Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Ideas for gameplay improvement
Rellik428 Offline

Threads: 1
Ideas for gameplay improvement

Ok, I take into full consideration that Frictional games is an indie game developer

Idea one - 3D realistic sound engine, I personally think the game would be even more terrifying if this could be implemented. Like, if the monster is chasing you, you can literally here it's footsteps coming from behind you.

Idea two - Ok this idea I understand would be very hard to add but oh well. Some sort of microphone addon that: If you (yourself) make noise the monster is drawn to you, making hiding a lot more scary.

Idea three - Just a general AI update, I have had many moments where I have managed to avoid monsters simply because they are so thick. For instance the part of the game in the bedroom where you need to hide in the closet while the monster patrols the room, I kept walking out of the closet getting the monster's attention then just going back in the closet and it was almost oblivious and continued to walk out the room. Also when you carry boxes really closely in front you, you're almost invisible to the monster, which I find kind of silly.
Just wanna say, I do absolutely love this game. One of the best horror games I have ever played!
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2011, 06:43 PM by Rellik428.)
05-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Find
XboxMySocks Offline

RE: Ideas for gameplay improvement

Your first suggestion, while cannot be provided by an engine, is an existing technique called 'Binaural Recording' which as far as I know, was already implemented in Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I know with my headphones, I could hear where the monster was exactly in relation to me. Sorry to revive such an old topic
08-06-2011, 01:29 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I really like that mic idea, it would make the game WAY more intense and would put frictional that much further ahead of competition. It would be hard to pull off though since a lot of computers don't have mics

Posting Freak
08-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Website Find
XboxMySocks Offline

(08-06-2011, 06:19 AM)kman Wrote: I really like that mic idea, it would make the game WAY more intense and would put frictional that much further ahead of competition. It would be hard to pull off though since a lot of computers don't have mics

I beg to differ, most if not all computers now-a-days with mics & or webcams (fuck, my laptop from '03 shipped with one...) so really I don't think that'll be much of an issue. And of course it will always be an option.
08-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Find
NyteMyre Offline

Threads: 5

A random idea i had was that instead of a lantern, you hold a candle (unlimited use or at least longer then the lantern). And when you want to use your candle, you have to use a tinderbox on it. When you dont want to use it, you blow it out (and thus you need a tinderbox to light it again).
08-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-07-2011, 09:40 PM)NyteMyre Wrote: A random idea i had was that instead of a lantern, you hold a candle (unlimited use or at least longer then the lantern). And when you want to use your candle, you have to use a tinderbox on it. When you dont want to use it, you blow it out (and thus you need a tinderbox to light it again).

that's actually a pretty good idea! then they could implement things like windy areas that blew it out or puzzles where you had to set things on fire.

Posting Freak
08-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Website Find