Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Bill S.978 May Threatin the Ammounts of purcheses to Frictional Games
ExplosiveJar Offline

Threads: 1
Bill S.978 May Threatin the Ammounts of purcheses to Frictional Games

I am hoping that staff read this. It was a message

If you havnt heard of Bill S.978 It is a bill that stops all copy righted material from going on the internet. This means All those amnesia videos and penumbra videos go away. This will greatly conflict your sales and budget. Just like me many have found about this quite sucessful company through the power of youtube. Each famous video encourages people to purchese your products. But with it gone you may be struct down to people stumbling over it on the steam game list, and Ads on yahoo (expresion). My proposition here is to ask that in your copyrights give the players permission to upload spoilers, playthroughs, speed runs, clips, etc. If not this than atleast hire a group of very well know youtubers/Gamers that you legally allow to upload videos (this would be done by you putting in the video description all rights reserved User Video is reserved or something like that. This would show the goverment that you are allowing this specific person to upload a playthrough. But i highly reccomend the first option. Amnesia videos are still going up at this moment with everyone being able to upload ( I have my own little Lets Play Amnesia). If only a group of people were allowed than it would only go up once than when they finnish not much would happen after that. you want hundreds of people to play and post your game. Its free advertiseing. They see gameplay and think "thats not that scary" and go out and buy the game to try it. than they record there reaction and others see that to. its a circle. So please get back to me on this and tell me what you think.
07-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Bill S.978 May Threatin the Ammounts of purcheses to Frictional Games

Why did the old thread get deleted? =/

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
07-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Find
skypeskype Offline

Threads: 6

I heard about it. It's all over Youtube. I think it's complete bullshit. This will affect the gaming industry in a VERY BAD way. If only we could do something about it.... Where is Alexander when you need him? Sad
07-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Website Find
LucaP1000 Offline

Threads: 5

This guys can suck my d**k. We NEED videoclips so people can appreciate more the games. They can't do that!!! And skypeskype, yes, someone should call Alex-under in

[Image: classic-76561198012894588.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2011, 06:53 PM by LucaP1000.)
07-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Find
Oscar House Offline

Threads: 3

Have you read what the bill actually changes? Or did you just see people pouting about it on Youtube and decided to keep the wagon rolling? S.978 adds pretty much nothing to the law.

Read the bill: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext...l=s112-978

Too confusing, didn't read?
If you violate copyright by making 10 or more public performances of copyrighted material on the internet, and
-the retail value of the performances is over 2500 dollars or
-the licenses for the performances cost over 5000 dollars,
you can get jailtime or fines

[Image: 2exldzm.png]
07-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Find
laser50 Offline

Threads: 22

That law was probably made by some old guy which hates kids and games.

And if this would happen, Then im gonna get mad Sad

Current Project: [WIP] Lost Memories
Progress: 15%
CLICK FOR MY MODDB PAGE
07-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

Even if it does go into effect, game companies can simply add a clause to their terms of use that allows streaming of their "software". Game companies already have the power to desist you from putting videos of their software on the internet.

Insanity. Static.
07-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

@Oscar, I actually read that they changed the bill to the better a few days ago. This is such a relieve that not everyone is getting punishment but only the ones that makes money on things that aren't theirs. Even though I think it's the copyrighters job to regulate stuff like that and not the law, especially not in it's current way of approaching the matter.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
07-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

It's the law's 'job' to regulate the rights of copyright owners and, conversely, the free use of the public domain.

This seems to fall under much the same aspect as derivative works. If you're not making money off of someone's else's IP, nor detracting from their ability to profit off of it, you are free to create fanfics, mods, videos, etc. If you are making money off of insufficiently transformative work, the original creators should be entitled to a slice of that income.
07-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Find
Cataclysm Offline

Threads: 3

(07-09-2011, 08:39 PM)Oscar House Wrote: Have you read what the bill actually changes? Or did you just see people pouting about it on Youtube and decided to keep the wagon rolling? S.978 adds pretty much nothing to the law.

Read the bill: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext...l=s112-978

Too confusing, didn't read?
If you violate copyright by making 10 or more public performances of copyrighted material on the internet, and
-the retail value of the performances is over 2500 dollars or
-the licenses for the performances cost over 5000 dollars,
you can get jailtime or fines

100% agree, He probably read the post on Notches blog that mentioned the bill and misinterpreted what he wrote. The bill simply elaborates a bit more, and rewrites a few sentences.

If guns don't kill people, People kill people. Then toasters don't toast toast, Toast toast toast

[Image: 2b5wu9.png]

07-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Find