Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Update?
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18
RE: Update?

(04-09-2011, 12:21 AM)Macil Wrote: @Ricotez:

I agree.

I think the Omen file is too long to be some kind of character-replaced/shifted password. I thought it was some kind of image file that needed to be encoded (not to savvy about that kind of trickery). There are a couple of hints (at least) to ignore the Omen in regards to the RAR.
Don't think it is some kind of image with my playing around of RGB values, but happy to be proven wrong.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2011, 01:41 AM by Apjjm.)
04-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Find
p0rtalthinker Offline

Threads: 1

Hey guys,

Just registered here after reading all 18 pages of this thread, and I gotta say these last few updates been pretty exciting to say the least. DLC incoming or is it all just an April fools joke? What do the glyphs mean? New sound files, notes, etc. Lots of which have already been discovered here. needless to say, I'm working as hard as you guys to uncovering the password for the RAR files. Currently playing through the game for the third time since the potato update; searching for clues on the most recent nuggets of info that's been uncovered.

Since it's my first post as well (and I didn't see an introduction thread anywhere) I figured this is as good of a place as any to say a few things about myself. I'm a hardcore PC gamer indoctrinated at an early age, and play most of my games exclusively through Steam. I normally don't play a lot of indie titles but in the past year I've gravitated towards them more and more, while at the same time playing some AAA titles.

The first time I'd heard of Frictional Games and Amnesia was when Game Informer reviewed the title, and once I'd heard the main plot details soon enough i'd started hearing about how damned scarey it was from the games industry everywhere; mainly podcasts like Weekend Confirmed, Bombcast, and others. I wasn't a huge fan of horror games (FEAR was about the limits I wanted to take myself) but the high praise and title as "The Most Terrifying And Scary Game You'll Ever Play" made me go ahead and take a leap of faith, putting down the 20 bucks and hoping for the best.

Needless to say, I was quite impressed. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is without a doubt one of the most unique and amazing games I've played to date. It definitely earns its title, and I just love the level of immersion and little details Friction Games have put into Amnesia; from the simple but effective mouse interaction, to the sound and art design has earned it and this Swedish (?) development team a special place in my heart.

But look at me, preaching to the choir and babbling on and on about a game everyone here's already played to death, no doubt! I'll keep you guys updated if I find anything unusual or new that I come across...

Keep making awesome games,
-p0rtal

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2011, 01:33 AM by p0rtalthinker.)
04-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Find
Dindril Offline

(04-09-2011, 12:21 AM)Macil Wrote: @Ricotez:

I agree.

I think the Omen file is too long to be some kind of character-replaced/shifted password. I thought it was some kind of image file that needed to be encoded (not to savvy about that kind of trickery). There are a couple of hints (at least) to ignore the Omen in regards to the RAR.

Actually, i have to wonder how intricate this all is. With the references to the other game, and the free DLC reference... the rar files may contain content for the other game, and thus, in order to solve the whole thing, you need the bundle that started all of this.

Just a thought.
04-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Find
Mastermind Offline

Threads: 0

(04-08-2011, 03:54 AM)Mastermind Wrote: Daniel! You killed me! You took my life away! If only you'll realize what you've done, what violence you have forced upon history! You have to make it right, you selfish old boy.

I am offering you redemption, but I need you to give me the answers. Rid yourself of guilt: tell me at once!

The man who escaped death in Grenoble, who is he? Who is hunting me? And, who is the Banished One?

You laughed when I told you I would call on Gabriel to help. You know him - where did you meet him?

You are slipping. Your mind is questioning my existence. My request is sincere, Daniel. This is all real! Where did you leave your sister?

Daniel, you are going mad. Go home. Call on her. [Bless?] her name and let her bring you home to England.

Listen, if there is any will in you left, answer my questions and let them make a name for yourself.

I've been working on cleaning up the updated .ogg files and removing the phonograph background. I still can't quite make out the "[Bless?] her name..." part, though. If it says "What's her name?", than we may be looking at another question to consider for the puzzle.

Here are the cleaned up audio files: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G81XOHX6

I've also attached a copy to this post.

(04-09-2011, 12:21 AM)Macil Wrote: I have some possible answers to the questions asked in the sound file, which were, as you will recall:
  • "The man who escaped death in Grenoble, who is he?"
  • "Who is hunting me?"
  • "And, who is the Banished One?"
  • "I would call on Gabriel to help. You know him - where did you meet him?"
  • "Where did you leave your sister?"
#1. Agrippa (A or G)
http://amnesia.wikia.com/wiki/Notes
  • Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa, the well known erudite, visited Altstadt at the start of the 16th century ... One day he went to investigate a burrow in the northwestern glades only to never be seen again ... Heinrich is known to have passed away in Grenoble some ten years later.
#2. Daniel ( D ) / This could also be answered as "I am"

#3. Alexander ( A )

#4. Brennenburg ( B ) / Mortuary ( M )

I seem to recall it was suggested that the Brute was Gabriel. And, afterall, she says: "You laughed when I told you I would call on Gabriel to help." Perhaps she did call him (after she was dead) ...

#5. Mayfair ( M ) / Canterbury ( C )

Of course, Daniel is from Mayfair (as established in the intro.), so his family may be there, as well. However --

http://amnesia.wikia.com/wiki/Hazel
  • When Hazel turned fifteen she had lived three years longer than doctor Tate had foreseen. Her parents had given up from exhaustion and decided to have her committed for permanent treatment at Canterbury Hospice, but she was still alive. She had embraced him and wished him a grand adventure in Algeria.
Anyway, food for thought.

(edit: also wanted to emphasize the part of the sound file that says: "answer my questions and let them make a name for yourself.")

Looks like a great start. If we can nail this down and decipher the meaning, I think we'll be much better off. I'm very interested in what this might mean:

(04-08-2011, 10:11 PM)Francis York Morgan Wrote: The murdered voice, she can help release the gaseous moist, and reach the inner web.

Attached Files
.zip   Clean_Phonograph.zip (Size: 866.79 KB / Downloads: 96)
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2011, 01:53 AM by Mastermind.)
04-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Find
FrostArctic Offline

http://valvearg.com/wiki/File:Blue_text.jpg

Translating the second parts of the text gives the words "Cthulhu Mythos" (H.P. Lovecraft). Just figured that out thanks to the Amnesia Update thing on valvearg. (http://valvearg.com/wiki/Amnesia_The_Dar...nal_Update)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu_Mythos

If this hasn't been already discovered, I'm almost certain this will help. I've been pondering about this for a while but couldn't figure out myself how this can. Created an account here just to share this info.

Quote:Looks like a great start. If we can nail this down and decipher the meaning, I think we'll be much better off. I'm very interested in what this might mean:

(Yesterday 11:11 PM)Francis York Morgan Wrote: The murdered voice, she can help release the gaseous moist, and reach the inner web.

What I was thinking myself was that this relates to GLaDOS (as she is a voice, that you had "killed"). Maybe a bit far-fetched, but with this amount of game references put in this riddle it might as well be. If so, it could mean that we'd need her to crack the code and see what's inside the RAR files.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2011, 02:03 AM by FrostArctic.)
04-09-2011, 02:01 AM
Find
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6

Yeh it says "whats her name?"
04-09-2011, 02:04 AM
Find
Mastermind Offline

(04-09-2011, 02:01 AM)FrostArctic Wrote:
Quote:Looks like a great start. If we can nail this down and decipher the meaning, I think we'll be much better off. I'm very interested in what this might mean:

(Yesterday 11:11 PM)Francis York Morgan Wrote: The murdered voice, she can help release the gaseous moist, and reach the inner web.

What I was thinking myself was that relates to GLaDOS (as she is a voice, that you had "killed"). Maybe a bit far-fetched, but with this amount of game references put in this riddle it might as well be. If so, it could mean that we'd need her to crack the code and see what's inside the RAR files.

I'm pretty sure the murdered voice is referring to the girl on the phonograph (who Daniel murdered). Still don't understand what "release the gaseous moist, and reach the inner web" means, though. It may be related to the RARs, but I don't think so myself.
04-09-2011, 02:05 AM
Find
Mothhive Offline

I assumed it was reffering to a Steam release of some kind.
04-09-2011, 02:12 AM
Find
Macil Offline

If its "What's her name?", then "Hazel" is Daniel's sister's name and can be added to the list of possible answers.
04-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

We need to find the aperture login in amnesia.
04-09-2011, 02:26 AM
Find