Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Do you support Quebec's independence?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I'm Québécois and I support independence
7.69%
1 7.69%
I'm Québécois and I'm against independence
0%
0 0%
I'm Québécois and I'm neutral
0%
0 0%
I'm Canadian and I support independence
0%
0 0%
I'm Canadian and I'm against independence
7.69%
1 7.69%
I'm Canadian and I'm neutral
0%
0 0%
I'm neither and I support independence
7.69%
1 7.69%
I'm neither and I'm against independence
30.77%
4 30.77%
I'm neither and I'm neutral
46.15%
6 46.15%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Quebec Independence Movement
samusaran253 Offline

Threads: 18
Quebec Independence Movement

Most of you have probably heard about Quebec nationalism at some point in your life, even if you aren't Canadian. This is the first thread of a collection of threads I will post at some point in the future regarding separatist movements around the world. So, I have spent quite some time researching the Quebec independence movement, as well as other movements. Canada has had several referendums asking the people if they think Quebec should become independent, and every time the majority of the people have said no. Personally I am against the independence movement, since the facts simply don't support Quebec's movement, and they wouldn't be self-sufficient. I do however recognize that the culture of Quebec is different from that of the rest of Canada.

Arguments for Independence
* In Quebec the official language is French, whereas the rest of Canada speaks English
* The goals and policies of the rest of Canada do not necessarily always align with those of Quebec
* Quebec's French culture is dying and arguably without independence or autonomy, it will eventually become like the rest of Canada
* Many separatists in Quebec feel as though the Canadian government didn't live up to it's promise for a new constitution in 1970
* Some websites recognize Quebec's distinct cultural differences from Canada, such as how Yahoo! has both Canadian and Quebecker Yahoo! Answers websites

Arguments Against Independence
* Quebec already maintains a degree of autonomy as a province of Canada
* The French language is dying out in Quebec and being replaced with English
* The withdrawal of Quebec from Canada could significantly hinder Canada's political, economic, and military strength
* The majority of the population of Quebec don't support independence or autonomy
* Terrorism committed by pro-independence guerrilla factions drives people away from supporting Quebec sovereignty
* If Quebec became independent, it would create a barrier in the middle of Canada, separating Eastern Canada and Western Canada
* It is questionable whether or not Quebec could be economically self-sufficient without the aid of Canada
* Quebec has no pre-existing constitution or framework for government
* Quebec is made up of many different ethnic groups, and an independent French-speaking Quebec could easily abuse minorities
* Historically speaking, the former French government of Quebec often ignored, suppressed, and mistreated the aboriginal population
* Many of the leaders of the separatist movement are discriminatory against the aboriginal population, including the former leader of Quebec, Robert Bourassa
* Many aboriginal tribes in Canada have expressed concerns regarding Quebec sovereignty, and some have even threatened to leave the confederacy
* The ideas on how an independent Quebec should be governed are very different, with many different parties and organizations, each with different ideological idea on what the future of Quebec should be. Many of the groups are far-left communist groups, while others are center-right and far right..

General Information
Proposed State: Quebec
Proposed Capital: Quebec City
Today Part of: Canada (Quebec)
Government: various
Population: 7,970,672 (5.63 /km2 density)
Land: 1,365,128 km2 land + 176,928 km2 water
GDP: C$303,747 billion (C$37,278 per capita)
Language: French
Culture: Canadian, French
Religion: Catholic
Denonym: Québécois, Quebecers/Quebeckers

Political Parties
Parti Québécois
Bloc Québécois
Action démocratique du Québec
Québec solidaire
Parti république du Québec (defunct)
Parti républicain du Québec (defunct)
Parti nationaliste du Québec (defunct)
Ralliement national (defunct)
Mouvement Souveraineté-Association (defunct)
Parti indépendantiste (defunct)
Parti indépendantiste of 1985 (defunct)
Parti canadien (defunct)
Parti canadien of 1942 (defunct)

Paramilitary Organizations
Mouvement de libération nationale du Québec
Société des Fils de la Liberté (defunct)
Front de libération du Québec (defunct)
Frères chasseurs (defunct)

Other Organizations
Les Intellectuels pour la souveraineté
Réseau de Résistance du Québécois
Mouvement national des Québécoises et des Québécois
Saint-Jean-Baptiste Society
Alliance laurentienne (defunct)

Links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_sove...y_movement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_...y_movement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_nationalism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_autonomism

Flag
[Image: 400px-Flag_of_Quebec.svg.png]

Coat of Arms
[Image: 400px-Coat_of_arms_of_Qu%C3%A9bec.svg.png]

Map
[Image: 400px-Qu%C3%A9bec%2C_Canada.svg.png]

too big in size.
06-01-2011, 03:47 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2
RE: Quebec Independence Movement

You sure enjoy random off-topic subjects.
06-01-2011, 04:23 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

It's not off-topic if he's making the topic!

Anyway, thanks for this informative thread. I never even knew such a clash of opinion existed in Canada. All I ever hear is a small amount of bickering over the pros and cons health care system.

So what sort of terrorism have guerrilla groups resorted to?

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
06-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Website Find
samusaran253 Offline

(06-01-2011, 04:23 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote: You sure enjoy random off-topic subjects.

This is the off-topic forum.

too big in size.
06-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

I'm not offended, just in awe. No disrespect intended.

On-topic, I do regret that Québécois choose to cleave more closely to France, culturally, than the rest of Canada. It's only perpetuating the rift between them. And I'm not sure that there's much sentiment towards independence within the province, since Bloq de Québécois got trounced in last month's elections.
06-01-2011, 05:26 AM
Find
Xss Offline

Threads: 4

"Tabernacle de calice de sac-à-main!"

I simply voted "neutral", though if the French culture in Quebec is "dying", I think it is somewhat sad. I don't like nationalism, but I can somewhat understand the cultural perspective being myself from Basque descents: I am happy that culture and language is not being lost.
From an economic perspective, I have no idea what would be the impact if Quebec became independent.
06-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Find
samusaran253 Offline

(06-01-2011, 05:26 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote: I'm not offended, just in awe. No disrespect intended.

On-topic, I do regret that Québécois choose to cleave more closely to France, culturally, than the rest of Canada. It's only perpetuating the rift between them. And I'm not sure that there's much sentiment towards independence within the province, since Bloq de Québécois got trounced in last month's elections.

In awe? Why sir, I'm flattered.

too big in size.
06-01-2011, 06:23 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

In general, I always support independence, out of principle. That said, I know nothing about the situation in Quebec.

French Culture and French Language in Quebec dying? That indeed sounds terrible, but I find it a bit hard tro believe. Mistreatment of Native Canadians is also quite terrible, but is it certain that this mistreatment is worse than in the English speaking parts of Canada?

Anyway, I think it's pointless for Quebec to become independent if the population doesn't want it.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2011, 12:32 PM by spukrian.)
06-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

Interesting read. It would seem you invested quite a bit of time and effort in this!
06-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Find
samusaran253 Offline

(06-04-2011, 04:50 PM)gandalf91 Wrote: Interesting read. It would seem you invested quite a bit of time and effort in this!

Thanks, and I did invest quite a bit of time researching and then writing this.

too big in size.
06-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Find