Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request Tutorial for Making Models for Amnesia
Linus Ågren Offline

Threads: 58
Tutorial for Making Models for Amnesia

Well, I have searched alot but I cannot find any tutorial on how to get your models into amnesia.

I was wondering if there is one or if someone could make!
If you have a model in Maya OR 3DS Max, how do you proceed to get it into your editor?

Creator of The Dark Treasure.
06-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Tutorial for Making Models for Amnesia

Well, if your model is exported correctly, and if you know how to use Model Editor, you can use Import Mesh option to import custom models into Model Editor, then after needed settings, ready to use in game.

06-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Website Find
Linus Ågren Offline

Well, I still don't know how you fix all those other files like DDS, MAT, MSH and that.

I tried using some random files from other models and renamed them as my DAE file, but the editors just crash when I do that.

I couldn't really follow any of the tutorials on the wiki either.

06-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Website Find
Roenlond Offline

Threads: 3

From what I gathered on my simple custom model a while back, this is how you'd do it:

1. Create the texture in Photshop/Gimp - you need the nvidia dds plugin for photoshop to open and export .dds files.
2. Assign the texture(s) (.dds file) to your object inside of the editor (I used Blender in which you went into the UV Editor if I recall correctly).
3. Export as OpenCollada format (.dae)
4. Open the .dae file in the model viewer and your .mat and .msh files should be created automatically if all went well.
5. Import the mesh in the model editor and adjust it how you feel fit (additional lights, etc) and save it as .ent
6. Open the level editor and spawn your object and save the map.
7. Start or reload the game if it already is started and you should see your object if everything worked out.

If the object is pink in the model viewer and invisible elsewhere, the texture is not assigned correctly inside the editor.

Bear in mind that I'm no expert and I'm only citing from memory. It should hopefully be of some help, anyhow.

Feel free to reply if you need additional assistance and I'll try to supply just that Smile
Good luck!
06-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

If you create an entity make sure you create bodies (In the model editor, click on the gray box in the left side, then draw your box and create a body via the Body tab)

An entity without a body crashes the game.

Amnesia's static objects are in .dae format though, because they already contain collision meshes, so if you want to create a static object either find the steps to copy your model's mesh and make it a collision mesh or make it an entity (select the StaticProp option from user-defined variables) and make multiple bodies to wrap around the model.

06-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Find
Linus Ågren Offline

Okay, so I managed to get my box in-game, but the outer edges are missing. If I use a JPG file for the texture in Maya and not the DDS, it works fine o0. And I am not sure how to make the collision thingy.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2011, 06:31 PM by Linus Ågren.)
06-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Website Find
Roenlond Offline

Threads: 3

I added the collision inside the model editor, not the 3d program.
06-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Find
Linus Ågren Offline

Hmm..

Is there any specific settings you need when exporting your model, AND when saving your texture as a DDS? Because it's either that only parts of my crate gets exported, or that only the insides of it gets textured.

06-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Website Find
bigfoot Offline

Threads: 12

Ok so I created my model in blender exported as a dae file, then when I try to open it with the modelviewer, the modelviewer crashes (I haven't added any textures yet i'ts just that gray color.

Or did I just answer my own question?
07-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

Any mesh must have at least the diffuse channel as a texture, or it will crash your model viewer.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
07-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Find