Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Work in progress The Ascent: Screenshots
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23
RE: The Ascent

yeah i intentionally tried to avoid that route, but it's hard to give the player a backstory without boring them with walls of text, so alot of the info you will get will be in the form of short notes, and throughout the story you will have to put the peices together to understand it all. I suppose amnesia, and alot of other good games already do this, leaving more to the imagination, which then improves the story in itself

08-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Find
Tenno Offline

Threads: 0

(08-02-2011, 01:11 AM)DRedshot Wrote: yeah i intentionally tried to avoid that route, but it's hard to give the player a backstory without boring them with walls of text, so alot of the info you will get will be in the form of short notes, and throughout the story you will have to put the peices together to understand it all. I suppose amnesia, and alot of other good games already do this, leaving more to the imagination, which then improves the story in itself

I totally agree, so many custom stories are ruined by their storyline having a lack of effort. A gripping story makes all the difference instead of constantly relying on scares to immerse players.

[Image: 29069he.gif]
08-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

i will need playtesters to test out the first map, i'd need to know if the puzzles are too difficult/easy, and also i'd like to know you're interpretation of the story, ie - is it easy to understand, and does it make sense. Finally, i'd only want people who aren't too bothered about my story, and wouldn't mind the first part of the story being spoiled early. PM me if you're interested, and i'll send you the download link when it's ready! (that maybe in a couple of days yet). Thanks.

08-05-2011, 02:45 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Update: screenshots of the first area released! Let me know what you think!

08-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Find
MasaMainio Offline

Threads: 2

Wow. This is going to be A great one.

Look pretty good according to those screenshots.
I also like that you used a different kind of story. not like some boring one like: You wake up in a prison and your memory is lost. There are ugleh monster that want to eat U! get Out!!

Really waiting for this one. Keep up the good work!
08-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

(08-06-2011, 08:38 PM)MasaMainio Wrote: Wow. This is going to be A great one.

Look pretty good according to those screenshots.
I also like that you used a different kind of story. not like some boring one like: You wake up in a prison and your memory is lost. There are ugleh monster that want to eat U! get Out!!

Really waiting for this one. Keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot! stuff like this make me motivated to improve, and keep working on it! Also, on a (somewhat) unrelated note: i like to reward the player for exploring, so in this story there will be quite a few 'side puzzles' which can be followed to unlock doors, find secret places etc... In some cases there may only be a few 'major' puzzles, and the rest be side quests. So remember to explore and you will be rewarded! - try to break the game and you might get punished Tongue

08-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Find
Mosnye Offline

Threads: 3

Those screenshots are looking sexy! Big Grin

[Image: a.jpg]
08-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Website Find
DRedshot Offline

Update: I've added some gameplay footage to the original post (it's not great), i was going to make a trailer but i have no experience with video editing... Unless somebody is willing to help me out with that! Smile
- help from Mosnye, he recorded the footage on his computer, and sent it to me for editing, because i cant run it at a good fps with high texture quality, and i don't have the full version of FRAPS...

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM by DRedshot.)
08-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Find
MasaMainio Offline

Threads: 2

Nice video.Really gives me more thoughts that how great it will be.
Keep up the good work.
08-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

thanks a lot, i was a bit worried that i'd somehow make people less interested, by not showing them any puzzles, but i'd rather only let you see them in the final release

08-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Find