Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Functions - Game Engine Capabilities
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65
Functions - Game Engine Capabilities

I'm wondering if some functions exist, because I can't find them.

So, tell me if they exist:

-Create a static object/Area Via Script;
-Disconnect a body from a rope/CXonnect a body to a rope;
-Change a determined entity model Via script;

Now I'd like to know if the game engine allows the following procedures:

-Create a friendly NPC;
-Create a new lantern type item(without replacing lantern nor messing up with the sys files)
-Create a moveable object(And object that moves as specified in the script with the speed specified in the script, in the direction specified in the script);

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
05-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Functions - Game Engine Capabilities

- You can set entities' state as static if they are not already static objects via functions: SetPropStaticPhysics("entity_name", false);
- Open Justine's first map. (InteractConnectPropWithMoveObject)
- SetEntityActive function comes handy in every situation. You can turn a mouse into an elephant

- Friendly NPC? You mean like Agrippa? Or a friendly Grunt who would give you a real hug. Grunt: no, Agrippa: yes
- Check out Flashlight topic and my posts about full conversion. Different lantern type objects at the same moment is not allowed.
- You can create many types of object. Check out my elevator gameplay to see if that's what you want.

Seriously, mess with ModelEditor and functions. Engine is capable of much more than we can imagine.

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2011, 09:52 AM by Tanshaydar.)
05-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Website Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

So:

Create a static object- Can't be done.
EDIT: maybe it can but without efficiency since it has to stream the entity first, but maybe by creating an entity and turning it into static.
Friendly NPC - Can't be done(Agrippa is not an NPC(Non Player Character) since it doesn't even move). But this makes me ask the question, how do you make the rats to be friendly?

"- Open Justine's first map. (InteractConnectPropWithMoveObject)"

Let's suppose I have a box and a rope. Do I need to Place the Box in the rope entity EndBody TextBox? How exactly do I do that.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2011, 02:05 PM by nemesis567.)
05-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

(05-20-2011, 02:00 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: Create a static object- Can't be done.

It can be done:
void CreateEntityAtArea(string& asEntityName, string& asEntityFile, string& asAreaName, bool abFullGameSave);
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2011, 02:57 PM by Apjjm.)
05-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

(05-20-2011, 02:00 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: So:

Create a static object- Can't be done.
EDIT: maybe it can but without efficiency since it has to stream the entity first, but maybe by creating an entity and turning it into static.
Friendly NPC - Can't be done(Agrippa is not an NPC(Non Player Character) since it doesn't even move). But this makes me ask the question, how do you make the rats to be friendly?

"- Open Justine's first map. (InteractConnectPropWithMoveObject)"

Let's suppose I have a box and a rope. Do I need to Place the Box in the rope entity EndBody TextBox? How exactly do I do that.

-Static objects, there are multiple solutions for what you are asking. Putting an object and deactivating it in editor, then activating it from script in game is a solution too.
-Agrippa moves his head to you.
-Critters are not NPC, but if you want you can create new critters in Model Editor.
-Are you asking for engine capabilities or how to's? (Yes, endbody, with an rope end posnode)

Engine is not a person that will do everything you ask, it's just an engine. You have to learn the tricks how to control it to make everything you want to do. Even if it's limited compared to Source or other popular engines, it still lets you to do many things.

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2011, 03:03 PM by Tanshaydar.)
05-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Website Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Source engine is limited too, but VHE makes it easy to work on.

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2011, 05:14 PM by nemesis567.)
05-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Every engine has its limits, nothing is unlimited except Palpatine Smile
Attacking spiders? Critters don't attack you, this, if you are talking about HPL2.
Though, I haven't seen anyone using critter_spider in their custom stories to clarify them as non-attackers.

05-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Website Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Edited...-.....

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2011, 05:13 PM by nemesis567.)
05-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Wow, I'd use them Big Grin
Other critters don't attack.

05-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Website Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

I'm using them, but I'd like to have some custom ones.

05-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Find