Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Marwick Farm -- WIP -- a few screens
genmills Offline

Threads: 7
Marwick Farm -- WIP -- a few screens

Hi guys, some of you have seen me posting on the forums demonstrating my absurd lack of knowledge on scripting, modeling, etc. Big Grin

So first off, thanks so much to everyone helping! I will probably call on you much more before I finish my story!

Ok, on to the good stuff... Here is a little preview of what's to come in my custom story, Marwick Farm.

Description:
Spoiler below!

You are William Middleton. After the death of your great uncle, Eli Marwick, you have been asked to manage his farm on behalf of your widowed great aunt Elizabeth. You set out for the estate, and after several days of travel, you arrive at a small town. Though it is already evening, you decide to press on and rest once you reach the farm...

Here are just a couple Screenshots. I made the skybox myself as well.
Spoiler below!

.jpg   Screen_Screenshot_006.jpg (Size: 415.35 KB / Downloads: 197)

Spoiler below!

.jpg   Screen_Screenshot_007.jpg (Size: 411.1 KB / Downloads: 190)

Spoiler below!

.jpg   Screen_Screenshot_008.jpg (Size: 382.24 KB / Downloads: 179)

Spoiler below!

.jpg   Screen_Screenshot_010_2.jpg (Size: 189.64 KB / Downloads: 208)

My goal is to create something so fresh, that players won't know what they can and cannot expect, making the game much scarier to play! That's why I am choosing not to reveal too much at this point.

Features:
Large outdoor map(s)
Custom models/Altered models/creative uses of existing models
Intriguing storyline
All original music--composed and professionally recorded by me!

(on an side note, you can check out a lot of my music stuffs at youtube.com/genmills Am I allowed to shamelessly promote myself? Big Grin)

Voice acting
Fun and creative puzzles
As with any custom story, new scares!
No glitching surfaces! (I hate when those happen. Come on people, just move your objects .001 over! Smile)

And most importantly in my opinion... secrets passages/chambers/compartments! Can't get enough of those! (Don't worry, there really aren't that many haha)

Sorry, that's all for now. I don't have a completion date in mind. It depends on how much time I have. It's probably considerably slower because I am learning everything about this as I go. Honestly, the story seems like it will only be 15-20 mins, but I really want to extend it, so I'm working on that. Another thing I was wondering about is how well people can run the really large outdoor map. I built my computer so that it can basically stand up to anything, so I don't really know how it will do on other ones...

Anyway, I hope this wets your appetites! I will post updates in this thread, and probably the final release as well. I'll try to clearly mark the updates so you know if there is something new.

I'd love to hear any comments/ideas/etc.

Thanks!
04-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Marwick Farm -- WIP -- a few screens

Take your time and make it polished as much as you want. I'm working for 4 months now, first 1.5 months gone to learning good design Tongue

Outdoor environments seems to good with those pitch dark skybox Big Grin

04-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Website Find
Poppuhik42 Offline

Threads: 1

-----
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2012, 10:34 PM by Poppuhik42.)
04-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13

Seems very promising!

And I am going to have to second your thoughts on no glitching surfaces! That can ruin a custom story's atmosphere far more than it can help, so I'm glad to know you'll be doing your best to not have any of that nonsense!

I especially like that last screenshot, the houses look great. Maybe the light coming from the left house is a 'little' too bright, but it's almost artisticly so, so I rather like it to be honest. :]

Good luck in production!

04-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Find
skypeskype Offline

Threads: 6

Looks awsome. Maybe you will need some beta testers ? Big Grin
04-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Website Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

Love the shots of the dirt road! Big Grin
04-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Find
genmills Offline

(04-30-2011, 07:13 PM)skypeskype Wrote: Looks awsome. Maybe you will need some beta testers ? Big Grin

Thanks! Now that you mention it, I probably will complete my story to where I would consider it release worthy, but I will let a few people try it first and see if they have last minute suggestions for improvement. I don't anticipate many glitches (I keep a lot of things straight forward in my level design/scripting). The biggest thing I'm worried about is people falling through the world because they hit a tree the wrong way! Big Grin

I'll let you know when I'm ready for you to try it. Smile
05-01-2011, 07:27 AM
Find
Ghostflame Offline

Threads: 0

Well yeah, I'm going to have to stick with everyone else's opinion on this one, not enough outdoor stories. I can see why, so glitchy the ones I have played, so best of luck, if I fall through the floor I slap you. Tongue
05-02-2011, 04:46 AM
Find
Henriksen Offline

Threads: 71

Oh snap this is gonna be so awesome Big Grin
I looked at your youtube account and you look like HARDCORE GUITAR PLAYING AWESOME GANGSTER.

Cant wait for the story to come out Smile
(05-01-2011, 07:27 AM)genmills Wrote:
(04-30-2011, 07:13 PM)skypeskype Wrote: Looks awsome. Maybe you will need some beta testers ? Big Grin

Thanks! Now that you mention it, I probably will complete my story to where I would consider it release worthy, but I will let a few people try it first and see if they have last minute suggestions for improvement. I don't anticipate many glitches (I keep a lot of things straight forward in my level design/scripting). The biggest thing I'm worried about is people falling through the world because they hit a tree the wrong way! Big Grin

I'll let you know when I'm ready for you to try it. Smile

Do so the player dont collide with the trees then make block boxes around or wtf its called Smile
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2011, 04:58 AM by Henriksen.)
05-02-2011, 04:57 AM
Find
genmills Offline

(05-02-2011, 04:57 AM)teddifisk Wrote: Oh snap this is gonna be so awesome Big Grin
I looked at your youtube account and you look like HARDCORE GUITAR PLAYING AWESOME GANGSTER.

Cant wait for the story to come out Smile

Do so the player dont collide with the trees then make block boxes around or wtf its called Smile

Thanks! Glad you liked my channel, haha. I think I saw someone else use that trick for trees, so I'll have to give it a try. In just the past two days I've learned a ton of things about scripting and made some major progress on my map. Since I'm finishing finals this week, maybe I'll be able to devote some serious time to finishing this map. I'll edit my original post when I have some major updates, though.
05-02-2011, 05:59 AM
Find