Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Should there be some performance drugs in Penumbra?
Somalion Offline

Threads: 11
Should there be some performance drugs in Penumbra?

I was just thinking that should Penumbra: Overture have some drugs that temporarily boost your overall performance in game (like adrenaline shots)? That would make it possible for Philip to move a little heavier objects or run faster than before (I don't suggest about making him into some kind of superhuman with them) but they would have some drawbacks like a headache (can't see as clearly for some time) or something else like that.
I think it would be a nice addition. What do you guys think?

By some strange twist of fate people around you die violently.
You always see the worst way a person can die.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2007, 09:21 PM by jonathan.)
04-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Should there some performance drugs in Penumbra?

Hmm, one thing I remember about adrenaline shots is the way they're applied...
I think the last thing Philip would like to do in his situation is sticking something he found in an abandoned mine right into his heart...

What I could imagine though would be a kind of tranquiliser (a pill that, as long as it's effect lasts, inceases the time until you give away your position when spotting an enemy. Or maybe just some alcoholic beverage ^^)

Megatron - proving that guns DO kill people since 1984
04-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Find
Somalion Offline

RE: Should there be some performance drugs in Penumbra?

I think that adrenaline can be administered to your veins. The sticking into the heart is just a last resort to keep the heart beating but normally it's administered through your veins

04-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Find
TheCollective15 Offline

Threads: 5

I like the idea, actually...it would be great to push large crates around, or maybe to shove a very large boulder around...maybe your health could be temporarily reduced, making you a more vulnerable target to enemies and/or falls that you take while under the 'influence', lol.

The only real problem I could see is some country like Germany giving the game a higher rating due to 'drug use' or something like that...although, I am not terribly familiar with the country, but from what I understand, they are particuarly strict about video game violence.

You can't kill me if I kill me first!!
04-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Somalion Wrote:I think that adrenaline can be administered to your veins. The sticking into the heart is just a last resort to keep the heart beating but normally it's administered through your veins
Oh, ok, I never saw adrenaline being used under normal circumstances.
Still, I can't imagine Philip to use it, even when it's just his veins...
Remember, he was even worried about getting tetanus when he found the saw.

04-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Find
SirRaven Offline

Threads: 0

It would not be an efficient game mechanic without breaking the realism of the game. A couple shots of adrenaline adversely affect your cardiovascular system to the degree of practically shutting down. In the course of a 6-8 hour adventure, using it three times would put philip in such a state that he'd barely be able to move.

It would be more plausible to use something like low doses of epinephrine which shouldn't be surprising to find in a cave's first aid kits. Use a couple cc's to move something just a tad too heavy or push your limits and move something really heavy. It'd be funny to have something where the body becomes dependent on the Epi and having used it too much early in the game requires you to administer constant doses throughout the game just to maintain "normal" movement.
04-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Find
Somalion Offline

That would seem to be better IF adrenaline actually has that kind of side affects. However the adrenaline is just an example of the whole concept of performance drugs.

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2007, 10:44 PM by jonathan.)
04-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Find
Sepai Offline

Threads: 10

Sorry but i'll find it farly silly using drugs you found in a mine and injecting it in a place that has tools left over from the 50's :/
04-12-2007, 04:40 AM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Sepai Wrote:Sorry but i'll find it farly silly using drugs you found in a mine and injecting it in a place that has tools left over from the 50's :/
I'd say the same about the painkillers. And the batteries Wink

04-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Find
Dark Offline

Threads: 20

would be cool
it would be cooler if there was a serious downside to it like being totaly fatigued after it worked out (running pseed is halved, attack strength is virtualy none, etc..)

[Image: elfenliednx4.jpg]
04-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Find