Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model editor Axis
Kraggdog Offline

Threads: 12
Model editor Axis

Alright so i'm importing models to be used as static mesh pieces (segments of a wall). Just to make sure, I export them all in the exact same grid co-ords in 3ds max.

However, when I get them into the model editor.. it just seems to randomly assign the axis pivot point into a different location. This means that they dont lock together in the level editor. How can I tell the software to not be lame and use the same damn pivot point for all of them? lol

A fix for this = lots of new custom models for people to use Tongue

07-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18
RE: Model editor Axis

Do you mean that you have multiple objects and they sort of center back onto the screen, with the pivot setting back to the origin? Or that the objects seem to be rotated out of position? One problem with 3ds max is that you can only have Z-up as the orientation, while this engine is Y-up.
07-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Find
Kraggdog Offline

The translation for Y and Z being up is made when I export it so that isnt a problem (plus I can just rotate it in the editor). The issue is that the pivot point moves. For all the models I have the pivot in the center.. but it moves :/ going to give it another go now
so the 0,0 in max is like 11. something off of the X axis in the model editor and 5. something off the Z axis.. the hell.
Ok, attached is an example of a convex static piece ive made. The left image is in 3DS Max, you can see that the axis i've set is some way off 0,0 now.. exporting it like this creates the axis on the right in the model editor.. its close but its not exact. It's a retarded work method and surely there is a silly reason as to why the axis is not translating correctly.
Imported the model into Maya and its the same as in the model editor. I guess I need to work maya adjustments into the workflow :/

Attached Files
.jpg   axis.jpg (Size: 99.91 KB / Downloads: 94)

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2011, 03:12 PM by Kraggdog.)
07-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Find
Kraggdog Offline

Using maya, I make the exact adjustments so that its bang on 0,0 in the editor for a model.. yes! a result.. so I move all the other models to the exact same point.. and their axis are all over the place in the editor... what..the..fuck

07-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

I've had similar problems as well, even some of my meshes would scale themselves to the center. This page is helpful, though some things are outdated since it is for HPL1: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl1/doc...ment.chap2

Perhaps freezing transformations and then setting the pivot would work?
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2011, 04:19 PM by MrBigzy.)
07-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Find
Kraggdog Offline

(07-09-2011, 04:19 PM)MrBigzy Wrote: Perhaps freezing transformations and then setting the pivot would work?

Yeah I gave that a try, had the pivots at the same base point for all of them, no luck.

The problem is that the software automatically creates a pivot point (taken from the wiki) which is incredibly inconvenient when you need several things to snap together in the editor.

I can only think that I need to make all model adjustments in maya whenever this happens. It's a pain but I don't see any other way (unless I can bypass the model viewer step).

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2011, 08:40 AM by Kraggdog.)
07-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Find