Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to write readable threads
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65
How to write readable threads

Well, I've seen quite a few threads in which I could not understand the problem they were created to solve.

Here come a few recommendations:

-Instead of using[code-] blocks to write your code in, use [php]. PHP is an object oriented language and with the tags it will use syntax highlighting in your code and make it a lot easier to read.

-You can't insert tabs here. Well, that's no problem, just insert 4 spaces. 4 spaces is "defined" to be the regular indenting when coding. You shouldn't use TAB to create indentation not even in your code because different editors will have different notions of how much to indent with TAB.

-Give as much information as you can. If you have a problem, don't assume that the others had it and know what you are talking about. Post logs(use [code-] tags for that)/scripts. If you don't want to give away your script and have a problem in it, don't bother to post. Ask someone you trust to fix it or someone else via PM.

-New Prefixes have been added to place in your thread upon creation. Use them so you can direct the right people to the right threads. You can't expect a modeler to answer a scripting question, so don't bother asking them to(a modeler will click a thread without prefix but won't click athread with prefix [SCRIPT]).

-Give your thread a structure, writting something like:

Hey, I hav a problem :D

I need help...my editor is wrong and i don't change it's resolution.

hope u can help
Honestly, when I see such a thread I just press BACKSPACE. Even if your english isn't the best, make your text structured.Introduce the problem, and describe it. Example:

I have problem.
I don't change level editor resolution. It is to small.
Sorry for bad english.

-Posting without searching before is a boring factor for the helpers. They will just get tired of repeating the same thing and quit helping. Help yourselves and the community and make use of the function search.

-Respect the others. You don't know them from anywhere, so don't act like you do. Informality is prefered, but that doesn't mean you can insult others(that kind of insult you say when you're playing around with your friends).

-Creating threads or replying for the sake of it is just stupid. While most people keep thinking it's a good thing to have 50 posts with CRAP in your thread, it's not. If you think a thread is worth replying to, make sure you say something usefull. That improves not only the community but your reputation.

-Topic titles are extremely important. Make them as small as possible but make sure the subject of the topic can be deduced from the title. Don't use titles like: "Problem", "help me", "I need help FAST!!!!". Doing so will just send people away from your threads.

If you think I missed something, please reply with it just like My Computer did.

Thanks for reading this. I create this with only one objective: to improve this community.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2011, 01:09 AM by nemesis567.)
10-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Find
Patacorow Offline

Threads: 11
RE: How to write readable threads

You're helping us on how to get help.

thread of the year 2011
10-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

...^^ :p

10-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Add this to the list: Topic titles are important.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
10-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Website Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

sO ar3 ü gUY5 z4yin6 d4T mY 3nkl1s iS bäd 0r wu7?

Sorry, I just had to do it. Tongue

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2011, 02:45 PM by Yuhaney.)
10-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Website Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

(10-27-2011, 07:54 PM)Patacorow Wrote: You're helping us on how to get help.

thread of the year 2011
Something like that.

It may also remove the status of "noob" attributed to the creators of noobish unorganized topics Tongue.
(Just kiddin ofc)

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2011, 01:13 AM by nemesis567.)
10-29-2011, 01:13 AM
Find