Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Any News On The Next Instalment?
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
RE: Any News On The Next Instalment?

(07-21-2011, 12:05 PM)Googolplex Wrote: It is horror oriented, but there will be no horror story.
Not mainly a horror game, but a game with horror.

Instead of a pure horror game like Amnesia, they decided to go more in adventure genre.

Amnesia had too much horror for me, I really pissed my pants.
A game like Penumbra with more physical puzzles and secrets would be very good for me.

I only asked me, what kind of light the player use.
Flashlight, Glowstick, Flare, Candle or Latern?

I think, they make a scary game again. But they could not do a game without horror.
Is the game going to have a good plot?! that is one of the reasons I love Frictional Games

01-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11

That's what works well with all Frictional Games's Games. Lighting is the main feature. It's very limited and that's why both games work well in there own way. Amnesia you get a lantern with limited amount of oil and Penumbra you get a glow-stick with limited range and a flashlight (which I found not very useful at times)

Depending on what year the game will be set and where e.t.c, they will still make a great story and plot to the games. I think they did it better in Penumbra because there was a bit more interaction with characters.

I still haven't heard anything new yet, but I'm guessing we should hear something new this year.

Think A Little, Change A Lot
01-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Find
Gasjockey Offline

Threads: 1

Wasn't the next game gonna be more story-focused? I don't remember where, but I'm pretty sure I read that someplace.

Member of the secret society of TCaMtRLHfPSMUYRYRtWWtPtKYOoPFatHHG
01-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

I think I remember seeing that somewhere as well. I know it's not going to be as "horror-based" but I'm sure it will still be scary

01-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48

(01-10-2012, 11:37 AM)Gasjockey Wrote: Wasn't the next game gonna be more story-focused? I don't remember where, but I'm pretty sure I read that someplace.
I hope so, 'cause at some moments in Amnesia , I found myself wondering what I was doing, and why.
In Penumbra you never forget why you are wandering around in dangerous places. You had to find your father.
Also we got much more backstory on the main character Philip before the game started. I felt more connected to Philip than for Daniel. Also, in Penumbra, there were at least some persons where you could talk listen to.

That's why I find Penumbra better then Amnesia, despite the updated engine.
It's all about story! Not just scares.

01-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(01-10-2012, 01:54 PM)Leon Kennedy Wrote:
(01-10-2012, 11:37 AM)Gasjockey Wrote: Wasn't the next game gonna be more story-focused? I don't remember where, but I'm pretty sure I read that someplace.
I hope so, 'cause at some moments in Amnesia , I found myself wondering what I was doing, and why.
In Penumbra you never forget why you are wandering around in dangerous places. You had to find your father.
Also we got much more backstory on the main character Philip before the game started. I felt more connected to Philip than for Daniel. Also, in Penumbra, there were at least some persons where you could talk listen to.

That's why I find Penumbra better then Amnesia, despite the updated engine.
It's all about story! Not just scares.

I agree with you pal Smile I like the more scares/moments-that-make-you-jump in Amnesia, but liked how Penumbra had more story.

As for the next installment, I think it will be in a jungle area. I have seen moving grass in a HPL3 engine video (link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5dwhrYBN4c). Let's say you're out to rescue someone or out to find something.. and some THING is living in the area!

How about this as a 'teaser' trailer idea, you see 3 Brutes from Amnesia see something in the opposite direction from you and go after it (out of view and into the jungle), but then suddenly the Brutes are running terrified and are quickly killed by a monster. Then you feel it gaze in your direction!

01-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Yeah I've seen that video with the grass. Seen something about a terrain generator as well, so I can only guess that the next title will be in the open. Maybe a bit more free-roam. There still should be indoor areas e.t.c, like in previous games, just to mix up the atmosphere. Can't imagine what the next monster will look like haha

01-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Ain't had any updates in a while, but I found this on the blog today (Feb 6th).

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2012...anted.html

States that they are working on more Environment work so this almost confirms that this will be more adventure and involve more exploration. This is going to be a huge game by the sounds of it.

Also the time span is only 6 - 8 months, so we could hear some news in the next few months and looks like a possible 2013 release

02-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Find
ashstache Offline

Threads: 0

So anyway, I got bored (as you do) and was looking for updates. while having a spruce on google maps, I came to the conclusion; either the game features multiple landscapes, or, the places aren't the final locations, they are points on a map.

So, by drawing a line through the map, there are 2 places where china and boreray intersect. One is somewhere in russia (really boring) a place called brinsk or something.

The other was more interesting.

It was located close to outside straits of Gibraltar, and looking it up, somewhere there was the location of the Pillars of Hercules, the furthest Hercules went in his 12 tasks. While that may not mean much to many of you, the pillars are what used to be mt atlas, and are also considered the main path to atlantis...

I personally think its a bit TOO far fetched, but I got bored and this got the ideas flowing. Chances are the'yre going to update it at least 2 more times before a full reveal, so I imagine more locations are gonna pop up... but they might not, who knows?
02-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

The 3 point location does looks promissing now. I bet they will release more locations though.

Took this from wiki about Boreray:
Quote: Macauley (1764) reported the existence of five druidic altars in the islands including a large circle of stones fixed perpendicularly in the ground, by the Stallar House.[11]
Seems a bit mysterious

02-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Find