Well I think when you first encounter a monster, you´re character should be literally like "What the F*ck? I need to get out of here"...Then you go back from where you came and the door is gone, a text line appears coming from your char: "What the Hell? There was a Door. What the F*ck is this??
Oh my God, what am I supposed to now, why does this happen to me?"

I think if you used those text lines ALOT (like the "yes I can think much clearer now" part) that would be sth. new & refreshing, which you haven´t seen before in customs storys. The character should get some "colour", not be so "pale".
You should be able to sympathize with him, because he has the exact same FEELINGS as YOU do.

He/You have to be FORCED to go through there. Neither you nor your char want to continue, but you just can´t get out.

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2011, 09:39 PM by ChoskarChulian.)
07-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Website Find
bobbo Offline

Threads: 1

(07-05-2011, 09:37 PM)ChoskarChulian Wrote: I think if you used those text lines ALOT (like the "yes I can think much clearer now" part) that would be sth. new & refreshing, which you haven´t seen before in customs storys. The character should get some "colour", not be so "pale".
You should be able to sympathize with him, because he has the exact same FEELINGS as YOU do.

He/You have to be FORCED to go through there. Neither you nor your char want to continue, but you just can´t get out.

I personally wouldn't like to see such lines used a lot. Of course they shouldn't read "Mh, maybe I should investigate" totally relaxed if the character was in fact supposed to be scared, but I wouldn't like constantly reading "Uahahaha, what is this?!" lines. I don't have the same "feelings" as my character, I'm sitting at my desk and not in a closet hiding from monsters and of course I do want to continue. Smile
07-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

It's not a good idea to force your character's emotions too much on the player, because the player shouldn't have to be told to be scared. If you make the character make a bunch of gulping sounds and text saying 'oh my god I'm so scert', it's just cheesy and stops being scary. The only time when a lot of on-screen text is appropriate is when the character is relaying information that the player might not understand. For example, my current custom story has a lot of messages (not in note form, don't worry!) but they relay information such as what an object is, what it used to mean to the character, etc. Not 'OMG WHAT WAS THAT'. Smile

[Image: signature-2.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2011, 04:36 PM by Streetboat.)
07-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Find
vanjavk Offline

Threads: 5

how to climb the ladder? monster is there spying on me and i can't climb out of hole Sad

there is a block box, i made a static rock glitch and found out, here is the savegame, fixxxxx Sad

SAVEGAME-MEDIAFIRE

vanjavk
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2011, 11:55 AM by vanjavk.)
07-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Find
skypeskype Offline

Threads: 6

This "climbing the ladder issue" never occured to me. Hmmm, try to pull the carpet ALL THE WAY and if it doesn't work pull it only a bit so you can climb back up.
07-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Website Find
vanjavk Offline

(07-09-2011, 07:20 PM)skypeskype Wrote: This "climbing the ladder issue" never occured to me. Hmmm, try to pull the carpet ALL THE WAY and if it doesn't work pull it only a bit so you can climb back up.

did you loaded savegame???? i guess not, i can't even reach the carpet...

vanjavk
07-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Find
AlexxShadenk777 Offline

Very intense, is what I can say to sum up the feel of this custom story. The pacing is kind of like a rollercoster, the point of riding it is to get excited with each turn, and with few pauses in between, this will create a fantastic impact if you make the whole run like this, forcing the player to be constantly on edge. Keep it up.

A couple extra notes:

1 - The story description, one of the sentences reads 'collapse inside the back door'. I had to lol a bit. You can't collapse inside a door. You can collapse inside rooms, or closets, but never inside doors! I would suggest rephrasing this, such as in 'you collapse just as you entered through the back door'.

2 - The sound went completely mute when I picked up the Progress Report 9/30/1887 note. Had to save & exit and load the game.
07-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Find