Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Metal thread \m/
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10
RE: So... who listens to death/black/trash/viking/etc. metal

(01-13-2012, 08:00 PM)vaxoxen Wrote: Eh, I'd have to disagree with you and say it's the other way around. Gojira isn't overly progressive, they often lean more to tech death, but they still have enough proggy elements to justify being classed as "prog". But I'd say BTBAM is very progressive. All their releases since Colors have focused far more on prog than the metalcore they did previously. I'm not a fan of their metalcore roots, so I tend to only listen to their new stuff. But yeah, they are definitely now a very progressive band, you can tell that their newer releases are very Dream Theater inspired. If you've only heard their early stuff I'd say give them another go with Colors/TGM/TP:HD Smile

I could never get into any Devin Townsend stuff, which is annoying, cos he's a really cool guy Sad I've heard Sumaria before (gave it a listen cos it's got Joe Duplantier and, if I remember correctly, Paul Masvidal?). It's alright. Is there anything you'd say that is more accessible? I mean, I don't mean "non-proggy", I just mean a song/album that on a whole the fans agree is his best?
What you get for having only a few listens of them both, oh well... I might give BTBAM a few more tries then, even though I don't really listen to that much metal these days.

I don't thing the whole devin fan base can agree on anything, he has released quite a bit of different stuff.

Accessible in a poppy kind of way -> Addicted
>Catchy as fuck and filled with clichè
I don't really like this album that much, it has its moments but it is too pop for me. Some songs could/should be radio hits.

Ziltoid the Omniscient
>Kind of a musical, pretty overboard like deconstruction
Made completely Han Solo, Unearthlybrutal would disapprove because of computer drum kit and one guy sitting in front of a computer. Don't know if this is accessible, probably not...

Then the most sure way to get into devin stuff could be giving a listen to these:

Terria
quote from wiki:
Terria has been described as "melodic and atmospheric", with elements of pop and ambience alongside Townsend's trademark heaviness. Terria features musical themes explored in Townsend's previous albums, such as Ocean Machine: Biomech. However, it is more restrained, "using silence as part of the music".

Synchestra
quote from wiki:
Townsend showcased a wide variety of musical styles in Synchestra, blending his trademark "pop metal" with influences from folk, polka, and Middle Eastern music, with "a few headbanging elements" mixed in.

Personally I like the: "fuck all this heavy music, I want to go play folk with friends at the beach" attitude of the newest album Ghost

01-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Find
vaxoxen Offline

Threads: 0

Thanks for the awesome reply, I will definitely check those out Smile

Quote:What you get for having only a few listens of them both, oh well... I might give BTBAM a few more tries then, even though I don't really listen to that much metal these days.

Yeah I don't tend to listen to that much metal. I kinda go through phases of it, and then return to calmer music, like 70s prog and stuff.

Quote:Personally I like the: "fuck all this heavy music, I want to go play folk with friends at the beach" attitude of the newest album Ghost

I like the sound of that!! Big Grin
01-14-2012, 03:12 AM
Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

I don't usually go harder than this

However, this is ok too.
I only like the instrumentals actually, the screaming ain't great.

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2012, 01:35 PM by BlueFury.)
01-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 12

My new guitar and 100w amplifier Smile

ESP Ax-50 Black Satin

[Image: IMG_20111224_190956.jpg]

When Life No Longer Exists
Full-conversion mod
01-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Sexy!

I need an electric guitar, sounds so stupid trying to play songs designed for an electric on an acoustic >_<

Children of Bodom aren't bad. They create a good sound and the screams are refreshing.

I'm not much of a metalhead. Recently i've been listening to a lot more acoustic/emo influenced sounds. Dashboard Confessional etc. And i've been getting into experimental industrial techno too such as Nine Inch Nails.

[Image: luv.gif]
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2012, 01:17 AM by Wooderson.)
01-15-2012, 01:09 AM
Find
vaxoxen Offline

Threads: 0

@Khyrpa
Ghost is great! I've listened to it like 4 times today Big Grin
01-15-2012, 02:37 AM
Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

(01-15-2012, 01:09 AM)Lucke Wrote: sounds so stupid trying to play songs designed for an electric on an acoustic >_<
I know. I've practiced Amon Amarth's songs with my acousticTongue

I have 4 guitars atm. 2 acoustic, one normal electric guitar and one heavy metal guitar (picture)

Full-conversion mod
01-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Website Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Angel Really good brutal death metal band, "Peshmerga". Check them out.

[Image: Peshmerga+cover.jpg]

[Image: logo.jpg]

Full-conversion mod
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM by Unearthlybrutal.)
01-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Website Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

Lucky for me as a rapper that i only need a microphone, those guitars look expensive.

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
01-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Find
TheDarkDescent Offline

Threads: 1

Folk Metal/Viking: Ensiferum - Into Battle - One of the best metal songs i've heard ^^.

Another awesome song by Ensiferum is: Ensiferum - Lai Lai Hei Skip to 0:57 for the good stuff

Melodic Death Metal: I don't listen very much to Death Metal, or melodeath anymore. But one of my favorite bands is In Flames. Here's one of their best song, in my opinion: In Flames - Pinball Map

Another song by In Flames, but much calmer: In Flames - Clarity
And In Flames - Reflect the Storm

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2012, 06:10 PM by TheDarkDescent.)
02-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Find