Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra Questionnaire (SPOILERS!!)
eiahmon Offline

Threads: 13
Penumbra Questionnaire (SPOILERS!!)

Penumbra Questionnaire

Beware! There are MASSIVE spoilers in this thread!

Spoiler below!

Overture

At any time during play did you...

...call Phillip an idiot for a) going to Greenland in the first place, b) wandering the wilderness with no shelter but that convenient mineshaft, or c) not bailing as soon as things started to get weird?

... cuss out the auto save when it saved at the worst possible moment?

... have to go back to an earlier save because you forgot something important?

... shout out loud for Red to shut up whenever he started yammering on at the wrong time?

... go from being annoyed by Red’s jaw flapping to welcoming it because it was the only friendly thing in the whole area?

... get stuck on a puzzle, consult an internet walkthrough, and then feel like an idiot because the answer was so damned obvious?

... wish you hadn’t turned the generator on?

... wonder if the dogs regained their health whenever they ran off screen because the one you were trying to kill just wouldn’t die?

... crouch on top of a crate or barrel with pickaxe in hand and get weird looks from family/friends/roommates as you called “Here puppy, puppy, puppy...”?

... say out loud “Hey mutt, I’m right here!” to a dog that you were hoping to kill as it walked right past you without even seeing you?

... got weird looks (and the occasional concerned sounding “Are you alright?”) from friends/family/roommates when you fell off the barrel or crate and were shouting and cussing at Phillip because he just wouldn’t jump back up there?

... wonder after running from a giant worm “What the hell am I doing here?”?

... feel physically ill and try to stop the incinerator?

... feel sorry for Red when you learn just how long he had been down there?

... feel even more sorry for Red once you learned that he had been a child when he was stranded down there?

... get steamed at least a half dozen times in the Refinery?

... try to flee from a dog and end up running right smack into it instead?

...accidentally set yourself on fire during the spider chase?

(If you played Amnesia: The Dark Descent first...)
... walk into the Refinery and think: “This isn’t the Refinery.”?

... deliberately blow yourself up with the explosive just for laughs?

... jump down in those large crevices towards the end just for kicks?

Black Plague

... wonder who's nightmare inspired that weird ass dream sequence thing?

... chuckle the first time you saw an Infected?

... find the voice of the Infected humorous?

... laugh hysterically when you died during a tense moment?

... think sarcastically that the Archaic sounded like a great company to work for?

... grin like a maniac even as you were trying to stay alive because you were having such a good time?

... chuckle at some of the things that Clarence said, even as you imagined yourself wrapping your fingers around his throat and squeezing?

... let out a screech/shriek/scream when the body damn near fell on your head while climbing the scaffolding?

... freeze to death while wandering around outside?

... at any point, say something to the effect of: "Oh you've got to be kidding me!" upon seeing what diabolical hoops you were going to have to jump through to get what you needed?

... after jumping through said hoops have to take a minute to let your hands stop shaking?

... spend a few minutes just staring in mute horror at Amabel?

... give Clarence multiple death threats? Bonus points if you said them out loud.

(If you plays The Sims, Minecraft, or any other game that allows you to build stuff from the ground up)
... start thinking of what you would need to do to build the Shelter in your chosen game?

Requiem

... accidentally crush yourself under the giant block crusher?

... accidentally fall in the water during the Sewer level and felt surprised that you could swim?

... wonder who among the gang at Frictional is the Donkey Kong fan?

... have the physics go completely wonky at random moments, which caused all sorts of weird stuff to happen?

... eagerly wait for the PA system to start up again, just so you could hear what kind of weird things it was going to spout off?

(If you played Amnesia: The Dark Descent)
... think that Alexander was talking to you at a certain point?

... have to remind yourself on multiple occasions (if you already knew ahead of time) that there were no monsters in the game?

... when it was all said and done, sit back and ponder how it felt like a lifetime ago that you started it all back in Overture?

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2011, 01:48 PM by Yuhaney.)
04-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

RE: Penumbra Questionnaire (SPOILERS!!)

Penumbra Questionnaire

Just for Overture for now. I’ll add questions for Black Plague and Requiem as I play them. Though if anyone wants to go ahead and do that, be my guest. Wink

Spoiler below!

...call Phillip an idiot for a) going to Greenland in the first place, b) wandering the wilderness with no shelter but that convenient mineshaft, or c) not bailing as soon as things started to get weird?

A) No
B) Yes
C) Yes

Yes

Yes

... shout out loud for Red to shut up whenever he started yammering on at the wrong time?

Practically

... go from being annoyed by Red’s jaw flapping to welcoming it because it was the only friendly thing in the whole area?

More or less

... get stuck on a puzzle, consult an internet walkthrough, and then feel like an idiot because the answer was so damned obvious?

Not to find the answer persay..but to apply it correctly, and no.

No

... wonder if the dogs regained their health whenever they ran off screen because the one you were trying to kill just wouldn’t die?

Yes

... crouch on top of a crate or barrel with pickaxe in hand and get weird looks from family/friends/roommates as you called “Here puppy, puppy, puppy...”?

Hahaha, no.

... say out loud “Hey mutt, I’m right here!” to a dog that you were hoping to kill as it walked right past you without even seeing you?

No. I just shined a flashlight in it's face and jumped up and down.

... got weird looks (and the occasional concerned sounding “Are you alright?”) from friends/family/roommates when you fell off the barrel or crate and were shouting and cussing at Phillip because he just wouldn’t jump back up there?

No, but the falling off and not getting back up did happen to me and it was very stressful.

No

Ill, yes. Stop it? No.

Yes...

... feel even more sorry for Red once you learned that he had been a child when he was stranded down there?

Yes...very much. Sad

Yes! But I still loved that part! Smile

No, but it did catch up and kill me.

Yes! Tongue

Yes Tongue

No

No
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2011, 01:46 PM by Yuhaney.)
04-07-2011, 04:46 AM
Find
eiahmon Offline

Okay, now that I'm not dead on my feet, I can't answer my own questions. XD

Spoiler below!

a) Not an idiot, but I did call him crazy.
b) Yes
c) Yes

Yes, during the spider chase, it saved when I had about four them right behind me. I always died within a couple seconds of respawning. I ended up having to go back to an earlier save.

Forgot the bolt cutters.

During the spider chase

Yep

Not really a puzzle, but I'm still irritated at the one grate at the end of the Refinery, which was the only grate that functioned like a normal door

Sometimes

Yeah, when it took eight hits to the head with the pickaxe to take one of them down.

I did that, but didn't get any weird looks.

Yup, a couple times.

My dad told me that my "Get back up there!" came out as a demonic sounding growl.

No.

Gods yes. Not even Amnesia at it's worst managed to make me feel as horrified as I did when Red started screaming. It doesn't help that I consider burning to death the worst death imaginable. That was cruel, Frictional.

Very much so.

I wished so badly that I could have gotten him out of there. I also wanted to give him a hug.Sad

Nope. Big Grin Only four times.

Managed to avoid that one this time around.

Haha, yes.

Yup

I was too busy blowing myself up accidentally to do that.

Now that I did do. Big Grin

04-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Find
Tintin Offline

Threads: 4

Penumbra Questionnaire

Just for Overture for now. I’ll add questions for Black Plague and Requiem as I play them. Though if anyone wants to go ahead and do that, be my guest. Wink

Spoiler below!

A) Yes
B) Yes
C) Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes, I enjoyed his banter but sometimes he spoke crucial information when I was running from the wolves etc.

I was never annoyed by Red's banter but I did welcome it as the only friendly presence.

No, often the answer wasn't pretty left-field (not obvious at all).

No

No. Just thought they took a lot to kill.

No

No, but I would sometimes jump up and down loudly to get their attention. Most of the time they saw me quickly though.

No, but I scared myself quite a few times in those situations.

No

No, but it was definitely one of the most disturbing moments I've experienced within a game. A real moral conundrum.

Yes, absolutely.

Yes

Yes, and then some. Hated that part. So annoying.

No

Yes

N/A

No

No
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2011, 01:47 PM by Yuhaney.)
04-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Find
eiahmon Offline

I just finished Black Plague yesterday, and I blew through Requiem earlier today (What a ride! XD), so questions for those two are now up. Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2011, 10:05 AM by eiahmon.)
04-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Use spoiler tags. Takes too much space.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2011, 12:29 PM by Yuhaney.)
04-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Website Find
eiahmon Offline

(04-18-2011, 12:29 PM)Scraper Wrote: Use spoiler tags. Takes too much space.

No prob. Sorry about that. Smile

04-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Spoiler below!

Black Plague

Nope

Nope, in fact, it went like this. *Pick up syringe*...*door opens down the hallway* "Is someone there?"...O.O.................................*hide, hide, hide!!!"..."He's IN the room!!!"...*waiting, waiting, waiting*..."Oh no, it's back!!!..."..."oh my God, he has a flashlight!"...he finally leaves...*save and exit for a couple hours before coming back* Tongue

Intimidating the first time I played through..going back and playing though, yes. "Something isn't right..." "Noise..." Tongue

Nope

... think sarcastically that the Archaic sounded like a great company to work for?

Yes

... grin like a maniac even as you were trying to stay alive because you were having such a good time?

??? I don't know.

... chuckle at some of the things that Clarence said, even as you imagined yourself wrapping your fingers around his throat and squeezing?

Yeah

... let out a screech/shriek/scream when the body damn near fell on your head while climbing the scaffolding?

No

No

... at any point, say something to the effect of: "Oh you've got to be kidding me!" upon seeing what diabolical hoops you were going to have to jump through to get what you needed?

Yes

... after jumping through said hoops have to take a minute to let your hands stop shaking?

Nope

That part made me want to cry. Sad

... give Clarence multiple death threats? Bonus points if you said them out loud.

Yes, no

(If you plays The Sims, Minecraft, or any other game that allows you to build stuff from the ground up)
... start thinking of what you would need to do to build the Shelter in your chosen game?

N/A

04-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Find
Tintin Offline

Threads: 4

Spoiler below!

Black Plague

Not really. I suspected it was influenced by Lovecraft's stories.

No, I screamed, ran away and hid for a long time.

No, again, I found the voices creepy.

Sometimes.

No, not really. It's a great title though.

No, not really. I was freaking out much of the time (then I played Amnesia).

Yes, absolutely. He was horrible but very interesting and quite funny at times.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

No, I couldn't tell because my whole body was shaking.

Not a few minutes but I was definitely horrified at what happened and felt really sorry for her. I like Amabel as a character.

Yes, of course.

N/A

Requiem

Yes, but not the first time I played (only after I died).

... accidentally fall in the water during the Sewer level and felt surprised that you could swim?
No.

No.

... have the physics go completely wonky at random moments, which caused all sorts of weird stuff to happen?
No.

... eagerly wait for the PA system to start up again, just so you could hear what kind of weird things it was going to spout off?
Not really. I just focused on wanting to stay alive.

Yes.

... have to remind yourself on multiple occasions (if you already knew ahead of time) that there were no monsters in the game?
I don't know what you're talking about, there were monsters.

... when it was all said and done, sit back and ponder how it felt like a lifetime ago that you started it all back in Overture?
No, not really.

04-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Find
eiahmon Offline

Got a minute to post these, and then I'm going to bed. Long day tomorrow. *yawn* Goodnight everybody.

Spoiler below!

Black Plague

Oh yeah.

Yeah, I found the white skinned ones kinda funny looking. The darker ones however...

Running right in front of one to escape the room, and it calls out "You there!" and I just started laughing.

Sometimes.

Especially after I checked out the orientation disk. And I thought my company was bad...

Yes!

A couple of times, yes.

Sadly, I did. And I pride myself on being hard to startle, so it'll be a while before I live that one down.

Narrowly managed to avoid that one.

When I saw the lights in the kennels.

Especially once I realized I was going to have to do it again.

Yes. Sad

Yes, after what happened to poor Amabel, and bonus.

Haha, yes. The library is what got me thinking about that, since it's such a cool room. If I do build The Shelter, I'll likely have to split it into multiple lots, but since you can go between lots with no loading screen on Sims 3, that shouldn't be a problem. I need to go check into making custom wallpapers...

Requiem

Yes! Gods, I felt like such an idiot, cause I knew it was there and what it was for.

Well since falling in water in Overture killed you instantly, and I never tried it in Black Plague, I just assumed that I would drown. So I missed my step, fell in, and was shocked when I didn't die.

Yes. So who is it guys? Hmmmm?

You have NO idea! I had stuff stick to walls, and continue to stick there after I let go and stepped back. I'd grab something and go to push it forward and end up sliding sideways, even though I was pressing the W key. My personal favorite though happened during the water level, when I was swimming and I grabbed a floating crate and barely tapped the W key to gently nudge it forward, and I literally ZOOMED across the room! It was hilarious.

*nod,nod* My fave was when Dr. Eminiss announced that he was staying and the PA system said "Oh god, no.".

Where is this memory hiding!

Especially when the splash in the water in the Sewer level gave me Amnesia flashbacks. XD The giant worm swimming by also startled the hell out of me. There were a couple of other times as well.

It fel like ages since I had started that wild ride, but it was all worth it. I'm glad I decided to give Penumbra a chance.

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2011, 09:48 AM by eiahmon.)
04-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Find