Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Chief translator Howard LaFresque (Spoilers)
Lawfer Offline

Threads: 3
Chief translator Howard LaFresque (Spoilers)

Well at the end you see a list of name of the most affluent people working at the shelter. And the name Howard LaFresque comes up, which is obviously the father of Philippe the main character.

I see that he served as a Chief Translator, but what would be the purpose in serving this position down there? Were most of the "workers" not affluent in english? Judging by Red final words in his diary, I would think not, but I might be wrong. Because he says that at least he will be able to send money at home, but who would come down all this way to do this kind of "work"?

Oh I am not sure but I remmenbered about reading something about the "workers" being from Denmark. So I assume the workers were speaking Danish and Howard LaFresque was being the translator.

Any thoughts on this?
04-05-2007, 12:47 AM
Find
Warzone Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Chief translator Howard LaFresque (Spoilers)

Actually, considering the somewhat supernatural/alien nature of the artifacts and the monsters, I'd say he'd been deciphering some sort of weird language.

Like the one in the book in the intro, the one that top linguists in London couldn't even begin to comprehend...
04-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Find
Willbreaker Offline

Threads: 6

How come you are certain that Philips surname is LaFresque?

/Breaker
04-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Find
Lawfer Offline

Willbreaker Wrote:How come you are certain that Philips surname is LaFresque?

/Breaker

Hum why not? Usually it's the father last name who takes over lol
04-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Find
Willbreaker Offline

Lawfer, please, don't take me for an idiot.
Of course I know that a fathers name is oftentimes the name that you get. But how do you know Philips surname is LaFresque? Please, answer the question now and not some stupid comment.

/Breaker
04-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Find
Jetsetlemming Offline

Threads: 5

It would kinda dumb to mention a Howard and not be talking about the Howard earlier discussed without giving some kind of sign that it really WASN'T THAT Howard you're talking about. It would be like if the Penumbra narrative randomly changed over between levels to some other guy trapped in a mine/bunker in Greenland named Philip without telling the character. Tongue
04-07-2007, 02:35 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

Actually, perhaps there's a secret methord to deciphor the names. They woudn't be using their real names likely. Since this is all 'hush hush' material and such. o_O

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
04-07-2007, 04:46 AM
Find
-=John=- Offline

Threads: 0

I believe it's his father, as in the visions induced by the artefacts around the place his father is often mentioned, and later on the name Howard is thrown in. It's the only clue I picked up when I played anyway. Also another interesting thing is that Howard is still alive according to the staff sheet you pick up when you go to the final area. It was last updated in 2000, I'm not sure which year Penumbra is set in but I don't remember seeing any date later than 2001.

It could be that Howard is still alive and is a member of the cult that captures Phillip at the end (this is speculation, but I can't really think of any other scenario that makes sense). Perhaps in future episodes we will even meet him assuming he's alive
04-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Find
Willbreaker Offline

-=John=- Wrote:It could be that Howard is still alive and is a member of the cult that captures Phillip at the end (this is speculation, but I can't really think of any other scenario that makes sense). Perhaps in future episodes we will even meet him assuming he's alive

Of course he is a cult member. He is a high caste with the position of chief translator! Evidence for this theory? The last note.

/Breaker
04-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Find
Lawfer Offline

Well I am not sure the word Cult is the best word to describe what those 58 peoples are unto, but you get the idea. They kinda built there own hierarchy down there and there own beliefs. Some of the papers that you can read, shows that with unsual sentences such as for example "The higher monarch won't be content with our findings"

And how I know philip last name is LaFresque? Well I do not, but really how many Howards are in the game? If someone would tell me that the name of your father is LaFresque, anybody would assume that your last name is LaFresque as well. And calm down your attitude.

Yes for sure Howard is still alive in the shelter most probably, after all he's the main reason that bringed philip there. But the reason is why? On that point we can only really speculate, that is... until part 2 comes out ^^
04-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Find