Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level Editor "Locking" question
Austums Offline

Threads: 11
Level Editor "Locking" question

So I am not sure what the exact term is, but I vaguely remember reading on the forums that maps are a lot better if you "lock" the walls together...? It might not be walls, and it might not be called locking, but I am hoping someone knows what I'm referring to and can help me out Cool
04-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Find
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Level Editor "Locking" question

Use grid snap, set it to .25 snap separation. Well, that's what I do, and for most walls it works. The only walls I have trouble with are the dungeonbase walls because the corners don't match up well. For corners, you should use welders to cover up any overlap you might have, especially for convex corners.

04-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

Do you mean grouping and compounding? Grouping is okay if you want to sort of make something into one entity, I'm not sure if you can use scripting with groups though.

I'm not sure how to compound or how it's any different. Undecided
04-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Find
Austums Offline

Threads: 11

WELDERS! That's what they're called. I have absoposilutely no idea on how they work/how to use them though, lulz.
04-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Find
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12

They are basically pillars, you put them anywhere walls don't quite fit the way you want them to. It just makes things look more fluid. Generally they are only needed on corners, but sometimes you may need to use them elsewhere.

04-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Find
Nye Offline

Threads: 8

Each set (castlebase, mansionbase, dungeonbase) etc. has their own welders. You slap them between two walls, or in corners, to make the place look better and hide weird looking corners (eg. when a corner is formed from two castle walls).

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
----------------------------||||||||||
------------------ <-Here-||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| |--------- ||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| |---------- |||||||||

^ supposed to be a corner round a bend (aerial view)

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2011, 09:57 PM by Nye.)
04-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Find
Solarn Offline

Threads: 3

Dungeonbase is really annoying though, because the walls all have stone pillars on their sides, but no two walls have the same pillar, so unless you want the walls to look like ass, you can only pair default with default, default02 with default02, default02_extension with default02_extension, default_extension with default_extension... you get the idea. Also, the stone welder that's supposed to go with these walls doesn't cover up those pillars perfectly, so you get graphical glitches when you try to use it.
04-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

Use the position and scaling boxes on the right to do minor adjustments to make the welders cover stuff properly. Just try not to scale too much; the texture scales with it unless it's a plane. And of course the walls won't go together well, they're different types of walls! Tongue
Tip for people who might not know: extension walls are used to place on top of the normal walls, to make them taller.
04-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Find