Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

A discovery about Amnesia's sound design
SaltTheFries Offline

Threads: 1
A discovery about Amnesia's sound design

Hello, I'm new to the forums, I've anxiously signed up here to share my random discovery:

Unless the artist I'm talking about sampled his sources from elsewhere, I know where Amnesia: The Dark Descent got some chunk of its music from, it's from The Caretaker's (he's a dark ambient artist) 1999 album Selected Memories From the Haunted Ballroom and specificially from the track called From Out of Nowhere. The resemblance is eerily uncanny! Check it out yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2p_JVbH0HY

I might be mistaking it for something else, it's been a couple of months since I've finished Amnesia, but do you think it's a likely source of inspiration? Not necessarily that low-pitched demon voice (actually not at all), but that ghostly female choir that occurs at 0:33 for the first time and the track's overall ambience.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2011, 04:38 PM by SaltTheFries.)
05-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Find
Matthias Steel Offline

Threads: 9
RE: A discovery about Amnesia's sound design

(05-05-2011, 04:16 PM)SaltTheFries Wrote: Hello, I'm new to the forums, I've anxiously signed up here to share my random discovery:

Unless the artist I'm talking about sampled his sources from elsewhere, I know where Amnesia: The Dark Descent got some chunk of its music from, it's from The Caretaker's (he's a dark ambient artist) 1999 album Selected Memories From the Haunted Ballroom and specificially from the track called From Out of Nowhere. The resemblance is eerily uncanny! Check it out yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2p_JVbH0HY

I might be mistaking it for something else, it's been a couple of months since I've finished Amnesia, but do you think it's a likely source of inspiration? Not necessarily that low-pitched demon voice (actually not at all), but that ghostly female choir that occurs at 0:33 for the first time and the track's overall ambience.

very creepy track, doesn't sound much like anything from Amnesia though.

"He rides the wind on silent wings lazerbeams ripping steel, Black helicopters go up in flames before they know that he's real"
05-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

Doesn't sound like anything from Amnesia to me. Was there any particular track from Amnesia you were thinking of?
05-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

It sounds like one of the tracks, not sure what its called though. Hope you get an answer from Mikko Tongue

05-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Find
Fomzo Offline

Threads: 13

Did you call yourself SaltTheFries because you like them??? If so, you're my friend already, I LOOOOOOOOVE friesBig Grin
05-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Find
SaltTheFries Offline

I love them too, but I named myself after System Shock 1's meme Wink That's pretty much my nickname everywhere.
05-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Find
Frost Offline

Threads: 8

Ambiance 23? In the program files, "23_amb02" specifically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfHLkyPowQI
05-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Find
SaltTheFries Offline

That's exactly what I meant!
05-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Find